Changes v North

Remove this Banner Ad

Wallis wasn't terrible today. Back him in.

Surprised Lipinski isn't in the gun. We are too mid heavy and Lipi is Horrible when it's hot. Then again we are playing Norf so he should dominate and maybe Norf will try and trade for him.

Out Lipinski
In Cavarra

Out Scott
In Wood

Would think about West or JJ for McNeil

If it wasn't Goldy, a good game to rest a ruck. So maybe not this week

This is the 5th time Beveridges bulldogs have started 2-0 (which is kinda surprising)

We are 0-4 from this position in round 3, losing to very ordinary gold Coast and Freo sides in two of those losses.

Very nervous about this game.

I am the absolute opposite and have never, ever been more certain of a win.
I hate being cocky and thinking anything is a certain win, especially in the modern game which is ultra competitive.

Without wanting to be disrespectful to #lolnorf Norf North, they are rebuilding HARD and will be taking short term pain for long term gain. We’ve been there, other clubs have been there, it is what it is.

They got clearly shown up by port, then struggled with a very low score against GC who despite being better regarded in recent years, are still very much a work in progress.

Martin (if played) against Goldy is a much more even contest than Nic Nat, Cunnington is coming back for them but is one more back injury away from an early retirement. They will have their moments but I expect we will win the possession count by 100+, inside 50’s by 20+ and score by 40+.

No way would I drop McNeil. He was so much better this week and did a few nice things that resulted in goals. His speed and agility complement our other forwards.

I would leave out Scott who is playing a role that should see more output. Would be happy to see JJ get a go, or rejigger the roles and bring in Wood or Khamis for more backline height.

If we don't beat North by minimum 50 points next Friday, I think I'd consider it a poor result
This is the game Bevo tries all his weird shit. Guaranteed.

Realistically should be aiming for a 10 goal percentage booster. Every year we seem to be terrible on percentage and it hurts us going into the final rounds. Let’s put the foot on the throat.

Out:
McNeil - Improved yesterday but think West will give our forward line something that it needs. He’s had a taste and can earn his spot back with some good VFL form.
Scott - Didn’t do anything wrong necessarily but just doesn’t offer much. We need to play Wood if we’re going to run with 2 key defenders, allow Williams a little more freedom.

In: West, Wood

Hunter and Wallis have enough credits to get one more week but if they dish up what they have then they should be replaced. The Cavarra, West & Weightman types should be breathing down their necks and it seems they are.

Do we debut Sweet? 5 day break and a massive game for Martin on NicNat yesterday, and a big ask to back it up on Goldy. Sweet was fantastic in the half of the VFL I saw, I think he’s due a taste. Martin can use the week to refresh before a big run of games for him. If he doesn’t need it no point I guess but the 5 day break is a concern on a monster effort yesterday, hes so so important to our hopes this year I want to manage him correctly.

Although they probably should be out we are only playing North, so I actually think they’ll back McNeil and Scott in for a confidence boosting game.

Someone or two will be rested for Wood and Cavarra I’d imagine.

Cant believe JJ can’t get a look in but I guess they’re making him earn his spot back. If he hits form with the current rules it’s a giant bonus to our side.

Think we have one too many mids in. I don't like Lapinski and Hunter spending lots of time forward especially with another mid resting there
Correct. Hunter has absolutely no goal sense or forward craft. He is a hard running accumulator who needs to play on a wing or doesn’t play. Prefer JJ in his role. Lipinski looks to have taken the next step as a mid/wingman and does have goal sense in my opinion.

I hope we make 3 or 4 changes with the short turnaround this week.

West for McNeill
Wood for Scott
JJ for Hunter
Cav for Wally

Tough calls on Hunter and Wally, but we have quicker, craftier forwards playing VFL atm.

No way would I drop McNeil. He was so much better this week and did a few nice things that resulted in goals. His speed and agility complement our other forwards.

I would leave out Scott who is playing a role that should see more output. Would be happy to see JJ get a go, or rejigger the roles and bring in Wood or Khamis for more backline height.
9 disposals, 0 goals, our forward line is by far our biggest weakness and there is no way you would drop McNeil?

There are plenty of players with speed and agility, that doesn't necessarily mean they are good forwards. McNeil was a midfielder at SANFL level, why should he be selected ahead of Cavarra, who's been one of the best small forwards in the VFL for multiple years, and just kicked 4 goals in the reserves match?

Yes, McNeil did some good things late in the game. Should that mean "doing some good things" secures your spot every week? While other contending teams have 30-50 goal a year small forwards like Liam Ryan and Charlie Cameron?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone not going that is interested in sharing barcodes for this game please let me know. I need three seats but only have home game barcodes so will be forced to wait for general public allocation.

This will be the only away game we can get to.

Cheers in anticipation.

Scott out - Wood in/JJ in/Cordy in
McNeil out - Cavarra in/West in/JJ in

Cavarra needs a game due to VFL performances. Scott just isn't offering enough. Not a stopper or an attacking link. We have better players for that position.

McNeil has a bit to work with but I feel like there are others playing VFL that could do his role better.

Do we debut Sweet? 5 day break and a massive game for Martin on NicNat yesterday, and a big ask to back it up on Goldy. Sweet was fantastic in the half of the VFL I saw, I think he’s due a taste. Martin can use the week to refresh before a big run of games for him. If he doesn’t need it no point I guess but the 5 day break is a concern on a monster effort yesterday, hes so so important to our hopes this year I want to manage him correctly.
I would love to see this!!!
Anyone that has a bit soreness should have a rest with the 5 day brake.

I would love to see this!!!
Anyone that has a bit soreness should have a rest with the 5 day brake.

Not sure about resting players so early in the season. North are terrible but it sends the wrong message. I hope we come out with an edge on Friday looking for a big win. Sweep the leg.

Not sure about resting players so early in the season. North are terrible but it sends the wrong message. I hope we come out with an edge on Friday looking for a big win. Sweep the leg.
It probably is early to be resting but in saying that we should be adopting a pretty heavy rotation policy this year, we’ve got the depth and the blokes knocking down the door to rest the odd player here and there and keep everyone fresh. You see a lot of soft tissue injures this early in the year as players readjust to being match fit which is so so different to preseason fitness, a 5 day break can be pretty dangerous. I don’t think it sends a bad message to let someone (like Treloar whose had issues previously etc) take a week off and replace him with a guy whose deserving of a shot. Also I think we can still put them to the edge, maybe even more so if blokes like West and Cav are coming in knowing they have to play out of their skins to keep their spots with the rested players coming back.

I’d be saying to Wally this week, have the week off, clear your head a bit and train the house down. West can take his spot. Reassess next week.

Could be the difference at the end of the season if we’ve done it right.

I would be staggered if we made 2+ changes to this team after that game, let alone the 3-4 some are suggesting.

I can understand the rationale behind dropping mids for forwards but at the game I actually felt that our forward structure and system worked better than I've seen it in a long time. Yes the ball bobbled around and we lacked a genuine crumber, but we generated 30 shots from 51 entries. A far bigger issue was wasting those opportunities, not creating them.

We also need to remember that this is the second game we've played with a forward structure that looks like this in, what, over a decade? We were replacing Naughton with Bont in our rotations to ensure that we had 2+ KPFs at all times - when have we ever seen or done that? There is a lot of differences in the way our forward line is operating this year, and that needs time to gel. We saw some positives with Bruce and Naughton getting more of it and being used more, Wallis looked like he'd found a role (but, yes, butchered them on an off night), Vandermeer is excelling in his role and English is growing. We need to give it more time, not flip it around every week.

Likewise, there are concerns over Wood's fitness, and this isn't really a week where we're desperate for that extra tall. Our backline held up relatively well (most of the time) again, too, so I'd happily give him another week to build fitness in the interests of keeping a winning team together.

McNeil did some lovely things towards the end of the game, and I think we have a good one there, but he's not quite ready. Cavarra has earned his chance and should play.

Outside of that, I wouldn't be pushing for any changes.

I reckon McNeil should have a block in the reserves, particularly as a small forward since that's where he has been pegged in the senior side.

REALLY keen for Cavarra to get a run at it. I have faith he will be a solid player for us.

I saw him torch Footscray a few years ago when he was playing for Willi at WO. Been a fan since.

Out Martin.
In Sweet.

Not sure why many think Martin is playing every week.... he needs to make it through to September and he would be rather sore by now. Sweet needs to get a shot to show IF he can replace Martin next year.... otherwise list management needs to target another Ruckman.

Out Hunter
In JJ

Out Scott
In Cavara

Cavara being an actual small forward....

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes v North

Remove this Banner Ad

Back