Changes v Pies (Rd 12) - Dawes in for Toumpas

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although, maybe Frawley plays back on Cloke, who is surely too strong for either of McDonald or Garland.

tru, but i think the way our mids have been pushing back and clogging up avenues to the key fwds will shut him out more than his direct opponent.
we have done very well and not letting the key fwd getting the delivery they desire.

If he starts clunking a few, then make the change. personally let him take marks past half way, i dont care if he marks them up there. just ware himself out, Macca will run all day.

tru, but i think the way our mids have been pushing back and clogging up avenues to the key fwds will shut him out more than his direct opponent.
we have done very well and not letting the key fwd getting the delivery they desire.

If he starts clunking a few, then make the change. personally let him take marks past half way, i dont care if he marks them up there. just ware himself out, Macca will run all day.
Problem is I don't think he has been roaming up the ground as much as in the past - and he was one of the best at those repeat leads up to the wing and back.

If he's left one-out with McDonald close to goal, it starts to get worrying.

The other talls they have up there will be White and Witts/Grundy (assuming Grundy comes straight back in) plus Elliot who is small but has a huge leap on him. Leaving Frawley forward means that Dunn takes White and Garland the ruckman I suppose. Howe seems like a good match for Elliot but again, that doesn't fill me with confidence as his defending can leave a bit to be desired at times despite the intercept marking ability.

Although, maybe Frawley plays back on Cloke, who is surely too strong for either of McDonald or Garland.

Cloke is pretty far out of form at the moment, so I reckon we'll start Frawley forward and see how we start.

If Cloke starts rag-dolling McDonald or Garland, we may send Chip back.

Pederson is another option to stand Cloke, with Howe floating back.

Problem is I don't think he has been roaming up the ground as much as in the past - and he was one of the best at those repeat leads up to the wing and back.

The other talls they have up there will be White and Witts/Grundy (assuming Grundy comes straight back in) plus Elliot who is small but has a huge leap on him. Leaving Frawley forward means that Dunn takes White and Garland the ruckman I suppose. Howe seems like a good match for Elliot but again, that doesn't fill me with confidence as his defending can leave a bit to be desired at times despite the intercept marking ability.

yeh i dont think he will get one out to often, have done well on stopping that, but all depends on if we can stop the delivery. i recon pedo might take white dunn on spud witts ( honestly he is average at best). howe and Elliot could be a huge match up, almost game defining.

other option could be Dunn Fwd, but love he long kick from defence. I cant wait to see the line up and how it goes, who will jetta go with? Blair, he has been not to shabby for them of late.

Grimes or Jetta to Elliott then? If they can cut off his run at the ball his marking would be stopped. The other to take Blair. White and Witts are both ordinary I think so Dunn and Garland would be able to drop off and help Tom out. Cutting the supply (or at least making it sloppier) would go a long way to stopping Cloke I think. He had a good game last week but I wouldn't say he's back in form; the Saints haven't got great tall backs.

USually match up okay against the Pies. Watts says it's the big game they really want... Hope the Dees show a bit (like they have recently) so people continue to start taken them seriously

USually match up okay against the Pies. Watts says it's the big game they really want... Hope the Dees show a bit (like they have recently) so people continue to start taken them seriously
i think we do to, now! we haven't got within 40 points over the past 3 games. don't recon we matched up well in those games

Yeah from a quick glance at their team from last week, their tall defenders minus Maxwell are Frost, Keeffe and Goldsack. If those guys go to Dawes, Frawley and Pedersen respectively that leaves Watts to probably play on Heritier (or possibly Toovey?). I don't think we will go in with Gawn as well, but we should certainly be able to exploit that height - those defenders are all good players but hopefully we can work it to our advantage.

Langdon may possibly have to play on Watts too, further limiting their damaging run off halfback.

Let's not fall into the standard trap of "they're missing tall defenders, let's load up our forward line with tall forwards"

They'll just run the ball out of there quicker than anything. Pederson, Dawes and the resting ruck man is the maximum for me, with Frawley down back. I'd even be tempted to drop Gawn and let Pederson play backup ruckman, and Watts key forward.

Collingwood will have two ruckmen
Neither of whom are particularly good rucks. Grundy is competitive and has aggro and all that but his ruckwork is pretty average from what I've seen. Ditto for Witts. I think Jamar and Pedo could handle them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neither of whom are particularly good rucks. Grundy is competitive and has aggro and all that but his ruckwork is pretty average from what I've seen. Ditto for Witts. I think Jamar and Pedo could handle them.

Grundy is a 20 year old! His ruckwork is as competitive as you'd expect, he'd towel Pedo up.

This is a big call, but don't be surprised to see Dunn on Cloke. Only gives away an inch and is probably our best one-on-one defender. Otherwise, I reckon they'll bring Frawley back and play Pedo as the 2nd forward.

Grundy is a 20 year old! His ruckwork is as competitive as you'd expect, he'd towel Pedo up.
Yes he's a very good young ruck, but overall he isn't that great. I doubt he'd towel Pedo up. He'd probably win more often then not, but it'd hardly be a toweling. Anyways I'd imagine Pedo would ruck more against Witts. Who seems to be their 2nd at the moment.

This is a big call, but don't be surprised to see Dunn on Cloke. Only gives away an inch and is probably our best one-on-one defender. Otherwise, I reckon they'll bring Frawley back and play Pedo as the 2nd forward.
If Frawley heads back to play on Cloke I would expect Dunn or Howe, or maybe Garland, to swing forward depending on matchups.

But he's shit, why should he get a game?
So that we can confirm that he's shit under Roos too and delist him at the end of the year with no regrets :p Same with Strauss and Blease. If Roosy can't get anything out of them when he's made Bail and Pedersen into AFL-quality players, no one can.

So that we can confirm that he's shit under Roos too and delist him at the end of the year with no regrets :p Same with Strauss and Blease. If Roosy can't get anything out of them when he's made Bail and Pedersen into AFL-quality players, no one can.
Why do they need to get a game to confirm that they can't play, not being able to make the team confirms that for me.

Why do they need to get a game to confirm that they can't play, not being able to make the team confirms that for me.
Which is why we want to see them make the team, because it would mean that the coaching staff think they've improved appropriately.

Which is why we want to see them make the team, because it would mean that the coaching staff think they've improved appropriately.
Of course I would love to see these players hit big form and break into the side, but at them moment they are all struggling and aren't even close.

Yep. It does pain me to say it but these guys are just so far behind the pack right now. They struggle for 20 touches and a half-positive player review in the vfl.

It's just not happening for them. 5+ years on the list (okay, some rough luck with injuries), but none has the tank nor the heart to run out an afl game under Roos game plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back