Changes v Sydney Rd 5

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't accept the our bev led match committee actually believes Cordy will lock down the 1st ruck position.

The only way this makes sense is that Cordy is slightly more agile than minson and Campbell and more able to provide defensive pressure - the 1%ers

If we look at McEvoy - after his move to the Hawks he has slimmed down and is far more agile than he was at the saints. Clearly the Hawks have for some time insisted that their ruck man must contribute in defensive contributions more than other clubs.

Minson and Campbell simply must get quicker and leaner if possible
Whether this improves their agility is not certain. Alternatively, they have to become marking beasts

Either way the pressure is on them

Fascinating to see how this plays out
Good observation. Noticeable with Lake as well when he went over there too. How nice would it be to have a ruckman that would reliably pluck a mark on the wing in a pack of 3 players?

Would have thought Roughy is the perfect match-up for Tippett.

Just wondering what everyone else is thinking if he were to pinch hit in the ruck, do we have enough height there to contain a Tippett/Reid (assuming Tals is locked down to Buddy)?

Wet weather obviously aids us in this instance, but is quite intriguing.

Bev said Minson lost his spot due to competition what a load of crap , he got dropped for Cordy who at the time had a total of 4 possesions for the year

Bev said Minson lost his spot due to competition what a load of crap , he got dropped for Cordy who at the time had a total of 4 possesions for the year
Will you just enjoy the 3-1 start to the season? Sick and tired of seeing your negativity plague this place. Don't think anyone could have hoped for a better start to the season.

Would have thought Roughy is the perfect match-up for Tippett.

Just wondering what everyone else is thinking if he were to pinch hit in the ruck, do we have enough height there to contain a Tippett/Reid (assuming Tals is locked down to Buddy)?

Wet weather obviously aids us in this instance, but is quite intriguing.
Dare say Roughy will follow Tippett into the ruck like he did Jenkins last week. Tippett has been rucking a bit lately.

Agree to disagree. He was elected, that's a fact. I guess you're more referring to the assumption that he's respected? Fair call, but it would be unusual for someone to be elected to something if they didn't have respect from a majority.

We don't know how many candidates there were - he may have been elected unopposed. He may also have been elected without even a single vote from a team-mate. He may have been the lesser of two or more evils. You have no idea whether his position on the AFLPA is because he is popular with Western Bulldog players, so the "facts" are not established and don't necessarily support your assertion.

Will may well be popular, but you are passing off your opinion that he is as a fact, as so often happens on here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tippett and Reid aren't that good IMO. Throwing it out there.

Buddy, McVeigh, shaw, Hannebery and kennedy run the swannies.
Interested to hear your thoughts about how we will operate given the likely wet weather, Fronk?

In particular our entries inside 50 and how the Swans may look to exploit our (assumed) inability to play in wet weather given our brand through rounds 1-4?

This is neither here nor there, but In JJs Q&A on the doggies site, he said the quickest guy at the club was out of Jong (no surprise) and Hamling (really?) with himself being thereabouts.

Hamling equal quickest at the club? I wonder about his capacity to play Grants role as a high half forward? Is it his fitness that is the issue or?
Hamling's got very good closing speed - ie as a key defender, his main strength is he has the speed to close out straight-line leads.
When you think about it, it's not a bad recruitment in regards to our key defenders - he offers something different. Roughead is tall and has a long reach, meaning he gets a fist in often, which is his main strength. Talia's strength is he's good one-on-one from a high ball, and he reads the play well. Roberts has a very high footy IQ - he reads the play very well. Roberts is pretty slow, but because he reads the play well and his positioning is very good, he minimises the occurrences in which he's burnt for pace. I've only ever seen it two or three times in the games he's played, but he's been burnt for pace when, for example, him and another key forward are sprinting for a loose ball. The point being, Hamling's good speed is unique among our key defender stocks and therefore it's a good recruitment.

Will be interesting to see how we go in the wet. I think our game will transition pretty well. We've got a pretty strong, and overall big team (although I'd love Wallis back in the clinches, and obviously libba) with contested ball still being a big strength, guys like Dahl, Clay and Jong are built for those sort of conditions, just throwing themselves at the ball and man. Rain also doesn't stop our pressure and defensive work which has been insane. The smaller forward line we played with last week will be more effective and all Boyd needs to do is keep bringing it to ground. The wet will obviously make it a lot harder to move the ball slickly but to be honest were still not always that clean anyway, we just move the ball at pace and get into space so it usually doesn't matter too much if were a bit sloppy. If the conditions are going to be like that IMO Minson is an absolute must. A high stoppage slog against one of the best midfields is made for him.

In saying that its going to be a bloody challenge, slightly more confident after sunday!
The thing with it being extremely wet is that it will diminish, if not deny completely, our preferred method of scoring. That being fast rebound from a forced turnover in our defensive half. I believe we will acquit ourselves well at the contest. This is still ingrained in the players from BMac.
Our zone defence, with slight adjustments, should also stand up well.
I agree with you that the wet will make it harder to move the ball and this will be our biggest problem IMO. I have referred to it before, but I still believe we need to improve significantly in transitioning the ball, from defensive half to forward half, when the opposition has had time to implement their own defensive structures. With it being a wet, higher stoppage game this will give Sydney significant time to set their zone.
Beverige is yet to show his hand definitively on how he wants us to move the ball in these situations. How we evolve to do this will become extremely important moving forward. Better sides are more adapt at recognising the time to attack or to defend and they reposition and implement their systems faster than lower ranked teams. To become a threat to top teams we must develop this area of our game.

Bev's trying to find the right balance for our team structure, making tweaks week-to-week to see what's good and what's bad:
Week 1: Redpath second forward, Boyd ruckin
Week 2-3: Cordy second forward and second ruck
Week 4: Cordy ruck, Roughead second rucking.
As such just 4 weeks you get to see different structures and how they impact on the dynamic of the team and our movement as a whole - and the above is just an example for the second forward/ruck scenario. Through Roughead and now Roberts, we're exploring whether swinging blokes forward and back is worthwhile. I'm pretty sure that Roughy played a few minutes up forward too. Not too long so it mattered on the game, but enough that they can look at how he positioned himself in difference scenarios and that they can review film from the game. I like it.
Good observation 3NP, initially I was slighted as to why Redpath was dropped after one game. I think your analysis is correct and this is further evidence to me that Bev is both calculating and savvy.

I'm sure I'm not alone in my opinion of your posts. Think it is unnecessary and you come across as very immature.

Anyway, I am upset for you that you cannot join in on the buzz surrounding our club at the moment.
Good for me hey

Dare say Roughy will follow Tippett into the ruck like he did Jenkins last week. Tippett has been rucking a bit lately.
I like the Roberts inclusion, it will help against their talls and he can swing between forward and defense when needed. But he'll probably play on Reid I guess.

Yep, Roughy being used like a Jackson Trengove might work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes v Sydney Rd 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back