Changes v Sydney Rd 5

Remove this Banner Ad

This is neither here nor there, but In JJs Q&A on the doggies site, he said the quickest guy at the club was out of Jong (no surprise) and Hamling (really?) with himself being thereabouts.

Hamling equal quickest at the club? I wonder about his capacity to play Grants role as a high half forward? Is it his fitness that is the issue or?

I can't accept the our bev led match committee actually believes Cordy will lock down the 1st ruck position.

The only way this makes sense is that Cordy is slightly more agile than minson and Campbell and more able to provide defensive pressure - the 1%ers

If we look at McEvoy - after his move to the Hawks he has slimmed down and is far more agile than he was at the saints. Clearly the Hawks have for some time insisted that their ruck man must contribute in defensive contributions more than other clubs.

Minson and Campbell simply must get quicker and leaner if possible
Whether this improves their agility is not certain. Alternatively, they have to become marking beasts

Either way the pressure is on them

Fascinating to see how this plays out

I can't accept the our bev led match committee actually believes Cordy will lock down the 1st ruck position.

The only way this makes sense is that Cordy is slightly more agile than minson and Campbell and more able to provide defensive pressure - the 1%ers

If we look at McEvoy - after his move to the Hawks he has slimmed down and is far more agile than he was at the saints. Clearly the Hawks have for some time insisted that their ruck man must contribute in defensive contributions more than other clubs.

Minson and Campbell simply must get quicker and leaner if possible
Whether this improves their agility is not certain. Alternatively, they have to become marking beasts

Either way the pressure is on them

Fascinating to see how this plays out

My take on it is that our team selection now is pretty much spot on. The only obvious one I would like to change is that Campbell swaps in for Cordy and that Campbell ruck 70% of the game, Roughead 20% of the game and if needed Boyd can take some forward stoppages if for instance Campbell is subbed off or Roughead is required in defence.

Out of the the 3 rucks I believe Campbell is the best in terms of tapping it to advantage and he is without question the best contested mark of the bunch as well as the better forward out of the 3.

In the future my team going forward would be (next 6 - 8 weeks)

FB: Wood, Talia, JJ
HB: Murphy, Roberts#, Boyd
C: Jong, Bontempelli, Macrae
HF: Dickson, Stringer, Crameri
FF: Hrovat, T.Boyd, Honeychurch
R: Campbell, Wallis, Dahlhaus
Int: Webb, Smith, Roughead*
Sub: Stevens%

*Roughead starts on the bench not because he's not in the best 18 which he quite clearly is but rather we can fit him anywhere (back, ruck, forward) wherever he is needed.

#This is to give Roberts an extended chance at senior level and if we don't think hes up to it then Hamling gets a crack. Either of these 2 players should be able to have stints at CHF when Roughead is covering in defence. If that doesn't work then we look at Henderson/Carlisle.

% Stevens is a great depth player but we should look at WHE if we don't have to pursue Henderson/Carlisle for that X factor.

Sorry for mixing team selection and list management but I think this is the way forward.
Cordy needs a big game as I think Campbell will provide more.

With Roberts coming into the team I wouldn't be surprised if Bevo's long term plan is for Roughie to play mobile ruck/forward/back. Basically the ultimate swingman.

Depends on match ups each week but that is clearly the message this year, being versitile for each side you come up against.

Am happy to go with the MC for now on Grant, Minson and Cordy.

Not convinced that keeping Minson in the Reserves is a 'horses for courses' type scenario. Bevo has obviously seen something he doesn't like and is prepared to play less experienced guys ahead of reputations. I like his conviction.

On Stringer...rather see him rested and kick a bag against the Saints than on the deck on Sydney rolling around in the puddles. Especially if he's not 100%

Good luck to Roberts too. Big assignment to hold down one of Franklin, Tippett, Goodes or Reid...especially when their big bodied midfield start streaming through the middle.

Roberts is a one grab type if I'm not mistaken and these guys tend to play well in the wet.

He also kicks the ball well which you would imagine Bev rates highly after coming from the poos and wees.
Roberts played well in slippery conditions against……….Melbourne (from memory)???

Definitely a one touch player. Excellent skills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could fletch be in the team to be accountable for Reid regardless of which end he's at? If Reid is down back fletch goes forward so their 3 kpd are accountable, if Reid goes forward we've got cover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I doubt Roberts was picked to nullify Reid alone. Reid is bordering on dud. In the wet he will be next to ineffective.

My guess Fletch is in the side in case Franklin gets off the Talia chain. Need a back up option and roughy isnt the right match up for Lance.

I reckon Bevo is challenging some poor work ethic. Whatever it is, he's not allowing a reputation get ahead of poor form...I like it, if that's the case.
Poor positioning in the defensive zone. Leaked 5 goals versus the Weagirls. Couple versus the Tigers. Hawks he just didn't provide enough defense while cordy played poorly in defense, but was still more useful for the team than Minson.

Tippett, Franklin and Reid - very tall forward line and it's going to be very wet. Risky.

The wet won't mean too much for Buddy, Tippett is a potato most of the time and should be more or less invisible in the weather, Reid is a bit of a wildcard after last week

Do you guys think Stringer will play as he had that Hammy last week ? could there be a late change with Goodes coming in ?
Heard one whisper that he might not play. My guess at this stage is that he will play ... but it could explain why a KPP like Roberts has come in.

Plenty of divisive characters have been elected to public office and as office bearers in organisations. You are making a big assumption - not stating a fact.
Agree to disagree. He was elected, that's a fact. I guess you're more referring to the assumption that he's respected? Fair call, but it would be unusual for someone to be elected to something if they didn't have respect from a majority.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes v Sydney Rd 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back