Unofficial Preview Changes vs Giants - round 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know, but it's interesting to realise he moved to GWS in the same player movement period that Joe moved to us. I wonder who we'd rather have now. I love Joe, but he has at least one WTF moment every week šŸ˜‚
The WTF moments are part of the reason we love Joe!
He's certainly been part of the reason people watch and talk about Brisbane over the journey, and he's had a more consistent output. The only knock on Joe goal-wise was the first half of this season, which has given Hogan more goals (but Joe has more goals every other season). Joe has had more shots this season (and every season), more possessions, and has been our 2nd ruck.

I'd love Jesse Hogan too, but I choose Joe.
1722916671477.png

Will be quite a few changes this game against the Giants from our previous game against them:

Assuming Hipwood comes back in this week for Smith.

Missing Last Game:

McInerney, Bailey, Ashcroft, Morris, Brain, Reville, Prior

Missing This Game:

Fort, McCarthy, Payne, Gardiner, Answorth, McKenna, Tunstill

I think that we will field a stronger team this week.

Interesting to note also that Andrews, Payne, Gardiner & Lester all played last time too.

Will be quite a few changes this game against the Giants from our previous game against them:

Assuming Hipwood comes back in this week for Smith.

Missing Last Game:

McInerney, Bailey, Ashcroft, Morris, Brain, Reville, Prior

Missing This Game:

Fort, McCarthy, Payne, Gardiner, Answorth, McKenna, Tunstill

I think that we will field a stronger team this week.

Interesting to note also that Andrews, Payne, Gardiner & Lester all played last time too.
As long as Smith stays healthy, that GWS game may be Forts last.
Unless he has played since. šŸ¤”

And to balance up the ledger of INS/OUTS for the Giants from last game:

From the Giants team that played against Hawthorn on Sunday, add in Josh Kelly.

Missing Last Game Against Brisbane:

Toby Greene, Sam Taylor, Fonti, McMullin

Missing This Game Against Brisbane:

Brown, Riccardi, Leek, Wehr

Obviously a couple of big names - Greene & Taylor coming in.

But not playing are Riccardi & possibly Brown who eached kicked 3 goals against us. Riccardi is out injured & Brown has been out of form. He may come back in this week?

Oh wow, Joyce is listed as a test. That's surprising

View attachment 2070520
That is awesome news, ideally we need to get a couple of games into Joyce and/or Payne before finals.

Payne listed as 2 weeks so he may be able to play in the last round v the Bombers.

Play it safe with Hipwood's groin, if there is doubt leave him out another week, although Fages did say he could of played against the Saints at a pinch.

NO MORE INJURIES PLEASE FOOTY GODS!

And to balance up the ledger of INS/OUTS for the Giants from last game:

From the Giants team that played against Hawthorn on Sunday, add in Josh Kelly.

Missing Last Game Against Brisbane:

Toby Greene, Sam Taylor, Fonti, McMullin

Missing This Game Against Brisbane:

Brown, Riccardi, Leek, Wehr

Obviously a couple of big names - Greene & Taylor coming in.

But not playing are Riccardi & possibly Brown who eached kicked 3 goals against us. Riccardi is out injured & Brown has been out of form. He may come back in this week?
Brown & Riccardi kicked 3 goals each that day being only 2 less than the Lions total of 8 goals.

Star midfielder Josh Kelly has been cleared to return for this Saturdayā€™s top four clash against the Lions at the Gabba.

The GIANTSā€™ other vice-captain, Stephen Coniglio, will be a test for the round 22 clash, with the star midfielder continuing to advance in his contact training with Thursdayā€™s training session important as Coniglio looks to prove his fitness.

1722926706702.png

I don't know, but it's interesting to realise he moved to GWS in the same player movement period that Joe moved to us. I wonder who we'd rather have now. I love Joe, but he has at least one WTF moment every week šŸ˜‚
I dont think there is any doubt weā€™d take Joe.

Hogan is still a bit of a douchebag as evidenced by the carry on the other week when he wasnā€™t handed a goal on a platter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tough call but I'd bring in Joyce for prior. Will be very important for Lester to try and help out as much as possible if he goes to Hogan

I'd be open to keeping Prior in and popping Brain as the sub.

I think Iā€™m erring with Eric, but thatā€™s probably because Iā€™m shitting myself about picking up any extra injuries. I also think weā€™ve been caught out on a couple of guys coming back underdone this year (McKenna/Payne) and that didnā€™t work out for us. If in any doubt whatsoever give him an extra week. Weā€™ll need him next month.

Joyce will be a handy in though if he gets up, which Iā€™m not sure many of us wouldā€™ve said earlier in the year.

I'm so torn between Morris and Smith to be honest.

I know what Morris can do, his ability to run back and support defense is top notch and he has an uncanny knack of bobbing up to kick goals. He provides great balance in terms of being that elusive 3rd tall so I'm a big fan. Let me get this out first.

On the other hand, what Smith did in the last game has got me swaying. He is not your best tall forward, he's not the best kick for goal etc. But because of his current deficiencies in the overall package, the game plan looks very very simple for him. Play deep out of goal square, compete as a big body and bring the ball to ground. Make sure you contest every single time and ensure the ball doesn't get marked cleanly. He did this so well against Callum Wilkie last round, I'm so tempted to wheel him out in front of Sam Taylor and see what he can do. If he breaks even and brings the ball to ground like last time, our smalls will go to work. He would be pretty good as a relief ruck for Big O as well.

It also means we can release Hipwood or Daniher further up the field. One of them will be more mobile and play on the 3rd defender which will be a major advantage for us.

Last edited:
I'm so torn between Morris and Smith to be honest.

I know what Morris can do, his ability to run back and support defense is top notch and he has an uncanny knack of bobbing up to kick goals. He provides great balance in terms of being that elusive 3rd tall so I'm a big fan. Let me get this out first.

On the other hand, what Smith did in the last game has got me swaying. He is not your best tall forward, he's not the best kick for goal etc. But because of his current deficiencies in the overall package, the game plan looks very very simple for him. Play deep out of goal square, compete as a big body and bring the ball to ground. Make sure you contest every single time and ensure the ball doesn't get marked cleanly. He did this so well against Callum Wilkie last round, I'm so tempted to wheel him out in front of Sam Taylor and see what he can do. If he breaks even and brings the ball to ground like last time, our smalls will go to work. He would be pretty good as a relief ruck for Big O as well.

It also means we can release Hipwood or Daniher further up the field. One of them will be more mobile and play on the 3rd defender which will be a major advantage for us.
I want to see more of Smith before jumping to any conclusions.

He's still very green.

But Fagan's always been a fan of the 2 rucks.

Always Joe, no brainer.

Hogan had that baggage when he moved to GWS - credit to him he has since put his career back together.

On the other hand, other than his brainfades on the field - there's rarely a peep about Joe off field. Hates media attention, avoids them like a plague, loves the club and Fagan, great acquisition.

Always Joe, no brainer.

Hogan had that baggage when he moved to GWS - credit to him he has since put his career back together.

On the other hand, other than his brainfades on the field - there's rarely a peep about Joe off field. Hates media attention, avoids them like a plague, loves the club and Fagan, great acquisition.
Hogan's a mark and kick forward.

Joe has a few more strings to his bow and bobs up all over the field.

Joe every day of the week. His genuine fun moments on field always make me smile and diffuse my stress head moments. Figure they do the same for the boys on field as well, and keeping it relaxed and fun is an underrated necessary skill for winning teams.

Going to be a battle between Brain and Prior and then Smith and Morris for the final two spots in the 22 in my opinion.

Bruce I think is the perfect sub for us. Incredibly versatile with a good kick and strong hands. Can slot in around the field and we can be confident he will impact from first possession.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back