Round 13 changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be good if Starcevich had a run in the VFL but that is unlikely.
Bailey came straight back in so likely the same with Starcevich.
Hippy for Ryan is a certain change.
Starch most likely for Reville, with Reville the sub.

Fagan could change the role and positions of a few best 22 players but i won't hold my breath until we can't make the 8
Wilmot to wing with possible midfield time.
Fletcher with some midfield/forward time.
Lohmann with some midfield & wing time.
Just some small changes to best 22 players that may suggest they are better in a different role.

Fagan most likely keeps the faith in what has worked over the years (but we don't have Ashcroft, Coleman, McCarthy, Gardiner & then there is Doedee).
So, a bit hard to do the usual without these players. That's possibly why things are just not clicking in the group.

Fagan is in a hard place with making the 8 still possible after being grand finalist, but only an outside chance realistically.
Thats why i favor some player role/positional changes over the next month rather than getting games into Brain etc.
Brain, Sharp, Reville and maybe one of the new guys can fill the sub position in this time.
Reassess in a months' time about our top 8 chances.
Next games: Dogs (A), Saints (H), Power (A), Demons (H), Crows (H).

Living in Melbourne I dont mind it. Been to so many games there and generally its a great view from anywhere in the ground. Facilities are great and its so easy to get to.

But atmosphere can be so incredibly mixed. Sometimes its great sometimes its terrible. When we've had good wins there the Lions chants can be so loud and overwhelming the opposition crowd. But again its a very different vibe to being the home team at the Gabba

Living in Melbourne I dont mind it. Been to so many games there and generally its a great view from anywhere in the ground. Facilities are great and its so easy to get to.

But atmosphere can be so incredibly mixed. Sometimes its great sometimes its terrible. When we've had good wins there the Lions chants can be so loud and overwhelming the opposition crowd. But again its a very different vibe to being the home team at the Gabba
I think it's the roof that sucks out the atmosphere - when the crowd is quiet, it's dead quiet. Maybe there's not really any ambient noise that gets in, birds etc. Sunday was a beautiful sunny & warm autumn day, but they still have the roof closed so your sitting in a cold concrete chamber (I understand they don't open the roof anymore for TV because of the light/day shadows on the ground). Only time I'd concede it's a better experience than an open-air stadium is when it's p*ssing down outside.
I will concede the view from pretty good from anywhere, but I have a really hard time with the lighting when sitting on the wing in the 2nd, but particularly 3rd tier.

Bulldogs game last year about the worst sporting experience I can remember. Hawthorn last week not too far behind. Admittedly both were losses, but I've seen plenty of Brisbane and Fitzroy losses over the years. I'd prefer to see us lose at the MCG... Princes Park, Western Oval...

Darcy you’d think couldn’t play next week. The type who would kick 3-4 on us
Couldn't bear the thought of kicking goals against his future club he went and got himself suspended. What a legend.

Of the players given a shot due to injury/suspension the 2 players likely to keep their spots once Starcevich/Ashcroft/Hipwood come back in are Kai Lohmann definitely and maybe Logan Morris.

Ryan, Reville, Sharp, Brain unlikely to get an extended run if at all if we have a clean bill of health over the rest of the season, possible sub roles for the latter 3.

You'd think Logan will have to be managed through the season at some stage later in the year.

You'd think Logan will have to be managed through the season at some stage later in the year.
He could be managed or dropped.
He has shown great potential as a third tall at AFL level.
Being an inexperienced low possession KPF he is always a chance for his form to drop off.
I don't think going back to VFL for a few games will halt his development.

I'm listening to the latest Dunkley/Treloar Podcast and Josh was saying in their review of the Hawks game that the loss was a reality check and we didn't bring our A game.... I'm stunned by that, sounded a bit like we were getting ahead of ourselves and were cocky:rolleyes:.

Also mentioned that we let the Hawks break too many tackles.

I'm listening to the latest Dunkley/Treloar Podcast and Josh was saying in their review of the Hawks game that the loss was a reality check and we didn't bring our A game.... I'm stunned by that, sounded a bit like we were getting ahead of ourselves and were cocky:rolleyes:.

Also mentioned that we let the Hawks break too many tackles.
In the position we have found ourselves in, it is amazing that we could go into a game against any team without anything but a full throttle mentality.

In the position we have found ourselves in, it is amazing that we could go into a game against any team without anything but a full throttle mentality.
Exactly. This had all the prerequisites for a defeat.

Playing Hawthorn, at Marvel, before the bye. All things the Lions have struggled with in the past and if you walk into a game thinking it's going to be easy, you're in for a shock.

There’s been a few comments made during the year, even back in preseason, coming off the back of the GF appearance that raised a few eyebrows in terms of the groups mentality, ie thinking they were better then they were, which is surprising for a group who hasn’t really achieved anything at the end of the day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How the actual flip can this group get ahead of themselves?
Can't help but think it's happened repeatedly at times.

It's a fine line between positivity and bathwater drinking.
Yes, it's looking more and more like we went into this season just expecting it to happen again, and it's still bubbling under the surface somewhere, in hindsight the worst possible start to the season was going 46 points up against the Blues in the first game, just reinforced the Gee we are so good mindset.

At this stage it probably wont be able to be fully addressed until the season is mathematically over for us.

Reset and an attitude adjustment over the off season and I have no doubt we are right in the mix for top 2/4 again in 2025.

How the actual flip can this group get ahead of themselves?
Sadly we’ve demonstrated this for years and it’s always surprised me that Fagan and Co have never been able to address it. Has to be something severely wrong with the group because arrogance (not the good one) has long been prevalent with this group.

Darcy and West for the Dogs both copping suspensions and will miss next week.
14a5b52c-8103-4dd8-b3f3-7b5e5befa63b_text.gif

I don't mind Marvel at all, was there on the weekend and the food outlets and hospitality are light years ahead of the Gabba(then I suppose everywhere is) since they have done the refurbishments it has a really modern feel to it out the back around the concourse, ease of entry and exit was also seamless.

We were mid tier wing for the Lions game so the viewing was fantastic, we were 2nd row from the very top for the Suns game and that was fine as well.

We stayed in accommodation no more than 200 meters from the stadium gates, trams and trains a 5 minute walk so great location near the city.
It's called Docklands the place to be

Sadly we’ve demonstrated this for years and it’s always surprised me that Fagan and Co have never been able to address it. Has to be something severely wrong with the group because arrogance (not the good one) has long been prevalent with this group.
I reckon its happened 2 to 3 times a year for the last several years. Usually away in Melbourne against a low team or before the bye and the attitude just clearly sucks from the get go. They clearly all seem to rick up with their minds already on the break and think they can walk over teams. Its such a pattern that every other clubs is probably aware of it and makes it easy for them to target these games against us. They know they can fire up and steal a win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back