Unofficial Preview Changes vs Giants - round 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gws have a few talls.

From last week’s team: taylor, buckley and idun key backs.

Hogan and cadman key forwards.

Then two more on the bench, gruzewsmi and himmelberg.

I suspect we’ll be keen to play Joyce if he is fit. If they go four talls could be harris to hogan, joyce to cadman, lester to himmelberg, brain to gruzewski.

Although how often the four talls are on at the same time might be low, gru and cadman still very raw

Agree, unfortunately seems to have 'won' that spot from Ah Chee.

Ah chee is so undervalued. Always reliable, and pops up at critical moments to swing momentum our way.

I have him as a lock every week.

In the mix, R22: Who's under the pump, pushing for selection?​

brisbane.jpg

Providing Eric Hipwood overcomes a sore groin that kept him out of Sunday's win over St Kilda, the rangy forward will return for Saturday's huge match against Greater Western Sydney at the Gabba. He'd likely return straight to the forward line in place of Henry Smith. Darragh Joyce (jaw) will also be tested, with a positive outcome putting him in the frame to rejoin Harris Andrews and Ryan Lester in defence. Bruce Reville did well in the sub role against the Saints and would be an option to come into the 22. Deven Robertson was prolific in the VFL at the weekend, with Jarryd Lyons and Harry Sharp doing well, although at this stage of the season, it's unlikely Chris Fagan would make unforced changes. – Michael Whiting

Last week's sub: Bruce Reville (replaced Charlie Cameron)
gws-giants.jpg

The Giants' push towards finals will be bolstered by the return of Josh Kelly (calf) ahead of Saturday's clash against the in-form Lions, while Stephen Coniglio (shoulder) may also play should he pass a fitness test later this week. Jake Riccardi (finger) will miss the rest of the season, so Max Gruzewski should get an extended run in the side. However, Wade Derksen (18 disposals, two goals) and Nick Haynes (39 disposals, 12 marks) were among the best at VFL level and will be on standby as key-position options to come into the team. Young duo James Leake (35 disposals, eight clearances) and Conor Stone (25 disposals, seven marks) continue to impress at VFL level. – Riley Beveridge

Last week's sub: Joe Fonti (replaced Max Gruzewski)

Ah chee is so undervalued. Always reliable, and pops up at critical moments to swing momentum our way.

I have him as a lock every week.

This might be controversial, but I think he has "skated on thin ice" at times over the past two years.
He seemed to float in and out of games quite a lot, and for mine, wasn't great at all once the ball hit the ground (was incredibly fumbly, or would just lose the contest flat out). Was always good for his size in the air though.

Not sure I'd go "always reliable" (just yet), but he's improved as the season has gone on, for sure.

Just my 2c.

This might be controversial, but I think he has "skated on thin ice" at times over the past two years.
He seemed to float in and out of games quite a lot, and for mine, wasn't great at all once the ball hit the ground (was incredibly fumbly, or would just lose the contest flat out). Was always good for his size in the air though.

Not sure I'd go "always reliable" (just yet), but he's improved as the season has gone on, for sure.

Just my 2c.
A lot of that is because of his role, and how it constantly changes.

When he's floating up and back as a combo wing/HFF, you see him a lot.

When he's stuck in the forward line as a fifth forward option, you barely see him.

GWS tall backs are brilliant at intercept marking.
I imagine GWS is hoping that Smith doesn't play, fearing that he brings the ball to ground for the most dangerous small forward line in the comp.
I believe he has to play this week and we go with a 3 tall forward line.
In Hipwood Joyce
Out Prior or Brain (both unlucky ), and Reville

GWS tall backs are brilliant at intercept marking.
I imagine GWS is hoping that Smith doesn't play, fearing that he brings the ball to ground for the most dangerous small forward line in the comp.
I believe he has to play this week and we go with a 3 tall forward line.
In Hipwood Joyce
Out Prior or Brain (both unlucky ), and Reville

You don't count Morris as a tall?

We also have Rayner who's been providing a strong contest

I think I’m erring with Eric, but that’s probably because I’m shitting myself about picking up any extra injuries. I also think we’ve been caught out on a couple of guys coming back underdone this year (McKenna/Payne) and that didn’t work out for us. If in any doubt whatsoever give him an extra week. We’ll need him next month.

Joyce will be a handy in though if he gets up, which I’m not sure many of us would’ve said earlier in the year.
Yep I reckon your right about the two you mentioned being underdone and rushing them back and or playing them injured (along with some others eg Bailey). If there is any doubt about Eric then lets be cautious. Also the VFL finals commence the week of the AFL bye, so if Payne not ready for Bombers then hopefully he is eligible to play VFL game before the AFL finals.

I suspect we’ll be keen to play Joyce if he is fit. If they go four talls could be harris to hogan, joyce to cadman, lester to himmelberg, brain to gruzewski.

I reckon we could see Joyce get first crack at Hogan leaving Harris on Cadman so he can play his usual intercepting role and reading the play.

If we can manage a win against GWS this weekend and Freo (at home) can get the win against Geelong it means that we only need to win 1 of our remaining 2 to be guaranteed top 4.
As long as we don’t lose by much and Freo don’t win by too much.

I reckon we could see Joyce get first crack at Hogan leaving Harris on Cadman so he can play his usual intercepting role and reading the play.
Could well be the case. One thing Hogan does really well is judge the flight of the ball. Perhaps not a strength of Joyce…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't count Morris as a tall?

We also have Rayner who's been providing a strong contest
At this stage of his career I'd consider Morris hybrid rather than key.
He and Rayner both hybrids which makes our forward line so potent.
Buckley Himmelberg Taylor all around the 195cm mark. Big boys.

Last edited:
If we can manage a win against GWS this weekend and Freo (at home) can get the win against Geelong it means that we only need to win 1 of our remaining 2 to be guaranteed top 4.
As long as we don’t lose by much and Freo don’t win by too much.
I can not see the Dockers having any percentage boosting games... to come > Cats, Giants, Port.

A lot of that is because of his role, and how it constantly changes.

When he's floating up and back as a combo wing/HFF, you see him a lot.

When he's stuck in the forward line as a fifth forward option, you barely see him.
What was Lethal's famous line? "Understand your role, accept your role, play your role."

And just as people put too much emphasis on errors, people also put too much emphasis on the stats sheet.

Last edited:
But you think we need Daniher, Hipwood, Smith, Morris and Rayner to be strong enough in the air against GWS this week?

GWS may be one team where we can play many talls and getaway with it. GWS are playing quite tall as well. Taylor, Buckley, Idun, Himmelberg in defense. Forward line has Hogan and Cadman, Briggs for ruck. We will stack up as Daniher, Hipwood, Smith, Morris in forward line. Andrews and Joyce (hopefully for Prior) in defense. Big O in ruck.

If we play 4 talls, Rayner will get either Perryman, Ash or Whitfield rather than someone like Idun. There is some advantage in playing them all if it creates a bit of mismatch for GWS.

If we play Smith alongside Daniher and Hipwood, then the call might come down to having either Morris or Ah Chee as sub.

Pretty much a sellout.
Who would have thought a 1.45pm Saturday game v Giants who don't have a big following would sell out.
Final numbers always depend on who actually turns up especially in the BCC members arears.
Also sponsors usually struggle a bit filling seats other than when playing the big Melbourne clubs.

Pretty much a sellout.
Who would have thought a 1.45pm Saturday game v Giants who don't have a big following would sell out.
Final numbers always depend on who actually turns up especially in the BCC members arears.
Also sponsors usually struggle a bit filling seats other than when playing the big Melbourne clubs.
Will be extremely one-sided. If we manage one of our good starts it will be a cauldron.

Giants tend to go well away tbf. Pies prelim a great example!

Good chance for Harris (The best key defender) to take down Hogan (The best key Forward) this weekend.

Not sure we want Harris on Hogan.
Be nice if Joyce is available.
If not, we will have to play who is available which was Prior last week. I doubt Prior goes to Hogan though.

Not sure we want Harris on Hogan.
Be nice if Joyce is available.
If not, we will have to play who is available which was Prior last week. I doubt Prior goes to Hogan though.

It came up in "on the couch" how Hogan did not get the best defender for the last 4-5 rounds. Garry Lyon was like why don't these clubs respect what Hogan can do and put the best defender on him rightaway.

Browny tells Lyon that Fagan does watch the show and Garry turns to camera and goes "Fages, here's a great idea for you, put Harris on him early" :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back