Preview Changes VS Hawks - Elimination Final @ MCG Friday 6th Sep 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Little bit off topic, but does anyone know which end the cheer squad/bulk of our supporters will be at? From memory our last home final at the MCG it was the Ponsford end? Would prefer to sit with our own rather than hawks casuals that will be watching their first game since 2015

Little bit off topic, but does anyone know which end the cheer squad/bulk of our supporters will be at? From memory our last home final at the MCG it was the Ponsford end? Would prefer to sit with our own rather than hawks casuals that will be watching their first game since 2015

Very sure cheer squads will sit nearest their suburb. Punt for Hawthorn Ponsford for Footscray.

The most disgraceful thing to ever happen in the history of suspensions.Was unprecedented and has never happened again.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The reason it never happened again is because the AFL changed the rules so that it can’t. That’s an admission it was wrong if ever there was one.

Not sure about our head to head in finals with this mob. I have a feeling it might be close?

Could be. We don’t really do close though, only had two games finish with the margin less than two goals. Against Geelong in Gather Round and then against Hawthorn in R9.

Some were saying Cadman's head was "slammed into the turf with force"

😅
Yeah that was always full of shit. David King was the one commentator who called it correctly and he was at the ground. Kingy said he wasn’t even sure if his head hit the ground or if it did then it was glancing rather than slamming. He said correctly that on one of the video angles it showed his shoulder hitting the ground and his head barely touching, then as others said, he jumped straight up, didn’t even touch his head with his hand or shake it off or anything. Just lined up and kicked the goal and celebrated. Not called off for a HIA, how could the AFL possibly win a case that it was anything other than low impact.

They would have lost the case if the Dogs challenged and I think they knew it. The media just want the drama and they are a pack of sheep that follow each other. Kingy was the only one ready to take an alternative view and say nah it was not reportable and he is also generally leading the charge for protecting the head at all costs.

I always had this view after I saw the replay. At first look it looked bad in real time but this was one occasion where the slow motion replay and various angles actually helped to get him off.

Just heard from fellow dogs fans that Treloar's calf is having scans. True or Bullshit? I feel like the media would have jumped onto this story more if it's was.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not expecting many changes if there is no injuries. West has to come back in, he is too good of a player and has had too good of a season to leave out. Arty Jones probably out for him, he did some good things against GWS. I was happy enough with his game.

Think our defense is settled now. Lobb and Jones as the key backs, the three half backs (Dale, Duryea, Bramble) have had really good seasons. Was just about finding the right players to compliment them. Freijah has had a fantastic first season and it’s hard to see why he wouldn’t be a lock for the next decade. O’Donnell has been impressive since coming back in (hadn’t had the best season but did have some interruptions) and think he is the most rounded and most trustworthy of the options.

The forward line is probably staying the same now. Naughton, Ugle-Hagan, Darcy, Weightman and West should pick themselves. Haven’t always been the biggest McNeil fan but his impact has been noticeable over the later part of the season and think he should keep his spot for the rest of the season, just wish he would be a bit cleaner. Would make him an infinitely better player. Not convinced Vandermeer is the best option but has played every game this season and can’t see him missing now. Plays like he did against North and he is a handy guy to have but those performances have been few and far between.

Will be interesting how we pick the end of the bench for the midfield. Like Gallagher as a prospect, think he’ll make that HF/rotating mid spot his own next season. Ball use was deplorable this season but he’ll improve that with experience, has great acceleration and excellent goal sense. He was great against GWS and I think that will probably keep his spot in the 22. I just really want Macrae to play a full game, he’s just a guy I trust and is a proven big game player. I feel like he’ll be the one dropped to sub though.

English vs Meek is a battle that will go someway to determining the result.
Tim just needs to break even, give a strong contest and then beat him around the ground. If he can break even or not get absolutely slaughtered in the ruck contest then our mids can get on top and try and win the clearance battle. If we lose the clearances it will be much harder but our defence has improved immeasurably since we last played them also so I back our defenders to turn it over as well, best in the comp at that part of the game since the Rock Lobster has gone back!

Jones gets off, Owies gets a week.

Riots are coming
If you watch the video though it’s clear the difference, Higgins head clearly slammed into the ground as he face planted, then was clearly dazed and stayed down afterwards for a bit, whereas Cadman on the replay showed his head didn’t hit that hard because his shoulder luckily took most of the impact and he was totally unfazed by it. One looked a lot worse than it was and luckily that was Jones tackle

Just heard from fellow dogs fans that Treloar's calf is having scans. True or Bullshit? I feel like the media would have jumped onto this story more if it's was.

Probably true. Was getting some heavy work on his legs in the first quarter and didn’t look to be moving the same throughout the day.

Considering he ran out the game I’d be surprised if it was something bad but like a few others the week off would probably do him some good

He had soreness in his calf post game, I think that was mentioned somewhere.

Scans don't really mean anything. Well they don't always mean something serious. More likely it is just precautionary, so the clubs medical team know why it is sore, any future risks, proper management strategy etc.

Like others have said Meek/English will be a fascinating battle. Tim doesn’t need to win hit outs, our game style the last 3 months doesn’t rely on it. But if our mids aren’t winning the strip and subsequent clearance I’d back Bevo to switch things up and get Lobb in there like we did against the Cats last year.

Not sure about our head to head in finals with this mob. I have a feeling it might be close?
Unfortunately not really, they're up 4-1 (pretty sure).

They won their first flag in 1961, beating us in the GF.

In 85 finals they beat us twice and thrashed us in a final in the Eade years.

2016 was sweet, but we definitely still owe them.

I think both supporter bases are too confident here.
I think it will come down who can move it quicker through the midfielder and get more 1 on 1s fwd.
Your talls up fwd
Vs
Our smalls up fwd
The team that can apply the most pressure for the longest will win. Our game plan has changed radically since we last played Hawthorn, so it's hard to say what will happen.

I'm quietly confident - not supremely confident.

Newcombe always kills at but having a look at previous games, Libba hasn't played against them the last three times.

Think he will do a job on him, not tagging but making sure he doesn't dominate.
Agree that Newcombe is the danger, also Will Day if he plays. He has killed us also the last couple of times we have played them. Meek also a worry if English is not mentally and physically prepared for that matchup, then Dylan Moore and their small forwards will be a difficult matchup, we should not underestimate them at all, they are also playing much better than when we played them last time.

I personally have the Hawks and Dogs in my top 4 form teams, along with Port and Brisbane despite their results (if they were just average on goal accuracy they win against GWS and Collingwood and are second on the ladder).

So it will be a difficult game with each team having different strengths. I do think the Dogs have the better midfield and key position players, Hawks have more pace and zip and can win if we let them get on top in the middle.

I think it will be a close game with the Dogs winning but only if we can be accurate, if we kick like shit for goal then we will regret it and may lose the game on this.

C’mon Jamarra, straighten that set shot up and make this your game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes VS Hawks - Elimination Final @ MCG Friday 6th Sep 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back