Preview Changes VS Hawks - Elimination Final @ MCG Friday 6th Sep 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we convinced Macrae is a nailed on starter for this game?

Macrae was the replacement for West when he got injured in the North game who is likely to come back in to the team.

I think Bevo will be concerned about his defensive running and pressure application against a Hawks side that will rip you apart if that side of your game is not up to standard.

Yeeeaaaahhhh made the mistake of having a peek on their board. Seems to be more time spent patting themselves on the back and discussing how awesome they are than actually discussing the upcoming game. Are we too broken as supporters for such carry on and chest beating? Or are they just a bunch of simple fairweather campaigners?

Only go there if you want to have a good laugh.

Are we convinced Macrae is a nailed on starter for this game?

Macrae was the replacement for West when he got injured in the North game who is likely to come back in to the team.

I think Bevo will be concerned about his defensive running and pressure application against a Hawks side that will rip you apart if that side of your game is not up to standard.

Yeah, could easily see Macrae returning to the sub role.

Who gives a **** what Hawks supporters on Bigfooty, or the media, are saying about their chances of winning or about how good we are in the wet etc. It makes zero difference to what is actually going to eventuate.
Couldn’t agree more. Imagine going to an opposition board and they are positive about their teams chances. Shock horror. Gonna be a cracking game of footy. We should be confident and I think with a bit more experience and form against good teams over the last 8 weeks we win

They were one of the most helpful and supportive groups on bigfooty during our 2016 finals run imho.
Gordon said a few in the Hawks admin team went out of their way to help us during Grand Final week.

Having not been in one since '61, there would undoubtedly have been a few at our club with a sense of "ummm... wtf happens now?" after the Prelim win.

In an administration without much Grand Final experience, I'm sure some of their tips and intel would have proven quite valuable, and at least reduced anxiety around potentially not ticking all the boxes that needed to be ticked.

Despite that help, for this week at least: **** 'em :D

Harmes has been told he’s in. Coming from a very good source.Treloar less than 50/50 to play
Good news on Harmes, no good on Adzy. Still going to hold out on hope there.

I think Harmes is a slight in-game injury risk tbh, I don't think we could carry him and VDM which solidifies my thoughts I'd want Arty and McNeil as the two pressure forwards.

Backs: Jones, JOD, Lobb, Bramble, Dale, Duryea, Freijah
Mids: English, Bont, Treloar, Libba, Richards, Williams, Macrae, Harmes
Fowards: Naughton, Weightman, JUH, Darcy, West, McNeil, Arty Jones
Sub: Daniel

In: West, Harmes
Out: VDM, Gallagher

Gallagher comes in if Treloar can't get up.

Last edited:
Good news on Harmes, no good on Adzy. Still going to hold out on hope there.

I think Harmes is a slight of an in-game injury risk tbh, I don't think we could carry him and VDM which solidifies my thoughts I'd want Arty and McNeil as the two pressure forwards.

Backs: Jones, JOD, Lobb, Bramble, Dale, Duryea, Freijah
Mids: English, Bont, Treloar, Libba, Richards, Williams, Macrae, Harmes
Fowards: Naughton, Weightman, JUH, Darcy, West, McNeil, Arty Jones
Sub: Daniel

In: West, Harmes
Out: VDM, Gallagher

Gallagher comes in if Treloar can't get up.
Yeah strange.

Treloar is pretty confident he will be playing

Yeah, unless something has shifted in the past few days, I don't now how Treloar (who knows his body better than anyone) can go from a certain starter to suddenly less than 50%.

Reading between the lines, he didn't participate fully in training this morning. That doesn't make him less than 50/50 as per what he mentioned on his Podcast last week (he will only do one training session, being the main one on Wednesday).

I understand how a casual observer would misread that as being less than 50/50.

Yeah, unless something has shifted in the past few days, I don't now how Treloar (who knows his body better than anyone) can go from a certain starter to suddenly less than 50%.

Reading between the lines, he didn't participate fully in training this morning. That doesn't make him less than 50/50 as per what he mentioned on his Podcast last week (he will only do one training session, being the main one on Wednesday).

I understand how a casual observer would misread that as being less than 50/50.
I think it's too early to judge which way Treloar will go, will be given right up to the day to prove his fitness but isn't one that a risk will be taken on.

Never underestimate the value of experience. In everything. Especially finals.

We have it. They, by and large (aside from a handful) don't. Makes a big difference. Not saying it'll be the difference but it helps.

Couldn't give a rats tossbag about our talls and the wet, their form beating up on utterly dogs*** teams the past few weeks or any of that.

We have the experience, we have the tools, we have the best player in the comp for crying out loud, we have Libba, we have Darcy, we have Cody, so let's get it done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’re playing funny buggers with Treloar like Hawks are doing with Day. We’ve categorically ruled in Treloar and the Hawks have ruled out Day. Interesting what will actually happen.

Will Day won't play though. They released an official statement on their website with his injury update, that's a bit different than a coach or player being asked and saying "yeah I'll be right".

I like some stuff that Artie does and it's good that he's found ways to play up the ground but he just doesn't impact games enough and not a lot has changed.

He was dropped after a starting game with 0 disposals last year and then came back for one more starting game ... and had 3 disposals.

8 disposals in 67% time on ground still isn't great vs. GWS.

I know VFL games with winds and open stadiums and less overall disposals means that disposal numbers tend to be a bit lower, but this is his "better form" in the VFL in the last couple of months:

8, 10, 9, 13, 10, 9 10, 11, 12.

All of which would be fine if he was an impact goalkicker, but he's not, kicking 21 goals only in the VFL this year.

Bit surprised so many are calling for his inclusion. I'm glad he played well coming on as a sub and it was arguably fortuitous that he was able to work himself into the game and replace a like-for-like player rather than being an awkward fit ... but he was the sub in the first place replacing one injured player before replacing another, both of who should be fit for this game, and it's not as if his 8 disposals at AFL level significantly changed my view of the body of work at AFL and VFL level over the last couple of years.

I'm getting way ahead of myself but if we win Friday when would our next game likely be?

My partner is pregnant & trying to schedule scans around potential games so I can have my cake & eat it too 😂
Following Friday, assuming that the two teams that played Saturday this week would then play their semi-final the following Saturday.

Lol SEN are doing Hawks radio...

Giving me vibes of how I felt about us in 06, 08-10. The giddy overconfidence.

'We're the best. Yeah, we beat Geelong and the best teams during the season and we'll do it again. No fear...'

If there's one thing I've learned about following a team in finals it's never get overconfident.

I like some stuff that Artie does and it's good that he's found ways to play up the ground but he just doesn't impact games enough and not a lot has changed.

He was dropped after a starting game with 0 disposals last year and then came back for one more starting game ... and had 3 disposals.

8 disposals in 67% time on ground still isn't great vs. GWS.

I know VFL games with winds and open stadiums and less overall disposals means that disposal numbers tend to be a bit lower, but this is his "better form" in the VFL in the last couple of months:

8, 10, 9, 13, 10, 9 10, 11, 12.

All of which would be fine if he was an impact goalkicker, but he's not, kicking 21 goals only in the VFL this year.

Bit surprised so many are calling for his inclusion. I'm glad he played well coming on as a sub and it was arguably fortuitous that he was able to work himself into the game and replace a like-for-like player rather than being an awkward fit ... but he was the sub in the first place replacing one injured player before replacing another, both of who should be fit for this game, and it's not as if his 8 disposals at AFL level significantly changed my view of the body of work at AFL and VFL level over the last couple of years.
I think you being a little harsh on Arty. Firstly he has shown great resilience this year and I have never been more confident in him becoming a good afl player.
The vfl style of game is a very high stoppage game and a lot more scrappy. Play a small fwd role isn’t easy especially in an afl aligned team. 21 goals is a good output in 19 games. To average just over a goal a game is a decent out out. While also being one of the VFL teams best two way runners. Arty’s defensive running especially in the last 8-10 games has really improved. While I think west and VDM play ahead of him at the moment any injury or setback I think arty is next up.
Harmes in for gags is a no brainer for me also.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes VS Hawks - Elimination Final @ MCG Friday 6th Sep 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back