Preview Changes VS Hawks - Elimination Final @ MCG Friday 6th Sep 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I do wonder how we will go against their quick small forwards, we have always been notoriously bad against them, with the likes of Eddie Betts,Close and Cameron killing us in the past. I hope Bevo and co have done their home work.

I think too, it’s always an advantage if you lose the first time, because you can then look at the reason why and counteract, you can’t do that when you are winners.

The way to shut down their small forward will be to limit their supply. If we can slow down their ball movement in the midfield and force low quality inside 50 entries, our talls will control the air and intercept mark. If we allow easy ball movement and transition across the ground then their smalls will run into space and kill us. That's the game imo.

I think rain plays directly into our hands.

Our zone defence across the park and hawthorns quick ball movement from defensive 50 imo is our greatest concern. Rain really would limit clean ball movement and turns the contest into a territory battle which id back us to win 9/10.

Meanwhile in dry conditions if hawthorn match us in the middle and negate our tall forwards then they are probably a 8/10 shot at winning.

Although if we dominate the midfield and our talls dominate then we obviously win.

So many different ways this can play out. But I see us having more paths to victory than hawthorn do.

The way to shut down their small forward will be to limit their supply. If we can slow down their ball movement in the midfield and force low quality inside 50 entries, our talls will control the air and intercept mark. If we allow easy ball movement and transition across the ground then their smalls will run into space and kill us. That's the game imo.

Yep, deny them the ball. Deny, deny, deny. Control the midfield and just belting it down forward and keep battering their defence with repeat entries. Pressure, pressure, pressure, keep it down there and then convert it on the scoreboard.

For the dogs and hawks, technically the finals completes 100 years in the VFL/AFL with both joining in 1925. Lets celebrate with a win. I hope the dogs have got celebration plans for next season where we should officially celebrate 100 years in the competition. My late father was a member from 1925 to 2002 and I joined in 1961 so that will be 100 years of continuous membership and we both members from 1961 to 2002.

Go Dogs.

For the dogs and hawks, technically the finals completes 100 years in the VFL/AFL with both joining in 1925. Lets celebrate with a win. I hope the dogs have got celebration plans for next season where we should officially celebrate 100 years in the competition. My late father was a member from 1925 to 2002 and I joined in 1961 so that will be 100 years of continuous membership and we both members from 1961 to 2002.

Go Dogs.
Legend!!!! 🤘🤘

Treloar & VDM both listed as tests on the official injury report but it seems as though both will be fit to take the field.

No other injury concerns of note.

We dominated them at the stoppages last game. We just turned it over loads, and allowed them like 50 points from intercepts. Whilst I think the stoppages will be closer this time around. We simply just need to be cleaner with the ball around the ground and not dump it long to Sicily like our old game styles. Need to create isolated match ups and hit people on the leads. None of this long floating high balls to 3 vs 2s in the square, where their loose man will feast.

Midfield will need to man up and slow their movement through the middle down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do wonder how we will go against their quick small forwards, we have always been notoriously bad against them, with the likes of Eddie Betts,Close and Cameron killing us in the past. I hope Bevo and co have done their home work.

I think too, it’s always an advantage if you lose the first time, because you can then look at the reason why and counteract, you can’t do that when you are winners.
Daniel is a great match-up for Watson
Dureya/Dale/Bramble on Ginnevin/Moore/Breust

I think we can at least break even there

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

We are the #1 ranked team at conceding the least amount of goals to small forwards this year.

Just wondering, did anyone else notice that Bevo played McNeil in the backline during the second half of our R24 game against GWS? I was a little surprised at the time and I wonder was he testing something he may use this week or was it out of necessity? Because I don’t think I have ever seen McNeil play in defence previously, but with Hawthorns glut of small forwards I wonder whether he was testing it to see how he went down there. Just in case we need extra pace in the backline.

I mean I doubt it happens but it was a little odd to see it and there must be a reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes VS Hawks - Elimination Final @ MCG Friday 6th Sep 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back