Preview Changes VS Hawks - Elimination Final @ MCG Friday 6th Sep 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s the same player as Josh Ward on their list in my mind. So I’d assume ward just comes in and replaces him with a similar output.
McKenzie is a pretty good player. Pick 7 in 2022 and has plenty of upside long term.

I agree he’s not a huge loss. They have a few players that could step right in and replicate his production.

Yeah, not that it means much these days, but I'm fairly certain Cam Mac usually starts on the bench. While usually I wouldn't read much into players starting on the bench, the fact it happens often seems to suggest to me that he isn't considered to be a member of their most prolific starting midfield.

I.e. The game won't be won or lost due to his absence or availability.

Cam Mackenzie ruled out for the Hawks.

Yes, I had to google his name too.
He's quality. Went top 10 after the Saints complained about Marra as an NGA and they lost access to him. Duh Saints

Yeah, not that it means much these days, but I'm fairly certain Cam Mac usually starts on the bench. While usually I wouldn't read much into players starting on the bench, the fact it happens often seems to suggest to me that he isn't considered to be a member of their most prolific starting midfield.

I.e. The game won't be won or lost due to his absence or availability.
He attended a lot of centre bounces, especially in Day’s absence. 7 clearances in the final round.

The Hawks are a little light on the guts. I imagine they’ll run a lot of players through to mix it up.

Newcombe, Worpel, MacDonald, Moore, Nash & Ward. Maybe Finn as a tagged too.

They're also missing Day. It's starting to get serious for the Hawks.
Don't forget Mitch Lewis is out long term too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They'll just replace McKenzie with Ward and not lose anything
TBH I don't trade Ward anywhere near what Hawk fans do.
Riley Sanders from wish.com

A lot of disrespect here lads. Mackenzie is a very good young player and would be comfortably in our best 22, imo.
I wouldn’t say comfortably. We have our own highly rated top 10 pick midfielder missing from our best 23.

Probably gets a game over Gallagher though.

I think the Hawks might have trouble containing our midfield this time around. No Day hurts them and we have added Richards to our midfield since last we met. If we win supply I think we win through weight of possession and opportunity. Will be a big challenge for the hawks to defend our forward line if they're feasting on regular supply.

Not just that, but it's not a long way to run at the G to have a shot if you can get out the front of a centre clearance. Richards, Bont and Treloar could all cause issues for the Hawks there and if they have some early success it could scramble their defence and free up the talls a bit more. You can't tag them all.

This game will undoubtedly be decided in the midfield. As much as we'd be likely with a dominant midfield, the hawks mosquito fleet could inflict similar damage if the dominance is reversed.

Mackenzie is solid and was their Day replacement, so they’re going to have to improvise. Suspect we’ll see a fair bit of Moore in there as the fourth mid, particularly if Libba does a bit of a defensive job on Newcombe. They won’t want a couple of suspect kicks like Worpel and Nash as their prime movers from stoppage.

Intersted to see who Sicily goes to. If I were them I’d put him on McNeil and have Sicily basically ignore him to peel off as third man up. But he’s probably their best 1v1 defender along with/after Frost. I suspect that they might start with Frost, Sicily and Scrimshaw on Jamarra, Naughton and Darcy with Weddle playing higher up off of one of the smalls. Will be interesting if we play Jamarra deepest per usual because it’ll mean Sicily and Scrimshaw on the much bigger Naughton and Darcy.

I’d like to see West or Harmes in because either could do a negating job on Sicily or Weddle, if needed.

Down back for us, the tall match ups seem sort of obvious, Jones to Chol, Lobb to Gunston and O’Donnell to Dear. Not sure if there’ll be any specific match ups on their smalls, with Duryea just taking whichever is playing deepest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes VS Hawks - Elimination Final @ MCG Friday 6th Sep 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back