Prediction Changes vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Norths might pump us this weekend...got this feeling.

It's funny how well a team can play when the pressure is off. I look at the 22 Norf have named and beyond the starting midfield it's meh ordinary, but I can't deny their current form is good.

But I think we'll get up. The Brisbane-Perth travel in consecutive weeks will probably catch up with them late in the game.

I feel like Schofield is playing for his spot this week. When Hurn is back, it is probably down to Nelson and Schofield.

I don't reckon Schofield will go out for the rest of the year.
When Hurn returns Watson will go out.
We need Schofield for his ability on power forwards and leave barrass and McGovern to do what they do best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Norths might pump us this weekend...got this feeling.
It is a recurring feeling you have.
It's not out of the question, they might win. But it's not like we're playing down in windy wherever-it-is?
5 games left, team is acutely aware of how crucial each win is.
Simmo said in the presser "Win this game and we focus on finals, we'll be throwing everything we have at North!"
Each game you hope to see the fully fledged-four quarter Eagles. We've seen them appear a few times this season, but mostly it's a patched-up, inconsistent effort that gets across the line and snatches the 4 points.
Maybe this is the game, at home, we get a glimpse of finals Eagles? - Friggin' hope so!
Interesting, Simmo saying how ladder position just doesn't represent how good a team is this season? Melbourne's a good example.
Missing Cripps already. Need Gaff to stand up and take the game on. Hope Franky does well.

The land of the giants strikes again.

This squad selection makes me very uneasy.

I got to see North play against the Lions up this way last week - if we put up the same junk against them as we did against the Demons then things will get ugly for us very quickly.

Goldstein will ragdoll Hickey and Allen in the ruck, much as Gawn had his way with them last week.

If Higgins is not tagged by Nelson he will win the match for them off his own boot.

Yeo needs to go head-to-head with Cunnington at the stoppages.

The way to beat Shaw's North is to move the ball on quickly and get behind their defensive zone, which is set deep compared to what we usually see in the competition now. Against such a zone, Fagan moved his half-forward line onto the ball, creating situations where they had superior numbers around stoppages to win clearances and start possession chains through the corridor culminating in advanced attacking entries from the halfbacks making overlapping runs forward.

What worries me is that the forward line of the named squad will not be able to operate effectively in a similar manner.

Compare for example the output of non-key forwards for the Lions against North last week to what the Eagles managed against Melbourne in Alice Springs:

R19-Image-01.jpg

The selection has a forward line that is yet to show that it is capable of playing four quarters of football.

If, as has happened in the previous two matches, the small forwards tire early and allow their opponents to roll onto the ball then it will be very difficult to win this match unless the team is able to build a considerable lead during the first half.

Fully half of the named 22 are currently averaging less than 12 disposals per game this season.

The fortunate upside for the team is by virtue of the fixture, North will be backing up a hard away game in Brisbane with an away game in Perth. They will be coming in fatigued - an early jump on them at the start and they could roll over rather easily. If the Kangaroos are allowed to get a hold of the game however it will become a slog; and the Eagles are on a six-day break from travelling as well.

I would be far more comfortable about this coming match if M.Allen was in for Waterman and Ainsworth were to replace one of Rioli/Ryan/Cameron/Petruccelle as the lack of stoppage rotations is hurting us at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Changes vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back