Not open for further replies.

lions27

Club Legend
May 13, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Walker, Paps, Lester, Green and Bestmode for the ins

Outs- Martin, Jansen, Keays, Robertson and Bell

If Green is not ready then Keays can keep his spot.

First time in 10 years I am seriously considering not bothering turning up to a home game.

Players that need to be dropped: Robertson, Merrett, Hanley, Bell, Taylor

How Bell wasn't dropped for this game was staggering, so on the back of yet another abysmal game where again he demonstrated that he isn't AFL standard, means syrely he gets dropped.

Merrett, the momentum killer should be dropped but won't and then the epic failure of playing both West and Martin must come to an end. Flip a coin, they're both as bad as the other.

Keays goes given his struggles to convert the simplest of goals from near on in front.

Therefore, out = Bell, Merrett, West / Martin, Keays, Hanley.

In = C. Beams, Paparone, Freeman, Mathieson, Evans.

Irrespective, we'll get pumped by another 10+ goals.

Wow. Easy parts taking people out. Hardest parts finding anyone that will improve our performance. So mine is.

Outs. Club doctor.
In. Stephen Dank.

Wow. Easy parts taking people out. Hardest parts finding anyone that will improve our performance. So mine is.

Outs. Club doctor.
In. Stephen Dank.

Dank aside, I agree. The main culprits continue to be a lack of running in our midfield and a lack of awareness when we have the ball. So we've got Evans and...??? Mathieson can't run out a full game as opposed to won't run. Paps might be an option.

I think it's time to bring in Smith. West is ok in the ruck but needs to go hide on a wing or something when we've got the ball because every time we try to use him through the middle it's a disaster and generally a turnover. Martin has basically disappeared after the head hit. Might as well gift games to someone we haven't seen fail in seniors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a rare bit of brutal honesty Leppitsch said there are blokes getting games who shouldn't be because we have no depth, a reserves side who is getting belted as badly as the seniors. So therefore many players should be dropped but probably won't be.

When will he start being honest about his own performances?

In a rare bit of brutal honesty Leppitsch said there are blokes getting games who shouldn't be because we have no depth, a reserves side who is getting belted as badly as the seniors. So therefore many players should be dropped but probably won't be.

Can't fault leppa on this. He's right.

I think it's time to bring in Smith. West is ok in the ruck but needs to go hide on a wing or something when we've got the ball because every time we try to use him through the middle it's a disaster and generally a turnover. Martin has basically disappeared after the head hit. Might as well gift games to someone we haven't seen fail in seniors.

Gotta check concussion I think... But why the hell not? He'll have a crack.

The axe was already swung a few weeks ago coming into the Melbourne game. Shocking game to watch but we did at least have a go. Seems to be a repeat again here, I think Paparone had a good game in the reserves and Mathieson too, so they might be the only options to come in.

IN = Paparone - perhaps to play on a wing; Mathieson - forward pocket; Green - mid / forward; Walker - forward / ruck

OUT = Keays (tries hard, but not getting enough of it and his kicking is shocking); West (can't have both him and Martin playing and I think giving Martin the main role again might help him out of his form slump); Jansen (a little unlucky); Nick Robertson (unfortunately Nick has been woeful the last couple of weeks - his confidence looks shot and he is therefore making a large number of very bad errors second guessing every situation).

VERY LUCKY:
  • Bell - I doubt he would get a game at the moment in any other side except us and Essendon. He looks too heavy / can't run and barely gets into the game. Only keeps his spot because of his experience, bigger body and occasional ability to kick goals. And of course our complete lack of depth.
  • Merrett - it seems almost certain now that this is his last year, he has lost his speed and that means he is giving away even more stupid free kicks than usual and not making up for it with positive contributions. Again the only reason he is still in the side is his experience and the fact there is really no-one to replace him with.
  • Martin - is in bad form, but he is trying to work his way through it. I watched him closely in the second half; he was really having a dip but everything seemed to be going against him, especially the umpiring.
  • Lewy Taylor - again in woeful form. Hiding in the forward pocket when the team is getting smashed is no help to anyone. Needs to get up the ground more when we are struggling. And of course stop the "first look is always backwards" / continued circle madness and horrible defensive efforts.
  • Schache - yeah even Schache. A bit harsh considering how poorly the side is going in general, but looking purely on his numbers, if it wasn't for his potential he wouldn't be getting a game. Defensive and second efforts are pretty much non existent. Kicking for goal has been horrendous. Is not getting up the ground enough either to get into the game.
It is not like the remainder of the side are in great form either. Rich and Hanley in particular should not be played as inside mids on a consistent basis - we need to find alternative positions for them. I would rather see someone like Rohan Bewick in the middle at the centre bounce even.

it has got me beat how a player who has been in the academy system ie. ben keays is on displayed form not an elite kick. surely says something about the academy coaching.

you need to be able to dispose of the ball in at least a serviceable fashion to play at this level although tom bell seems to defy that criteria. i have an 8 year old grandson that has played aussie rules for a few years and this year he moved clubs and his new coach is all about the basics ie.kicking/handballing and the improvement in him has been dramatic.

• Schache - yeah even Schache. A bit harsh considering how poorly the side is going in general, but looking purely on his numbers, if it wasn't for his potential he wouldn't be getting a game. Defensive and second efforts are pretty much non existent. Kicking for goal has been horrendous. Is not getting up the ground enough either to get into the game.
It is not like the remainder of the side are in great form either. Rich and Hanley in particular should not be played as inside mids on a consistent basis - we need to find alternative positions for them. I would rather see someone like Rohan Bewick in the middle at the centre bounce even.

This is definitely something that he needs to develop. As for kicking, he did slot a decent one from close to the boundary yesterday.

I would certainly drop Keays and Robertson. Keays is struggling to get a kick and when he does he sprays them. His kicking for goal is very poor. Robertson, continues to try to take the opposition on, when a simple handball is what's required. As was mentioned last week, dropping Freeman and bringing in two backman was a poor decision. At many stages we had Merrett, Gardiner, Andrews and McStay in the back half - way too tall.

OUT: Keays, Robertson
IN : Two of: Green, Freeman/Walker, Matheson, Lester, C.Beams, Paparone (need some semi-experienced guys back)

Suggestions
- McStay to play up forward (leading forward). Having Schache, Bell and West/Martin as our key targets was a shit idea.
- Bell to be given time in the midfield. We got smashed there after qrt time.
- Congest the opp forward line (play more high forward) and get teams on the counter. Don't understand how playing the way we are will help us moving forward.
- Man up in the back half.

Honestly dropping guys to a 4th rate comp where your going to get beaten by guys who worked a real job that morning does not really help.
For me left field I say drop Woewodin the NEAFL is where we are learning to loose.

I did not know why the dropped Freeman.. I would persist with him longer. Yes the West and Martin both cant be in the seniors together.
Maybe give Martin a few weeks off including bye to get his head right he has not been 100% since the knock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back