Free Agency Chris Mayne [signed with Collingwood]

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree. Vickery 2x500 vs Mayne 4x500 = same compensation? There is an 18 month age gap to be fair but that couldn't possibly be worth $1,000,000
There were reports of Ty originally offered a 3 year deal on £400K which wouldn't have given us the round 2 pick. So the club threatened to match until the value per year was increased. Very nice to get Shai Bolton as a result. Value per year has to be a factor if this was true.

Chris MAYNE (Collingwood VFL)
Totals

• 13 games
  • 17 goals
  • 12 behinds
  • 5 times in best players list

Averages
  • 7.4 kicks
  • 7.2 handballs
  • 14.6 disposals
  • 4.6 marks
  • 4.9 tackles
  • 1.2 inside 50s
  • 0.6 rebound 50s
  • 77.00 DT points
If he plays the full VFL season he will be earning almost $2K per disposal.

This deal has confused the life out of me since it happened. Always thought Mayne was a good role player around 2012-2014, then he dropped off quite a bit. I was shocked they gave him 3 years, just a really poor list management decision

This deal has confused the life out of me since it happened. Always thought Mayne was a good role player around 2012-2014, then he dropped off quite a bit. I was shocked they gave him 3 years, just a really poor list management decision
Definitely a four year deal.

If I was Chris Mayne, I am not going anywhere.

green-tick-icon-54801.png
500K per annum for 3 more years of VFL footy
397727_29740b2e78f44077761e02e6d703594d.png
Get only a small fraction of what I am being paid playing local footy.

Winston Bogarde the pies Mayney!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...nge-story-Chelsea-s-misfit.html#ixzz4oeMNthZa

And then, he joined Chelsea. For the uninitiated, Bogarde penned a four-year contract worth £40,000 per week at Stamford Bridge under boss Gianluca Vialli.

A week later the Italian boss was sacked and replaced by Claudio Ranieri. Bogarde was deemed surplus to requirements. The mess didn't end there however.

Rather than seeking a move away in order to play first-team football, the then-30-year-old opted to pick up a pay cheque and sit on the Chelsea bench for four years - while no other club wanted to take on his sizeable wage. He, and his club, were stuck in limbo.

In that time, he made 11 of his 12 appearances in his first season with Chelsea. His second and fourth years yielded zero minutes on pitch while his final appearance came in the League Cup during his third year against Gillingham.

It is worth remembering that this is Chelsea in the pre-Abramovich era; money was not yet abundant at the Bridge. So when the club tried to cut costs and force him out, Bogarde wouldn't budge from the cash he was contractually owed.

'This world is about money, so when you are offered those millions you take them,' he is quoted as saying. 'Few people will ever earn so many. I am one of the few fortunates who do. I may be one of the worst buys in the history of the Premiership but I don't care.'

Bogarde would be released from Chelsea at the end of his contract and never played football again, eventually retiring after a spell training with Ajax.

Strong rumour the contract is front-loaded and heavily performance based.

Graeme Allan should not be allowed back in to the club on the back of that decision. Think Caro reported months ago that Buckley wasn't even consulted.

4 years!!!! Shit me dead.
I don't doubt you. But interesting he'd get the call over Hine and Buckley on such a recruitment. I'd more understand if it was a marquee recruit and Allen wanted a big name but this one is a real head scratcher.
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/afl...haky-after-drugs-scandal-20161025-gsafga.html

"But questions remain over the legitimacy of a number of negotiations enacted between Collingwood and the Giants in the last year of Allan's time at GWS.
And they have continued since he came on board at the Holden Centre. Already disappointed at losing Neil Balme, who was liked and respected and yet treated by Pert and McGuire with less respect, the recruiters at Collingwood were shocked at the move to sign Docker Chris Mayne to a four-year deal worth $2 million — $500,000 a year.

Allan conducted that deal with Mayne's manager, Colin Young, without the full knowledge of his football colleagues and certainly not list management boss Derek Hine, who had offered Mayne a three-year deal worth $380,000 a year."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strong rumour the contract is front-loaded and heavily performance based.
Would have had to have minimum salary such as $500k per year and terms 3/4 years) to trigger compo for freo. Would be surprised if their are additional performance based triggers on top of this.

I mean, I can KINDA understand where Collingwood were going with Mayne.

Their forward line is basically a young Moore and a mosquito fleet. White is a plodder and Cox is still trying to find his feet at this level. I can see the logic in having a 'third tall' type to take some pressure of Moore, to do a lot of the leading and marking across half-forward, and to allow White/Cox to be plonked in the goalsquare just to give a contest.

Clearly it hasn't come remotely up to expectations.....but I get what they were TRYING to do.

Playing well Chris, say sorry boys.

Lol here's big captain hindsight. Curious why you picked those two posts out of the other hundred too?

He's playing well sure. But it's still 2 mil over 4 years for a role player and it's still the wrong decision. Especially when it comes to payday for DeGoey, Philips, Moore etc. Still a wholly laughable decision looking at that contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back