Chris Tarrant's bid to rejoin Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

I can see this turning out bad for us. We shouldn't do everything possible to avoid making our competitors for the flag stronger. Particularly when the loss of Taz makes our back half weaker at the same time.

For all the posturing made by St Kilda last year in the Luke Ball drama, the end result was that Ball went to Collingwood and St Kilda got nothing. Thus Collingwood were made stronger whilst St Kilda were made a bit weaker. Would it have made a difference in the first drawn final?

Jack Anthony obviously has character issues. Remember that Simon LLoyd was at the Pies up until end of last year, so surely he may have said something about his personality that has put the club off going for Anthony (if he was put up in the first place). Trust in the list management group. They have done a great job since Brad Lloyd took over. What ever happens is in their hands.:thumbsu:

If the earlier post about us "blinking" on the Warnock deal has any credence then we would best be served by standing firm than bear the reputation of being pushovers.

As pointed out, in the short term it was painful for Port to lose Stevens for nothing but since then their trading has been straightforward and no fiascoes like the one we're enduring now.

Do we really want to go through the humiliation again of being offered soon-to-be delisted players (Blight), relics (Davis/Fraser), unmotivated prima donnas (Medhurst) and lazy sods who won't follow the team plan (Anthony)?

The problem with Warnock was that he was worth a pick in the late teens and the Blues had picks 6 and 24. So they were either going to pay way over the odds or get a slight bargain.

I said when it became official that taz was going that he was worth pick 35-40 so if we get the Pies 2nd rounder it's close to a fair deal.

If Blight is someone that the Fremantle Football Club rates then it's kind of irrelevant that he's about to be de-listed aslong as there's a draft pick(s) involved too.

Whilst Freo want our players and ex players to be happy. this is quite simply and insult considering that the Hawks and Blues would most likely give up their first Round pick for Taz.

Highly unlikely mate. Hall and Aka are the precedents here and they went for picks in the 30's IIRC.

Highly unlikely mate. Hall and Aka are the precedents here and they went for picks in the 30's IIRC.

Ok Dominguez, I am going to take you Back. WAY back in time to remember a situation where Carlton were DESPERATE (Like now) to get a Full Back who can hold down the defense since Silvagni. Ready?

Stephen O'Reilly!

Carlton career

Personal reasons saw O'Reilly request a transfer back to Melbourne at the end of 1999 season. Carlton agreed to a trade and Fremantle received selections 16 and 46 in return. O'Reilly played 12 games for Carlton in 2000, but due to a recurring back injury couldn't regain the form he had shown at Fremantle. He retired at the end of 2000 having played a total of 146 games over 8 years at three clubs.
Believe me, both Carlton AND the Hawks believe that they are on the verge of something great and both are missing a Key Position Full back to make them a real chance.

Enter Taz, seriously. The hands down best opportunity for a talented, versatile, rebounding, highly skilled Full Back in AGES. Are you telling me that either team is not willing to pay more than the Pies for his services? Damn straight they would!

The closest examples in recent years to Chris Tarrant are Barry Hall and Jason Akermanis.

Both players went in exchange for a pick in the 30s.

That is where you should be aiming.

Both those players didn't have fitness issues either.

The closest examples in recent years to Chris Tarrant are Barry Hall and Jason Akermanis.

Pies, this for me raises the big question. Why? Why do you want him? Is it to raise membership numbers? Your defense is intact and sound. You can live without him. Is it a case where you dont want other teams to have who will be AA Full Back in 2011. That may be the case.

Comparisons to Hall and Aka are useless. Both well over 30 and in their sunset. Carlton are asking a FIRST ROUND pick for Jacobs. First Round! The guy is struggling to get a game at the Blues. You CANT dictate the asking price at any team other than Collingwood. That is why you are trying to unfairly bully others out of the market as you did with Ball.

DL1, we simply do not know why Pies want Tarrant. Obviously they have something in mind for him. Presti's pending retirement? Perhaps. Who knows.

However, in regards to Collingwood "unfairly bullying others out of the market" is complete nonsense. We offered very fair compo for Luke Ball. Pick 30 was on the table and we had Wellingham available too. Saints decided to bend over their former captain and in the end Ball still got to where he wanted to go within the rules of the game. He and the club did nothing illegal. On draft day, the market spoke and determined Luke Ball's value to be pick 30 (less than what Collingwood was offering at the trade table).

You also have a very short memory. Adam McPhee ring a bell? Didn't you take him via the PSD? He was 27yrs old, coming out of contract and a pretty pivotal player at Essendon. You didn't trade for him, rather you just let it play out and nabbed him for nothing. It's the way the system operates. Every club capitalises if they are in positions to do so. Look at GC + Lions with Brennan and 2nd uncontracted signing.

DL1, we simply do not know why Pies want Tarrant. Obviously they have something in mind for him. Presti's pending retirement? Perhaps. Who knows.

However, in regards to Collingwood "unfairly bullying others out of the market" is complete nonsense. We offered very fair compo for Luke Ball. Pick 30 was on the table and we had Wellingham available too. Saints decided to bend over their former captain and in the end Ball still got to where he wanted to go within the rules of the game. He and the club did nothing illegal. On draft day, the market spoke and determined Luke Ball's value to be pick 30 (less than what Collingwood was offering at the trade table).

You also have a very short memory. Adam McPhee ring a bell? Didn't you take him via the PSD? He was 27yrs old, coming out of contract and a pretty pivotal player at Essendon. You didn't trade for him, rather you just let it play out and nabbed him for nothing. It's the way the system operates. Every club capitalises if they are in positions to do so. Look at GC + Lions with Brennan and 2nd uncontracted signing.

PuhLeaaaaaaase! We made him a 4 year deal ( A Better DEAL!) when the Dons were not fussed about losing him they offered him an ordinary 3 year deal. I bet that Hird wished that knights had more sence now. We also had a VERY high pick in the PSD unlike the Pies, just a reminder, you have the LAST pick. You can ask Taz to set terms for his drafting (High pay or whatever) but be ready to run the gauntlet. He HAS to go to any club if he is going into the National Draft and they have VERY strict rules on tampering.

You have offered us NOTHING like Pick 30 and Wellingham on the trade table. The Pies have convinced Taz that they want him and to come home and now he is sweating a deal. Collingwood have to come to the party otherwise there are going to be some very upset people East AND West.

As for Tazza.

You always want your own back. Especially the redeemed ones. It is a great story.

Plus Malthouse has one year to win a flag. He wants everyone he can get.

The hardball stance of Ross Lyon cost St Kilda the premiership.

Ross Lyon rejected pick 30 AND Tyson Goldsack in exchange for Luke Ball!

If I recall correctly, the Pies tried a final effort before the deadline where they were going to trade Wellingham to St Kilda for Ball. That too, was rejected by Lyon.

Wellingham had the exact pace that Ross Lyon had been longing to inject into his team.

If he makes either of those trades, St Kilda win the first Grand Final and history is changed forever.

But Ross in his infinite wisdom and in a fateful egotrip, rejected the premiership and confined his team to runners up.

Freo, take notice and don't suffer from the same fate.

I am amazed you wouldn't jump at Anthony.

But C'est La Vie.

As for Tazza.

You always want your own back. Especially the redeemed ones. It is a great story.

If I recall correctly, the Pies tried a final effort before the deadline where they were going to trade Wellingham to St Kilda for Ball. That too, was rejected by Lyon.

Wellingham had the exact pace that Ross Lyon had been longing to inject into his team.

If he makes either of those trades, St Kilda win the first Grand Final and history is changed forever.

But Ross in his infinite wisdom and in a fateful egotrip, rejected the premiership and confined his team to runners up.

What we've done differently, is already got a new young Full Back, plus we also have other experienced key defenders other than Tarrant such as Grover, McPharlin, Dodd, and even Michael Johnson to a lesser extent. We covered our losses, and really, getting another player from you is a bit of a bonus in my eyes.

As for Tazza.

That is just it! Collingwood have offered us NOTHING for Taz. Come to the Table Pies and make all parties happy!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Enter Taz, seriously. The hands down best opportunity for a talented, versatile, rebounding, highly skilled Full Back in AGES. Are you telling me that either team is not willing to pay more than the Pies for his services? Damn straight they would!

lol, not sure pulling up a precedent from last millenium will hold up in court DL1. ;)

The real kick in the nuts for Freo is the fact that the Pies can put him on the veterans list.

Lets say all 3 clubs rate Taz as a $300,000 a year player. The pies can offer him a 1 million dollar 2 year deal with only the $600,000 counting in the cap. I reckon he wouldn't be too fazed by going to Hawthorn or Carlton but they can't offer the $$$ that the Pies can.

Agree with your post, but on the bold part Taz carries a lot less off field baggage than those two.

PuhLeaaaaaaase! We made him a 4 year deal ( A Better DEAL!) when the Dons were not fussed about losing him they offered him an ordinary 3 year deal. I bet that Hird wished that knights had more sence now. We also had a VERY high pick in the PSD unlike the Pies, just a reminder, you have the LAST pick. You can ask Taz to set terms for his drafting (High pay or whatever) but be ready to run the gauntlet. He HAS to go to any club if he is going into the National Draft and they have VERY strict rules on tampering.

You have offered us NOTHING like Pick 30 and Wellingham on the trade table. The Pies have convinced Taz that they want him and to come home and now he is sweating a deal. Collingwood have to come to the party otherwise there are going to be some very upset people East AND West.

True, we do have the last pick in the PSD. This is why Taz will enter the National Draft so in the event that another club wants to take him, they have to waste a national draft pick, rather than a meaningless PSD selecton. We aren't doing anything illegal or in regards to "tampering" here. Every club manipulates the rules (legally). Just look at GC+ Lions over Brennan.

Also, we WON'T be offering anything like pick 30 or Wellingham either. Luke Ball was 25. Tarrant is 30. Big difference. Also Tarrant has threatened to retire.

At the end of the day, whilst I expect a deal to be done, even if there isn't there will not be many upset fans in the east because the likelihood is that Tarrant will still get to Collingwood. If anything, Freo are the ones that are going to have to "come to the party" and secure something, rather than be left with nothing.

lol, not sure pulling up a precedent from last millenium will hold up in court DL1. ;)

The real kick in the nuts for Freo is the fact that the Pies can put him on the veterans list.

Lets say all 3 clubs rate Taz as a $300,000 a year player. The pies can offer him a 1 million dollar 2 year deal with only the $600,000 counting in the cap. I reckon he wouldn't be too fazed by going to Hawthorn or Carlton but they can't offer the $$$ that the Pies can.

There are also other forces at work here. Just about every team (Including St Kilda) would love to have Taz. There are many that do not have the salary cap pressure that the Top Teams have. He would not want to take those chances, imagine a Brisbane turning around and going. We have the space for 2 years in our salary cap (now that everyone has left). A Melbourne would be interested. I am not even sure if the GC would be game. They sure as Hell have the $$$ to throw around.

Would a player looking to head back to Melbourne want to take those risks? Nope. You also know that if he nominates for the Draft, he HAS to go to the team that selects him. Pick 43 is the first live pick for the Pies. Hawthorn and Carlton have 2 picks before then. You know and I know that they would LOVE to get Taz for a 2nd round pick.

Looking forward to the close of business Monday so at least we know what has happened!

True, we do have the last pick in the PSD. This is why Taz will enter the National Draft so in the event that another club wants to take him, they have to waste a national draft pick, rather than a meaningless PSD selecton. We aren't doing anything illegal or in regards to "tampering" here. Every club manipulates the rules (legally). Just look at GC+ Lions over Brennan.

Also, we WON'T be offering anything like pick 30 or Wellingham either. Luke Ball was 25. Tarrant is 30. Big difference. Also Tarrant has threatened to retire.

At the end of the day, whilst I expect a deal to be done, even if there isn't there will not be many upset fans in the east because the likelihood is that Tarrant will still get to Collingwood. If anything, Freo are the ones that are going to have to "come to the party" and secure something, rather than be left with nothing.

By threatening to retire if Taz is selected by a team that is not Collingwood IS Draft tampering. That is the whole thing!

By threatening to retire if Taz is selected by a team that is not Collingwood IS Draft tampering. That is the whole thing!

Too much of a grey area and very hard to prove. One could argue, he is being "honest" and has let everyone know what his intentions are. It's now upto the clubs to decide what they want to do.

AFL rules are also in place. If Taz is selected by another club and he doesn't want to play for them, under the rules, he must sit out of the game for 23 months ( I think that number is right). Ultimately for someone of Tarrant's age, that is retirement.

The AFL was relieved last year that Luke Ball got to Collingwood, there is no doubt about that, particularly as Free Agency is around the corner.

They'll also be hoping Tarrant gets to Collingwood because if he doesn't it only strengthens Free Agency further and we will see clubs getting seriously burnt in the future with players who are still in their prime, rather than players at the pointy end.

Bit of a difference between Taz and those 2 tbh.

Both those blokes had got the flick by their club, and noone was interested in them but WB. Freo tried its hardest to keep Tarrant, and there are at least 4 clubs that would take him if he wanted to play there. He is of comparable ability/age/health as those guys are, but has a hell of alot more interest shown in him, that to me says he's worth the same or more, which Collingwood haven't come close to offering.

As for the fitness issues, Aker had problems with his hammies in his last season, and Barry had groin trouble, aswell as smashing his wrist the season before.

But C'est La Vie.

Your midfield certainly has ours covered, but I'd argue that our forward line is atleast on par with yours so if Anthony couldn't get a game at Collingwood he's no walk up start at Fremantle.

Tarrant's among our 6 most imprtant players IMO (Sandi, Pav, Barlow, Mundy, Tarrant, Hill in that order) so we're trading our 5th best player for a guy who will sit somewhere around 18-25 in the batting order. That's a shit deal, and if he did turn his career around and establish himself in our best 18 there's a fair chance that he'd do a Tarrant/Croad and request a trade home in a couple years anyway.

But C'est La Vie.

The way I understand it we were not offered a straight swap it was Tarrent + pick 20 for anthony + Pick 45.

All this talk of anthony's value verses Tarrent's value is a waste of time - that was not the offer

Your team offered a sh#it deal involving Anthony and it was rejected, now the way I understand it we are being offered a 3rd round pick - we are being offered sh#t - that is why we keep rejecting

Your midfield certainly has ours covered, but I'd argue that our forward line is atleast on par with yours so if Anthony couldn't get a game at Collingwood he's no walk up start at Fremantle.

Our forward line shits on yours tbh, yours is a one man forward line. Pavlich, Pavlich, Pavlich...

Anthony walks into your forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Tarrant's bid to rejoin Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back