Chris Tarrant's bid to rejoin Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

And do you realise how that comment works as much against as for you?

I reckon you're probably quite a genuine and fair-minded supporter but (and this is not directed at you personally) is your track record "decent"?

Nick Stevens, Ball, you had Essendon over a salary-cap barrel with Caracella, you left Carlton seething over Bryan and even the Jolly-Shaw trade was not without its hiccups.

Which trades were you thinking of?

The Jolly trade didn't have hiccups, it was one of the clearer trades that week.
Nick Stevens for Didak? Seriously? Do you blame us for walking away?
Ball looks bad on our part, but pick 30 and Goldsack/Wellingham, when you have an out of contract player who has committed to leave is reasonably fair. Have to remember a large part of the reason we couldn't get a trade done was that Lyon didn't want to give a player to a flag rival at any cost.
Shaw for an upgrade from pick 61 - 46 is a very fair trade.
Don't even remember the Bryan trade, useless player.

I genuinely don't believe we have a bad track record, but we will start to get one if we keep acting like this.

I think the best we can hope for in this lot is:
1. Pick 43 (Seems highly unlikely)
2. Straight swap for John Anthony (Seems Fremantle aren't keen)
3. Pick 55 + Jarred Blight
4. Pick 55 + Pick 60

Fremantle would then use pick 60 or 61 for Jon Griffin of Adelaide.

So in effect Fremantle would get Griffin + Faulks + Pick 60/Blight for Tarrant.

Having a second look over Blight he certainly looks like a talent at around 190cms and only 19 years of age. Fremantle would then be left with picks 20, 38/42, 55/60 & 60/66, & 72/78 which should net some further talent.

Not great compensation and in an ideal world Goldsack or a pick between 37 - 43 would have been about fair but neither is going to happen because of the GF win, the Krakouer trade and the fact Taz wont go near Carlton/Hawthorn

Taz was always a possibility to retire from AFL which means I really think that he has only 1 - 2 more years left in his body.

You know what, i'm actually getting sick of tarrant and his managers antics, sent the dog to the draft. We don't need thier charity picks.

And not just us - Carlton are equally lukewarm it would seem

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/grigg-a-tiger-collins-a-blue-20101009-16d50.html

The Blues will turn their attention to finding new homes for Andrew Walker and Sam Jacobs, but have expressed only minor interest in Jack Anthony ...
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/grigg-a-tiger-collins-a-blue-20101009-16d50.html

As Bond pointed out, they asked for breathing space to work on their list due to the GF so we cut them some slack.

Which they reciprocated with this:

Fremantle have pick 61. Collingwood have two 3rd round picks 55 and 60. Their fourth round pick is not until 77. As such the Age have no idea what they're talking about re: the following quote:
"Tarrant but Collingwood, knowing it can get him for nothing, has offered its fourth-round pick (currently 61) for the 30-year-old."

You know what, i'm actually getting sick of tarrant and his managers antics, sent the dog to the draft.

It may well come down to this.

But the only ones who can disrupt Collingwood's strategy are Pelchen or Icke and so you'd have to put yourself in their shoes and ask the question - will Taz really pull the trigger and retire if they draft him, and so lose a pick in a strong draft?

They might well take heart from the fact that Taz has changed his tune once (i.e., "Me wants to repay Fremantle" to "What dis Fremantle you speak of?"), and so might again.

Personally, if I were Icke I'd plonk Taz and his missus down in front of the Visy property manager with a list of Visy's surplus assets and let greed take its course.

After all, it worked with Judd.

Fremantle have pick 61. Collingwood have two 3rd round picks 55 and 60. Their fourth round pick is not until 77. As such the Age have no idea what they're talking about re: the following quote:
"Tarrant but Collingwood, knowing it can get him for nothing, has offered its fourth-round pick (currently 61) for the 30-year-old."

Meh, a minor glitch, common when you get an article co-authored and the night sub-editor calls in sick or is just plain useless.

Hardly distracts from the underlying message that Collingwood are sending though, does it?

You know what, i'm actually getting sick of tarrant and his managers antics, sent the dog to the draft. We don't need thier charity picks.

This.

If we don't get pick 43, then I hope the club says "F@#* you Chris Tarrant. Good luck in the draft".

I'd suggest that this has gone too far for us to fold now. If we accept Pick 55, then it makes us look p1ss poor at the trade table again.

I'd rather get nothing and hold our heads up, than take charity. Makes me respect Ross Lyon just a bit more, actually.

pick 55 or whatever is an insult and very little value to us.
better of saying screw u guys get him in the draft then hopefully they use their 1st pick on him, meaning they miss out on a potentially good youngster.
If we give him to them for pick 55 they can then use their 1st pick to get potentially good youngster.

Unfortunately when a player says i only want to play for such an such team most other clubs wont risk wasting a pick on a player that doesnt want to be there.
Thats why stuff like this is draft tampering an unless the AFL grow a pair it will continue to happen an will only get worse.

Your midfield certainly has ours covered, but I'd argue that our forward line is atleast on par with yours so if Anthony couldn't get a game at Collingwood he's no walk up start at Fremantle.

Tarrant's among our 6 most imprtant players IMO (Sandi, Pav, Barlow, Mundy, Tarrant, Hill in that order) so we're trading our 5th best player for a guy who will sit somewhere around 18-25 in the batting order. That's a shit deal, and if he did turn his career around and establish himself in our best 18 there's a fair chance that he'd do a Tarrant/Croad and request a trade home in a couple years anyway.

I'm not so sure your forward line has ours covered...Fremantle does score efficiently when they go in there, basically because when they enter the forward 50, particularly at Subiaco, there is a heap of space. This occurs because Sandilands successfully punches the ball form congestion for players like Hill and Mundy to run onto and then of course they can deliver inside 50 without too many numbers back.

Collingwood go inside 50 to stay inside 50 unless they score a goal. They go wide and hit up targets, it's a safe ploy but it doesn't really play to the strengths of MaCaffer, Dawes or Cloke, most of the time those guys are contesting outnumbered.

I'd say man for man we are about even, with both sides having a heap of young potential meaning we will know the answer to this in a few years.

* stupid post, sorry I actually agreed with you!!!

A bit like other posters the Tarrant trade is fast approaching curiosity value but it is funny to see the threads move back and forth from that's ridiculous to never gonna happen, on both sides. The thread seems to be settling on about the 43 pick (or later pick plus something) will be interesting to see where the people at Etihad put it come Monday arvo :).

Tarrant has shown his 'Quality'. Freo should do the following:

1. Let him go to the draft like a little sookie boy.
2. First game next year, 'help' him into retirement with a few tackles to the knees. Karma will be a b@tch!!!
3. Have an anti-Connors bonus for any player on the list, say 15K to dump him if he is their agent.
4. File away this trade period and pay Collingwood back at some stage in the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to the AFL and Herald Sun website:

Link
Trade winds: Freo to lose Tarrant for nothing
By Katrina Gill 11:38 AM Sun 10 Oct, 2010

Tarrant_Rd810_246a.jpg

IT IS increasingly likely Fremantle will lose uncontracted defender Chris Tarrant for nothing after Collingwood ruled out giving up pick No.43 in next month's NAB AFL Draft for the 30-year-old.

Tarrant walked out on the Dockers to return to Melbourne at the end of the season and has nominated former club Collingwood as his team of choice.

The Pies, who are aware they can secure the veteran as a free agent in the pre-season or national drafts, are refusing to budge on their offer of pick No.55, according to a report in the Sunday Herald Sun.

Tarrant has already gone public saying he'll retire if a club other than Collingwood tries to pick him up, meaning he could land at the Pies under similar circumstances to premiership player Luke Ball last year.

Full article

I think the best we can hope for in this lot is:
1. Pick 43 (Seems highly unlikely)
3. Pick 55 + Jarred Blight
4. Pick 55 + Pick 60

Fremantle would then use pick 60 or 61 for Jon Griffin of Adelaide.

So in effect Fremantle would get Griffin + Faulks + Pick 60/Blight for Tarrant.

Having a second look over Blight he certainly looks like a talent at around 190cms and only 19 years of age. Fremantle would then be left with picks 20, 38/42, 55/60 & 60/66, & 72/78 which should net some further talent.

Not great compensation and in an ideal world Goldsack or a pick between 37 - 43 would have been about fair but neither is going to happen because of the GF win, the Krakouer trade and the fact Taz wont go near Carlton/Hawthorn

Taz was always a possibility to retire from AFL which means I really think that he has only 1 - 2 more years left in his body.

spot on. Griffin, Faulks and Blight for Tarrant would be a good outcome for this trading period. Griffin is the backup to 211 we need and the latter two are young players with a promising future. Forget egos and principles. Look at the big picture. Get it done.

Starting to get sick of the ****ing pricktorian bias and their ****ing lovechild the suns. Collingwood once again breaking the rules with draft tampering involving chris tarrant. Identical to luke ball last year.

You guys get sweet **** all yet brisbane for a player of similar quality and class in brennan get an upgrade of their first pick from 10-5, an extra first round pick at 25 and a swap of a compensation pick for pick 27.

Im ****ing ropable with the ****ing afl and their bullshit bending over to help clubs in poor financial positions. Carlton lost the first 2 rounds of the draft for salary cap breaches and the afl instead of doing that to brisbane is discharging their players for first round draft picks.

Anyways best of luck to your club and chris tarrant, hope you dont get bent over.

He is a dog, we need to redraft and have him retire.

FFS even pick 43 is an insult. Collingwood will draft him with pick 43.

No we won't. If we aren't willing to trade pick 43, why will we use it to take Tarrant in the draft? We'd be better off doing the deal if that were the case.

At the end of the day, you have pick 38- which is a 2nd rounder. You will not use a second rounder to re-draft a player who will walk into retirement. It just won't happen. Your next pick is 61. In between 43 and 61, Collingwood have two other picks.

No we won't. If we aren't willing to trade pick 43, why will we use it to take Tarrant in the draft? We'd be better off doing the deal if that were the case.

At the end of the day, you have pick 38- which is a 2nd rounder. You will not use a second rounder to re-draft a player who will walk into retirement. It just won't happen. Your next pick is 61. In between 43 and 61, Collingwood have two other picks.

So, looks like we need to find a trade for Schammer for an early 3rd rounder just to make sure if the retirement.

I reckon this is why the Faulks deal went through, the pies specifically asked for a 3rd rounder before Freo's

I reckon this is why the Faulks deal went through, the pies specifically asked for a 3rd rounder before Freo's

Agree, they wanted to put us out of the play to make sure they had a clear run at Tarrant in the Draft for free. Just so they could **** us over in the trade. There is no way they had anything else in mind. I reckon the may have orchestrated the Faulks deal in some way. Mckenna has Malthouse ties and was a Malthouse assistant at one point, wasn't he?

Trade and draft manipulatiuon seems to be nothing new for Collingwood. I would not be surprised if they reduced their offer to a late 4th round pick now.

Hawks have pick 52 & 54, Collingwood 55. I wonder what it would take to shake 54 out of Hawks?

Schammer/Hinkley/Dood + 61? I realise they won't be wanting our crap, but there must be something of depth value.

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Tarrant's bid to rejoin Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back