Clark trade discussion #2 (please read opening post)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon Ralph's news that the trade has been done with Freo doesn't really surprise me. This really isn't that complicated IMO.

However, I think that if the trade is done, it suggests that there are no other players involved though. Convincing a player to move clubs is a complication. On that basis, I'd say it is more likely than not a straight swap for pick 16.

The only thing that then doesn't make sense is why Voss talked so tough publicly on the trade terms. If we accept pick 16 only, all Voss has done is built supporters' expectations for no outcome. Perhaps there are other draft picks thrown in (eg the Palmer compo for one of our end of 1st rounders this year).

Assuming Ralph is correct.....

However, I think that if the trade is done, it suggests that there are no other players involved though. Convincing a player to move clubs is a complication. On that basis, I'd say it is more likely than not a straight swap for pick 16.

The only thing that then doesn't make sense is why Voss talked so tough publicly on the trade terms. If we accept pick 16 only, all Voss has done is built supporters' expectations for no outcome. Perhaps there are other draft picks thrown in (eg the Palmer compo for one of our end of 1st rounders this year).

They've had weeks to get it done - I'd have thought that'd be plenty of time to sort it out either way.

Perhaps there are other draft picks thrown in (eg the Palmer compo for one of our end of 1st rounders this year).

What like Clark & pick 30 <<>> pick 16 & Palmer compo?

Would be more than happy with that.

why would that mean no other players are involved? Freo wouldn't exactly let slip anything about one of their players being involved in the trade. There was that rumour from PattyKisagun last week that John Anthony had met with Voss at the Gabba

(Log in to remove this ad.)

why would that mean no other players are involved? Freo wouldn't exactly let slip anything about one of their players being involved in the trade. There was that rumour from PattyKisagun last week that John Anthony had met with Voss at the Gabba

I guess if another player was involved, there would be a fair chance it would slip out somehow. Players have friends and family who would be told not to tell anyone, but these things almost always slip out.

I'd take that.

Cue the Freo outrage/PSD threats.

I am outraged. We'll just tell him to go into the PSD and you'll get sweet f.........;)

Seriously, I'd be annoyed if that was the deal.

I'm sure you would.

Haha. TBH that's a win for us so I don't think that'll be it (I'd be content, if not happy) for pick 16 alone. I was merely musing on POBT's musings. Of course I now fully expect to traipse onto the Freo board and see posts of the nature of: "The Brisbane Board think they're going to get this" :D. Although I agree that IF Jon Ralph is correct that IF a deal has been agreed to at this stage, it's unlikely players have been involved. Those are big ifs though.

Jon Ralph's news that the trade has been done with Freo doesn't really surprise me. This really isn't that complicated IMO.

Possibly or a trade is still to be worked out.....Could simply mean Clark's agreed in principal to sign a contract offer made by Freo.... Ralph's quote is "Word today was that he is a done deal at Freo"....

You'd think pick 16 must be involved. Also it's still possible a player could be involved. Both clubs would've done their player reviews and I think it's very possible that the player involved in the trade knew that he wasn't seen to be a part in Fremantle's future and decided a second chance in Brisbane could be necessary.

You'd think pick 16 must be involved.

I wouldn't put your house on it. Too many possible alternatives.

Ergh...I only just realised that this year's another stupid 8 day draft period, which means we have to endure another two weekends of speculation before it is all done and dusted. Here's hoping this trade's done early.

What like Clark & pick 30 <<>> pick 16 & Palmer compo?

Would be more than happy with that.

I'd take that at this stage, but it's a lot less than what Clark's worth.

I still feel that a player might be involved, but it might be someone we're not anticipating. If it was someone with a profile like Zac Clarke I reckon there'd be more media noise.

Possibly or a trade is still to be worked out.....Could simply mean Clark's agreed in principal to sign a contract offer made by Freo.... Ralph's quote is "Word today was that he is a done deal at Freo"....

Given Ralphy's wording in today's article it sounds like he meant "he'll get to Freo" rather than "the deal has been finalised":

Kurt Tippett seems more likely to stay at Adelaide, and Brisbane's Mitch Clark is increasingly certain to get to Fremantle.

New Dockers coach Ross Lyon likes Clark, and Fremantle has either a first-round pick as well or a compensation pick for Rhys Palmer that could underpin the deal.

why would that mean no other players are involved?

If it is a trade involving Clark + draft picks(s), there is only 1 player involved. In this instant, it is a player who already knows where he wants to go so it is pretty simple. If you introduce a second player, you have to negotiate contracts with a second player who has to think about whether he's willing to come to Brisbane, at what price and on what contract length. If you introduce a third player, you make it even more complex. Deals with players take time and energy. For a deal to be done this early indicates to me that it is a very simple trade which would probably mean no other players are involved. I may be wrong but I think it is a reasonable assumption to make (unlike believing what you read in the Hun!!!).

However, I think Ralph's article in the paper seems to suggest that the Freo-Clark part of the deal is done - the Freo-Brisbane part is still open.

He'll be a longer way off if he has to play second fiddle to mature top-ups who don't fit our list development.

We also have a salary cap to worry about.

If we are going after mature types, lets get Leuey some backup.

Yeah, would much rather Kepler than Duffield tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back