News Clubs operating league-sanctioned drug testing program - Harley Balic’s Dad Speaks

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Statement

As well as being a signatory to World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) code via the Australian Football Anti-Doping Code, the AFL has an Illicit Drug Policy which has been in place since 2005, and at the core of the policy is a commitment to player wellbeing and welfare.

The AFL Illicit Drug Policy (IDP) is a policy that specifically deals with the use of illicit substances out of competition and is focussed on player health and well-being. The policy seeks to reduce substance use and drug-related harms for AFL players and aims to inform and rehabilitate players through education and intervention.

It exists alongside and in addition to the Australian Football Anti-Doping Code which covers prohibited substances including some illicit substances in competition as prescribed by the WADA prohibited list.

Urine tests conducted by doctors to determine if a player has used illicit substances are part of the AFL’s Illicit Drug Policy medical model and have been for some time.

Doctors may use those urine tests to obtain an immediate result to determine whether any illicit substance remains in a player’s system. This is normally conducted at the club or in the doctors consulting rooms.

If the test shows a substance is still in the players system, a doctor will take steps to prevent a player from taking part in either training and/or an AFL match both for their own health and welfare and because having illicit substances in your system on match day may be deemed performance enhancing and a breach of the Australian Football Anti-Doping Code (depending on the substance involved).

It is absolutely imperative that no doctor or club official should ever allow or encourage a player to take the field knowing they have recently taken an illicit substance that may be harmful to their health and/or may be deemed performance-enhancing (as many illicit substances are on match day).

We support the WADA code (as it applies to our sport through the Australian Football Anti-Doping Code) and support the fundamental premise on which it is founded that any player who takes the field with a performance-enhancing prohibited substance in their system should be treated in accordance with the Anti-Doping Code and face heavy sanctions.

The AFL observes that AFL players are not immune to the societal issues faced by young people with respect to illicit substances and also acknowledges that illicit drug use problems commonly co-occur with other mental health conditions.

While the AFL’s medical model involves a multidisciplinary healthcare management plan, the monitoring of players is highly confidential. A doctor or healthcare professional generally cannot disclose the nature of the clinical intervention or condition to others unless the player willingly consents.

We understand that the Illicit Drugs Policy can be improved and we are working with the AFLPA and players to improve the policy and the system to ensure we are better able to change the behaviours of players. But we are unapologetic about club and AFL doctors taking the correct steps to ensure that any player who they believe has an illicit substance in their system does not take part in any AFL match and that doctor patient confidentially is upheld and respected.

The AFL will always be required to make decisions which seek to balance competing rights and interests. The medical interests and welfare of players is a priority for the AFL given everything we know about the risks facing young people generally and those who play our game in particular.

Last edited:
Surely there's a provision in the sports integrity australia or anti-doping legislation somewhere that says professional leagues can't just make up injuries to cover up players getting coked up the wazoo.
If they're not 'competing', are they actually technically breaching any rules?

AFL can just withdraw from WADA, problem is that would result in the loss of Government funding. As I have said, the AFL will just say this is part of their illicit drug program to help players.
I'll have to take your word for it I guess, but that feels like a big deal to me.

The official AFL defense will be that this was part of their illicit drugs program. It was part of looking after the player and the club doctor helping them with their drug issue. As part of helping the player the doctor conducted a test to identify what the player was taking etc etc.

Under the drug policy this was kept confidential as per the agreement with the players association so that players would seek help. As the player never played with it in their system they broke no rules.
I'm looking forward to how they'll justify the part where the clubs lied to their members and the public that star player x was away with a minor hamstring injury for a couple weeks when really they were taking up a nightly residency in their local dive bar cubicle.

Just legalise them, at the very least legalise cocaine in Sydney.The war is lost, too much overhead to enforce.

Cocaine is actually a performance enhancer.

Lots of illegal drugs can be performance enhancers if used in certain ways.

Apm GIF by Alguna pregunta més?

Always knew Mil Hanna was suss

I get this, but presumably there is a huge difference between taking it 5 days before a game, and 5 minutes before a game.

Surely having cocaine in your system from 5 nights ago, if anything, is net negative.

I don’t think anyone wants players to be high while playing (hello Ben cousins, Swans robbed 2006).

But if they’re testing for whether it is “in their system”, or even as suggested re: AFLW girls, do hair samples (could have taken it a year ago), this seems like we’re throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Happy with a saliva test morning of every game, but otherwise I don't see the issue with players shoving whatever they want up whatever they want

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm looking forward to how they'll justify the part where the clubs lied to their members and the public that star player x was away with a minor hamstring injury for a couple weeks when really they were taking up a nightly residency in their local dive bar cubicle.

The drug problem was a result of a mental health issue and the player was self medicating and needed help. The player was being helped by the club doctor who as part of the program requested regular drug tests so he could monitor the players well being.

The drug problem was a result of a mental health issue and the player was self medicating and needed help. The player was being helped by the club doctor who as part of the program requested regular drug tests so he could monitor the players well being.

Except the club doctor and his president aren't saying that. If Wilkie's speech is true, they are saying the AFL was coordinating the process and were warned by Bartlett that this was misconduct to circumvent the world code

I rise to bring the house’s attention deeply troubling allegations of egregious misconduct within the AFL provided by former Melbourne football club president Glen Bartlett, former Melbourne football club doctor ZeeshanArain and Shaun Smith, father of Melbourne player and now alleged drug trafficker Joel Smith.

The allegations include the prevalence of drug abuse and other prohibited behaviour across the AFL, off the books drug-testingof players at Dorevitch Pathology in Heidelberg, facilitated by the former chief medical officer of the AFL Peter Harcourt, the resting of players testing positive in these secret tests, ostensibly on account of injury,
wilful inaction by AFL chairman Richard Goyder, and former CEO Gill McLachlan

Here are very detailed notes of a telephone meeting between Gill McLachlan, Richard Goyder and Glen Bartlett

Don't get me wrong. Players totally should have access to their own private drug tests, and they're also entitled to keep those private drug tests confidential.

But when the tests are being facilitated by their employer, and if the allegation about the systemic inventing of fake injuries is true, that's not just about helping the players, its also calling into question the integrity of the game.

Oh the poor child. Won't someone think of the wealthy, entitled, gifted, spoilt young man for once, please!

Except the club doctor and his president aren't saying that. If Wilkie's speech is true, they are saying the AFL was coordinating the process and were warned by Bartlett that this was misconduct to circumvent the world code

I rise to bring the house’s attention deeply troubling allegations of egregious misconduct within the AFL provided by former Melbourne football club president Glen Bartlett, former Melbourne football club doctor ZeeshanArain and Shaun Smith, father of Melbourne player and now alleged drug trafficker Joel Smith.

The allegations include the prevalence of drug abuse and other prohibited behaviour across the AFL, off the books drug-testingof players at Dorevitch Pathology in Heidelberg, facilitated by the former chief medical officer of the AFL Peter Harcourt, the resting of players testing positive in these secret tests, ostensibly on account of injury,
wilful inaction by AFL chairman Richard Goyder, and former CEO Gill McLachlan

Here are very detailed notes of a telephone meeting between Gill McLachlan, Richard Goyder and Glen Bartlett

Couple of people v the entire AFL, good luck. I agree with you but the AFL and media have too much invested not to shoot it down

I have little time for AFL anymore, so much of the game is just wrong re integrity that I find it very hard to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Clubs operating league-sanctioned drug testing program - Harley Balic’s Dad Speaks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back