COLLINGWOOD. NEXT 5 YEARS?

Remove this Banner Ad

12kilos

Club Legend
Sep 25, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hi everyone, there was a video on the afl sites by barrett . What's to old for Collingwood?
Didn't watch it , but I am more interested in your thoughts?
How do proceed in lowering our age profile? I guess more importantly replacing our retired players in the next 5 years without falling of the cliff dramatically?
Maybe even rebuilding our team, but not being too long outside the 8 ie 2 or 3 years?
Can we really follow the Geelong model and just continue to top up? considering we could loose 5 or 6 key players to retirement in the next 2 years?
No draft picks really next year apart from Mickey jnr.
Are we going to have a influx of very good N G.A players in the next 5 years.
Your thoughts guys?
Personally I didn't mind what Richmond did go all in , in the superdraft!
Hate to say it what Richmond did I think was bold and courageous
The can pick up 6 kids , maybe bank 2 future first
Or pick 8 kids and not worry about the draft in the next 2 year and just bring in free agent

Last edited:
We'll start 2026 as a middle of the road side "age profile" wise

We're most likely going to see retirements from:

• Steele
  • Howe
  • Cox
  • Pendles

Thomas McGuane coming in and we'll probably grab 1 or 2 25-27 year old RFAs in their place

We'll be more than fine

We'll start 2026 as a middle of the road side "age profile" wise

We're most likely going to see retirements from:

• Steele
  • Howe
  • Cox
  • Pendles

Thomas McGuane coming in and we'll probably grab 1 or 2 25-27 year old RFAs in their place

We'll be more than fine
Good point but there is no guarantee will get RFA, teams like Richmond and others will also have plenty of cash to splash around
Add to your list of 4 Elliott 35 yrs old that could be 5 retirements next year

Good point but there is no guarantee will get RFA, teams like Richmond and others will also have plenty of cash to splash around
Add to your list of 4 Elliott 35 yrs old that could be 5 retirements next year

Jamie just turned 32 in August

He's almost missed entire seasons through injury so his body still has at least another couple of season in it I reckon

I suspect they'll keep Checkers, Jamie, Crisp and Hoskin for the 2026 season and then retire them off at the end of it

He's almost missed entire seasons through injury so his body still has at least another couple of season in it I reckon

I suspect they'll keep Checkers, Jamie, Crisp and Hoskin for the 2026 season and then retire them off at the end of it
Does this reasoning make sense?

Does this reasoning make sense?

Up to you I guess

If you lose a year to one specific injury type (depending on what that is), the rest of your body isn't being battered from pillar to post each week was my thought process

If you break it down into the players we are losing. Keep it simple and look for position replacements. We will never regain the experience in an offseason regardless.

Ultimate goal is a flag , who cares if the list is skewed towards older players if it works for now.

Steele = McGuane
Pendles = Perryman
Howe = Jiath
Cox = Steene
Elliot = Harrison

One moment people will say we are too old , then the next " oh you cant replace experience with a kid"

We have FA next year to plug another hole. People would know more than me about Grundy and Treloar salaries and if they are still being paid by us and will free up more space

So the above is through players already on our list , just hit the draft where we can. Such a fickle thing the draft in that we could find some late gems.

Beau was taken at 44
Ginni in Rookie Draft

If Richmond think because they've monopoloised the top 20 in a strong draft and everyone's a hit , they are kidding themselves. Go have a look at the picks GWS recieved in 2011/2012 , was no assurance

Last edited:
Up to you I guess

If you lose a year to one specific injury type (depending on what that is), the rest of your body isn't being battered from pillar to post each week was my thought process
Maybe, but I feel as if the kind of injuries Jamie has suffered have increased the wear on other parts of his body. He also gets absolutely battered each week he does play, given he plays like a 5'9" Jonathan Brown

I wish for Elliott's sake that was how it worked, but the blokes who play until old don't usually have a big injury history.

If Richmond think because they've monopoloised the top 20 in a strong draft and everyone's a hit , they are kidding themselves. Go have a look at the picks GWS recieved in 2011/2012 , was no assurance
an example IMO are Cats and hawks of early 2000's.

They nailed those drafts. But it still took hawks 4 years to win the GF....then they were out of it again for another 3.
That draft cohort was the core of the 3 peat, but that was 7+ years down the track.
Same with the cats.

So even if they absolutely nail it, there is some pain.

You only need to find 1-2 each year (on average).
From all avenues (FA/Trade/Draft/rookie/SSP/Cat B).

Injuries and list health always have a big say in what goes on in any one year.
Having a fantastic players at the 30-40 range largely isn't going to move the dial because the majority of them won't play any meaningful part.
Typically that just opens up to players to leaving for more opportunity.

Keeping that top 25-30 in play is what you're trying to do.
It only takes 1-2 each year to do that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you break it down into the players we are losing. Keep it simple and look for position replacements. We will never regain the experience in an offseason regardless.

Ultimate goal is a flag , who cares if the list is skewed towards older players if it works for now.

Steele = McGuane
Pendles = Perryman
Howe = Jiath
Cox = Steene
Elliot = Harrison

One moment people will say we are too old , then the next " oh you cant replace experience with a kid"

We have FA next year to plug another hole. People would know more than me about Grundy and Treloar salaries and if they are still being paid by us and will free up more space

So the above is through players already on our list , just hit the draft where we can. Such a fickle thing the draft in that we could find some late gems.

Beau was taken at 44
Ginni in Rookie Draft

Dan Houstoon Rookie- Port’s 3rd rookie pick. Checkers rookie list.

an example IMO are Cats and hawks of early 2000's.

They nailed those drafts. But it still took hawks 4 years to win the GF....then they were out of it again for another 3.
That draft cohort was the core of the 3 peat, but that was 7+ years down the track.
Same with the cats.

So even if they absolutely nail it, there is some pain.

You only need to find 1-2 each year (on average).
From all avenues (FA/Trade/Draft/rookie/SSP/Cat B).

Injuries and list health always have a big say in what goes on in any one year.
Having a fantastic players at the 30-40 range largely isn't going to move the dial because the majority of them won't play any meaningful part.
Typically that just opens up to players to leaving for more opportunity.

Keeping that top 25-30 in play is what you're trying to do.
It only takes 1-2 each year to do that.

Absolutely spot on. The hysteric by the media is hilarious. Whether they are 32 or 18, they need to earn their sport regardless.

My only one hope is we do build around Nick going forward, as someone pointed out, whilst we have him. We have the most important part on our list, genuine generation star. Good luck to tigers finding that.

Hi everyone, there was a video on the afl sites by barrett . What's to old for Collingwood?
How do proceed in lowering our age profile? I guess more importantly replacing our retired players in the next 5 years without falling of the cliff dramatically?
Maybe even rebuilding our team, but not being too long outside the 8 ie 2 or 3 years?
Can we really follow the Geelong model and just continue to top up? considering we could loose 5 or 6 key players to retirement in the next 2 years?
Your thoughts guys?
Or pick 8 kids and not worry about the draft in the next 2 year and just bring in free agent

As Leigh Matthews said (roughly) about dynasties, they are best judged in hindsight.... I feel a bit the same about this draft being tagged as a generational superdraft. There are no guarantees. I mean, now that we have players such us Daicos, Sheezel, JHF and Reid hitting the ground running, it has created a bit if a false economy IMO.

People talk as if there will be 10 players of this ilk through this draft. It seems pretty unlikely to me, so I think Richmond have been bold but it's also possible that they have been reckless. I mean, they have traded out arguably their best 3 players as well as losing a stack of experience to retirement in recent years. They run the risk of being stuck at the bottom for a bloody long time. I guess with 3 flags in 4 years, the supporters will have plenty of patience.

The factor we will lose most of over the next few years is football nous. All our older players are have an abundance of this; Pendles, Sidey, Howe, WHE, Elliott, Mitchell, Mihocek. We are blessed to have some very smart young//mature pairings at present; Pendles/Nick, Sidey/Josh, Elliott/Hill along with smart and creative utilities in Howe/WHE. I reckon you need these types on every line which we currently have.

Houston, Perryman, Membrey are smart footballers so good acquisitions I reckon. Going forward if we manage to recruit players/draftees with above average footy nous along with those who offer good general and specific skills (role players if you like) we will be fine.

Your thoughts guys?
Yeah if I was them. I'd use 6, try to turn 2 into future firsts to start trading players in next year - they'll still have few years of top draft picks if they want or can just make this their draft year for the decade if they get a few hits and trade like buggery for the next decade.

Remove this Banner Ad

COLLINGWOOD. NEXT 5 YEARS?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back