COLLINGWOOD. NEXT 5 YEARS?

Remove this Banner Ad

You keep posting the same “cliff” stuff. We’ve just added perryman, Houston. Are likely to add membrey for free who’s bloody underrated IMO. Condon could potentially be playing vfl by June. McGuane next year. There’s plenty of turn over. And we aren’t replacing pendles or sidey at their best… calling them AA is delusional. Port however are required to replace an AA player, who we’ve just got

I do keep positing it. Because the question was asked about next 5 years. What's more, both Bucks and Cornes have mentioned it. Cornes I take less seriously. Bucks though....

Last edited:
I think the captaincy of Collingwood will be annouced at the 2025 season launch and its Darcy Moore to hand the batton to Nick Daicos be like the hand over around the xmas break.
Moore will be vice captain tho.
But its Nick as Pies captain.

I think the captaincy of Collingwood will be annouced at the 2025 season launch and its Darcy Moore to hand the batton to Nick Daicos be like the hand over around the xmas break.
Moore will be vice captain tho.
But its Nick as Pies captain.
A few years to go yet before Nick is Captain.

Elliott was never, and Howe was borderline at best. None have been for years.

I said AA quality. Had a few things luck-wise been different, Howe and Elliot were good enough to make the AA team. Injuries got Elliot, the imbecilic emphasis on midfielders counted against him and Howe. i'm not a formalist here, so my point, as my words indicated, was that at their best they were AA quality. The other four "replacements" are unlikely to reach those levels. that seems pretty uncontroversial to me.

I said AA quality. Had a few things luck-wise been different, Howe and Elliot were good enough to make the AA team. Injuries got Elliot, the imbecilic emphasis on midfielders counted against him and Howe. i'm not a formalist here, so my point, as my words indicated, was that at their best they were AA quality. The other four "replacements" are unlikely to reach those levels. that seems pretty uncontroversial to me.
The point is that even in 2023, when we won the premiership, none of those four guys were playing at an All-Australian level. We don't need to replicate them at their best to be a good side, just them at the level they were at last year.

They had in the past, but we don't need to replace Pendlebury's output from 2011, we have to replace his output from, at best, last year. And while he was still a fine player, he was not at an AA level in 2023, so it's unreasonable to form a negative outlook based on the fact that the replacement for Pendlebury won't be as good as Pendlebury in his prime.

The players we get can be at least as good as the old and below their best versions of those 4 players - That's not completely fanciful.

The point is that even in 2023, when we won the premiership, none of those four guys were playing at an All-Australian level. We don't need to replicate them at their best to be a good side, just them at the level they were at last year.

They had in the past, but we don't need to replace Pendlebury's output from 2011, we have to replace his output from, at best, last year. And while he was still a fine player, he was not at an AA level in 2023, so it's unreasonable to form a negative outlook based on the fact that the replacement for Pendlebury won't be as good as Pendlebury in his prime.

The players we get can be at least as good as the old and below their best versions of those 4 players - That's not completely fanciful.

I notice you don't focus on the post that reads: "None of those 5 listed have been All-Australian quality for years, if ever"

But to the point at hand. You're right, we don't need to replace those players with All-Australians. We simply need to build a premiership team. If you don't have concerns about 2026 and after that's fine. Plenty do, including Buckley, and about half the other commentators. I think we'll contend next year, but then we'll be overtaken by Gold Coast and likely several others.

I think the Geelong example is the exception. The Hawthorn/Richmond example more likely. None of us know for sure. We're all making calculated guesses. So we may end up like Geelong... we may. On the other hand, to not take the Richmond example seriously is, as I said, DELUSIONAL. If people can't accept it's a chance -- however small in their estimation -- they are suffering from fantastical thinking.

You keep posting the same “cliff” stuff. We’ve just added perryman, Houston. Are likely to add membrey for free who’s bloody underrated IMO. Condon could potentially be playing vfl by June. McGuane next year. There’s plenty of turn over. And we aren’t replacing pendles or sidey at their best… calling them AA is delusional. Port however are required to replace an AA player, who we’ve just got

Plus, even if they're right. What was the alternative? Keep our first and take some mediocre second round picks to the draft? How the hell would that stop a 2026 cliff caused by impending retirments that they're predicting? Houston, Perryman and whoever we add next year on the other hand are a bloody good chance of stopping it. Wiithout mentioning that we've just significantly increased our chances of winning the flag.

Last edited:
I notice you don't focus on the post that reads: "None of those 5 listed have been All-Australian quality for years, if ever"

But to the point at hand. You're right, we don't need to replace those players with All-Australians. We simply need to build a premiership team. If you don't have concerns about 2026 and after that's fine. Plenty do, including Buckley, and about half the other commentators. I think we'll contend next year, but then we'll be overtaken by Gold Coast and likely several others.

I think the Geelong example is the exception. The Hawthorn/Richmond example more likely. None of us know for sure. We're all making calculated guesses. So we may end up like Geelong... we may. On the other hand, to not take the Richmond example seriously is, as I said, DELUSIONAL. If people can't accept it's a chance -- however small in their estimation -- they are suffering from fantastical thinking.
What would you have done that would have given us a better chance of staying up?

Of course a Richmond style drop is a possibility - for every team in contention (although the academy teams are somewhat future proofed in terms of talent), but if you don't think that a Richmond like drop is a possibility and actually more likely with a draft strategy, then you're the delusional one. A draft strategy would have given us way less chance of success over the next two years and made it much more likely that we'd plummet with our impending retirements.

Last edited:
If we traded out Noble, Richards and not traded in Houston, Perryman and Membrey then at best we would have had picks 13, 27, 36, 39 and 52. We would have also lost out F1st as well.

No way those 5 picks would be better than Houston, Perryman, Noble, Membrey and Richards in the short term (2025-2027). And long term the chances are also slim unless we are talking 2030+.

Draft picks dont stop us from having a Richmond like drop away that they had this year. They take years to develop and they are speculative at best. Even the addition of Houston, Perryman and Membrey may not stop it either but that guaranteed talent will at least delay it and give us another shot at the flag. If our injuries are good in 2025.

On a side note all clubs bottom out at some stage and we will as well. But the thing is well run clubs like us don't bottom out for long. While poorly run clubs like Carlton spend years winning spoons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

COLLINGWOOD. NEXT 5 YEARS?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back