List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2022-->

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key dates attached so we know what’s going on when.

• Friday 30 September at 9.00am
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency and Unrestricted Free Agency Period commences
Monday 03 October at 9.00am
  • AFL Trade Period commences – Players & Selections
Friday 07 October at 5.00pm
  • Close of AFL Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period.
Monday 10 October
  • AFL Draft Nominations open (9am)
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency Matching Offer 3 Day Period Ends (5pm)
Wednesday 12 October at 7.30pm
  • AFL Trade Period closes – players and selections
Thursday 03 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) commences
Wednesday 09 November at 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) closes
Friday 11 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) commences
Tuesday 15 November by 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) closes
  • AFL Trade Period closes – selections only
Monday 21 November by 3.00pm
  • AFL Draft Nominations close
Monday 28 November at 7.10pm
  • 2022 AFL Draft Round One (Venue TBC)
  • Father/Son, Academy & NGA and Players Bidding opens.
Tuesday 29 November
  • AFL Trade Period – selections only (5.45pm to 6.30pm)
  • 2022 AFL National Draft Round two until completion (7pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period opens (10pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) commences (10pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period closes (11pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) closes (11pm)
Wednesday 30 November
  • AFL Pre-Season Draft (3pm, online)
  • AFL Rookie Draft (3.20pm, online)
Thursday 01 December by 4.00pm
  • Final AFL Club List Lodgement

Not to sound crazy - Tom Mitchell is exactly the midfielder we need. He will star at Collingwood next year and is a genuine Brownlow threat.

Nah sorry plays for Collingwood now won't happen

Hey guys,

Said this in response to a Pies poster on our board who came across with an olive branch, and I'm posting it here in the interest of mending fences as well, as I actually really liked Collingwood this year...and this whole Henry thing came out of nowhere - which turned BF and the wider social discussion into an ugly sh*t fight on both sides.

"I'm actually genuinely happy with this outcome. Eliminates some of the bad blood between clubs (will take a while for it to go away, but the deal was fair for all). We were happy with 25 and 33, and essentially in the end that's what we gave up - if you value Cooper at that pick, which is good all round. Meant you kept 25 and 27 and got Mitchell. Hawthorn got a young talent, and we ended up with Henry without all the nonsense of the draft.

All's well that ends well"

I'm not someone who's said 'Pick 25 hahaha' all along. I actually went on trade radio and said to Rendell that I think it should be Pick 18, and was surprised at how it all played out. In the end, I thought 25 and 33 (Sav) or 25 and a Future 2nd might get it done, and that you'd send one of those picks for Mitchell. In the end, that's pretty much how it worked out - but with Cooper leaving instead of Sav, given our depth in the mids but not down back.

It's been an exhausting trade period, with a lot of chinese whispers and not much fact at all. Both clubs valued Ollie differently in terms of where their list is at, but both clubs did what was right by them - and I actually think we can all say that we got a decent end, but not a perfect one for either side...which is generally when you know a trade is pretty fair all around.

Like last time, I won't outstay my welcome as I'm just passing this on...but hopefully we move on and have a fierce match next year.

Good luck in 2023,

Shadow

They were asking for our 27 originally. Looking to offload him to the point of willing to pay his salary...sound familiar? Cough Grundy.
The general consensus by those removed from Collingwood and Hawthorn bias was that Mitchell was worth pick 27. So no, giving up 41 and 50 is not the same. We did well out of this.

Best 22 round one 2023

B: Quaynor Frampton Pendlebury
HB: Naicos Moore Maynard
C: Jaicos Mitchell Sidebottom
HF: Elliott McStay Hill
F: Ginnivan Mihocek McCreery
Followers: Cox DeGoey Crisp
I/C: Howe, Johnson, Lipinski, WHE
Med Sub: Noble

Depth... Adams, Murphy, Kreuger, Bianco, Cameron

Last edited:
Speculative. Unless he can improve upon his weaknesses, which he hasn’t in his two years at Collingwood, he’s got just as much chance of being another Daniel Menzel (after knees). A super goal threat, but with no defensive pressure who lets the ball waltz out of the forward line ad nauseum.
Yeah he still has some weaknesses. But the kid is only 19yo and his best shows signs of brilliance. As a young forward, I expect him to continue developing and become a really top player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Overall, this ended up being a really acceptable deal. Pick 25 and Mitchell for Ollie and a couple of picks we weren’t going to use anyway is a good deal. It means we got to retain pick 27, which we can potentially trade in to next years draft, and the Hawks are happy because they got their man.

The best part of all of this however, is the fact that Geelong ended up having to give away their contracted, former pick 16 developing midfielder, in addition to 25 to secure Henry. It would have been cheaper for them to just give their future first, but instead they decided to be dicks about the whole thing and they’ve received the karma they deserve. Absolutely delightful.
There will be more karma down the track too.

Based on draft points, pick 6 is 1751 points compared to 1,823 points for 16 and 25.

Can Hawthorn be persuaded to part with pick 6?
I like where you are coming from but unfortunately hawthorn have no need for draft points, so the fact that our picks have more "points" is irrelevant, especially considering hawthorn are going full rebuild mode and would prefer to add a pick in the top 12 or so then remove one

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best 22 round one 2023

B: Quaynor Frampton Noble
Med Sub: Adams

Sorry... Murphy, Kreuger, Bianco, Cameron
FB – Howe / Frampton / Maynard
HB – N Daicos / Moore / Quaynor
C – Sidey / Adams / J Daicos
HF – Checkers / Kreuger / De Goey

FF – Elliott / McStay / Johnson
R – Cameron / Tom Mitchell / Crisp
IC – Ginnivan / Pendles / Lipinski / Hill

Depth – Murphy, Hoskin-Elliott, Cox, Carmichael, Dean, Bianco, Ruscoe, Noble, McCreery

Best 22 round one 2023

Wtf is with Murphy getting shit on here

I'm happy about things and unhappy about others. If you read my posts more you'd see that.

We overall improved our best 22 and list so good.

We did not however do well at the trade table imo, and the pushover tag will remain and there for continue to impact future deals.
No way do we keep the push over tag. In the end, by holding our ground, we made Geelong trade out Stevens to get Ollie for 25. We could have just caved at 25 and Geelong would still have Stevens and we wouldn't have 27. It was a master stroke.

Best 22 round one 2023

Wash your mouth out. Forgetting probably the greatest Pies man (+/- the great #5) of the last 25 years, our (C)

I'm pretty happy overall, though there are some posters that think we didn't do well, but I would say, giving away 2 first round picks for an aging Beams was unbelievably bad. I used to have nightmares about it.
Now not anymore, thanks to McRae those nightmares have ceased, cause he has taught me to not live in the past, and now I'm looking forward to a great future for Collingwood.

Last edited:
Ollie Henry realistically cost Geelong pick 25, 38, 48, 55, future 2nd and 3rd as well as Cooper Stephens (pick 16).

No, you’re effectively double-counting pick 25.

But despite that, yes, they paid a hell of a lot for him. Ratchets up the pressure on him to perform.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back