List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can’t imagine Naughton would come this year, or else Johnson would have been let go of. Have we seen a quality forward make the move to defence in their prime? I don’t think he comes here to play back line.
Don't see where Johnson would need to have been let go if we were to ago after Naughton.
If we get Naughton, that's where McStay goes back, Murphy shifts to Howe's position. Howe put to pastures....
Forward talls Naughton, Checkers, Johnson.

So in the above hypothetical you don’t put any thought into where on the field you’re investing your big money?

Content to agree to disagree if so.
The priority is to build a squad to win a flag - which line the money goes to is irrelevant.
Per my example of ND and JDG, it’s dumb to not move them positionally because a line cap will be busted.

In your earlier example - if your cap is heavily weighted to the fwd line with A graders, making you flag favourites, isn’t the overspend irrelevant, given winning flags is the goal?

Last edited:
The priority is to build a squad to win a flag - which line the money goes to is irrelevant.
Per my example of ND and JDG, it’s dumb to not move them positionally because a line cap will be busted.
My contention is you get to that flag by thinking about resource allocation on the field, and being strategic and aware about where you put your $. If you don’t, you’ll end up with an unbalanced list and wont win a flag.

My contention is you get to that flag by thinking about resource allocation on the field, and being strategic and aware about where you put your $. If you don’t, you’ll end up with an unbalanced list and wont win a flag.
Except I’ve given you examples of why that’s folly.

E.G Are we really walking away from Naughton as say, a Howe replacement because the backline cap will be busted, given Moore’s existing huge contract?

Don't see where Johnson would need to have been let go if we were to ago after Naughton.
If we get Naughton, that's where McStay goes back, Murphy shifts to Howe's position. Howe put to pastures....
Forward talls Naughton, Checkers, Johnson.
McStay just isn't a defender. He's slow and can't jump high. I'd say Mihocek becomes third tall/high half-forward, McStay stays in his current role and Naughton plays centre half-forward.

Except I’ve given you examples of why that’s folly.

E.G Are we really walking away from Naughton as say, a Howe replacement because the backline cap will be busted, given Moore’s existing huge contract?
No I’m playing him forward.

Anyway, we’re just going around in circles and possibly starting to stink up the thread.

Shall leave you to it amigo :)

The idea that we couldn’t pick up an elite 24 year old key forward, just because we picked up a middle of the road role playing key forward, is completely baffling to me. Especially given that Mihocek and Cox are both over 30 now.
Wow he’s not even 24. I thought he was late 20’s.

The main point is that some of our key players are the wrong side of 30.
Mihocek will be 31 before next season and gets banged up due to the way he plays.
Howe is 33.
And obviously Pendles and Sidey.
Mitchell is a short term fix and Adams will be 30 in September.
So finding replacements before we fall off a cliff is vital.
If we can get Naughton as Checkers gets towards the end, that would be a great outcome, as just one example.

Moore is on 800k or less? The article said he signed a 6 year deal worth over 5 million.
Terribly sorry, Moore is on slightly over $800k. Anything for that little win eh Kap?
If we can sign Naughton without losing anyone, and still have to contribute to Grundy/Stephenson's wages, that'd be one of the biggest coups in AFL history, along with Geelong getting Cameron.
We literally have never contributed a cent to Stephensons wage. I think you’re seriously overestimating how much money we have tied up, particularly with a few of our higher paid players nearing the ends of their careers.

Moore is on 800k or less? The article said he signed a 6 year deal worth over 5 million.

If we can sign Naughton without losing anyone, and still have to contribute to Grundy/Stephenson's wages, that'd be one of the biggest coups in AFL history, along with Geelong getting Cameron.
North have always paid the entirety of Stephenson's salary. It's Grundy and Treloar we're paying, and previously the first year of Phillips at the Hawks.

Wow he’s not even 24. I thought he was late 20’s.
He was drafted the same year as Stephenson, one before IQ. He just has the face of a 30 year old.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Terribly sorry, Moore is on slightly over $800k. Anything for that little win eh Kap?

We literally have never contributed a cent to Stephensons wage. I think you’re seriously overestimating how much money we have tied up, particularly with a few of our higher paid players nearing the ends of their careers.

Where are you getting Moore's wage from? Are you just guessing? Apex you are the king of little wins so don't even start.

I’d suggest it is about that if you believe Moore and IQ are enough because my scenario meant there was no Howe. The reason Frampton was recruited to the club was on the back of his intercept marking. Ditto Dean. The 1st Rd KPD’s of the past few drafts Busslinger, DGB and Gibcus are all intercept tall defenders.

Melbourne’s issues until the past fortnight have been their inability to move the ball or as I like to call it the Buckley’s. You get so hyper focused on defence and contest that you can’t move the ball quick enough to score. In terms of their list structure my take is their error was in bringing in Grundy not what they’re doing down back.

I’d argue the way we play two high end KPD’s is much more valuable than one at either end. When we win contest we overwhelm with speed at ground level and set the field up to not allow easy exits. A high end KPF doesn’t help there. The flip side is that when we lose the contest and territory battle we rely on our intercept game to win it back. A high end KPF might help there, but only in transition and I don’t think we’re improving on the back of a better transition game?

Another way to put it is if we had King or Naughton over McStay would there have been a material impact on the result v Port? IMO, if you’ve got Naughton down there to chop out Moore there would have been.
You got a good chuckle from me Sco.

Where are you getting Moore's wage from? Are you just guessing? Apex you are the king of little wins so don't even start.
Where are you getting it from? An article that says it’s “reportedly” x amount of $$? Don’t pretend you have any more idea than the rest of us.

Would love him
However, is he more of need than a young elite mid to support Nick?
What would that mean for McStay (and for Collingwood on the hook for another 4 years?) can he be support? Could he play another role?
What would a fair trade look like?

I don’t know about the above, just posing questions/ thoughts
I think we'll bring 2 in, through the trade, a young mid and a def, Naughton can play in def until Checkers retires and Fly corrects his kicking before he goes back to the fwd line, if he does go back to being a fwd. If Naughton doesn't come in then it's not a problem I guess.
Not sure on a fair trade as we probably couldn't do it this year without some shuffling, next year maybe, he'll be cheaper then.

Retrospect is a wonderful thing. I don't recall anybody complaining in 2018 and the start of 2019

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I still maintain Stevo was the better option as a player. Fitted our then team perfectly and a big reason we made the 2018 GF. Would fit our current team even better. His pace, mobility and marking ability are lethal at their best. Unfortunately it turned out he wasn't quite mentally prepared for life as a professional footballer.

I don't see any chance of us signing Naughton btw. Certainly not this year. Would cost a minimum of two first rounders and a Quaynor level player, likely more given he's contracted. Don't think he's worth that to us.

I don't see any chance of us signing Naughton btw. Certainly not this year. Would cost a minimum of two first rounders and a Quaynor level player, likely more given he's contracted. Don't think he's worth that to us.
Two firsts and steak knives would be likely, probably a Macrae type. No team is giving away two firsts and a borderline AA 40 player in a trade, that’s insanity.

2 first rounders and an AA level HB? 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back