List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t like it personally. We need to keep open a career path for Begg and Steene
I'm not sure it shuts down a career path for Steene. Learning a bit about conditioning and what is required from one of the most long-serving ruckmen ever is a positive, I would think. I think it's helped Xerri at North, for example.

I'm not sure it shuts down a career path for Steene. Learning a bit about conditioning and what is required from one of the most long-serving ruckmen ever is a positive, I would think. I think it's helped Xerri at North, for example.
Agree. Likely to fill a rookie spot on a two year deal. 1 year playing 1 year coaching. Similar to Goldsack at Port a couple of years ago.

Don’t like it personally. We need to keep open a career path for Begg and Steene

They still will as you think Goldy most likely play for a Season or 2 so no need to Rush Steene and Begg

Goldstein to choose between Pies and Bombers
Tough call on this one. I think he's ahead of Cameron and him winning a flag at the Pies would be marvellous. If he were to come, he would be ahead of Begg well and truly so we'd likely cut Aiden given no club needs five rucks on their list.

Tough call on this one. I think he's ahead of Cameron and him winning a flag at the Pies would be marvellous. If he were to come, he would be ahead of Begg well and truly so we'd likely cut Aiden given no club needs five rucks on their list.

No club needs three rucks over 30 including one over 35…. And a single 20 year old….

Bringing in Goldstein just because he may or may not be a slight upgrade on Cameron/Cox and dumping Begg after a few years of development is extremely short sighted and narrow minded. We already have a massive age gap with our rucks…. Why worsen it?

I don’t think that’s the point. He would be able to provide great cover for Cameron & Cox (both of whom have been injured at times), and can teach our youth a lot about getting a long career out of a big body

Give him an off field role then. That’s a very poor rationale to recruit a player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No club needs three rucks over 30 including one over 35…. And a single 20 year old….

Bringing in Goldstein just because he may or may not be a slight upgrade on Cameron/Cox and dumping Begg after a few years of development is extremely short sighted and narrow minded. We already have a massive age gap with our rucks…. Why worsen it?
I'm not confident that we retain Begg regardless, but agree that Goldstein wouldn't be a smart move considering where our ruck position is at. I'm hoping that our interest is for a role in the VFL.

I'm not confident that we retain Begg regardless, but agree that Goldstein wouldn't be a smart move considering where our ruck position is at. I'm hoping that our interest is for a role in the VFL.

Yep. If Begg is to be turned over (which I think would be a mistake), then ideally whoever we recruit in to replace him is under 24.

Isn’t it the same thing we did with Ben Hudson (to positive effect)?

I think Goldstein could also push Cameron/Cox out in patches of poor form.

List in 2013 is nothing like what it is now. In fact the ruck situation was the complete opposite

We had 19 year olds like Wiits and Grundy on our list and the experience pair were Jolly in his final season with a chronic knee injury.., and Q Lynch………Hudson was the ideal cheap cover.

Maybe he's coming in with an eye to help develop Steene and Begg. Maybe a playing/ruck coaching role in the offering as well.
My question is, would Darcy Cameron be an absolute certainty to be on our list next year, or would he be the trade bait to get us something else we need?
If he's a premiership player, his stocks rise. We are known to think outside the box in relation to our trading.
I love Cameron and wouldn't want to see him go, but maybe something is in the think machine!!!!

List in 2013 is nothing like what it is now. In fact the ruck situation was the complete opposite

We had 19 year olds like Wiits and Grundy on our list and the experience pair were Jolly in his final season with a chronic knee injury.., and Q Lynch………Hudson was the ideal cheap cover.
It is different - Goldstein is much better than Hudson was when he joined us. But having someone to both tutor the young guys whilst being a legitimate option to push our veteran rucks is fine by me.

Begg won't be an AFL ruckman. Goldy comes in, works with Steene, teaches him ruck craft. He probably challenges Cameron. Maybe is part of that premiership he deserves. Doubt it would happen at Essendon.

I can't see any scenario where we want to recruit Goldstein as a player. He has been an outstanding ruckman, but is only good now. We don't have a heap of list spots to waste one on a player we don't need. We have Josh Fraser as ruck coach. Is he to be replaced?

Would love Goldy, you can realistically argue he would have been our #1 ruck if we had him this season. More pressure on Cameron and Cox is never a bad thing. And look, we are about to lose Pendles, Sidey, Howe, Mitchell, Adams, Elliot … We should be grabbing as many flag chasers as possible for a couple last rolls of the dice.

I can't see any scenario where we want to recruit Goldstein as a player. He has been an outstanding ruckman, but is only good now. We don't have a heap of list spots to waste one on a player we don't need. We have Josh Fraser as ruck coach. Is he to be replaced?
Yeah I don't get it. I just think/hope that we're interested for VFL. It wouldn't be the first time that the media mistook VFL interest for AFL interest.

Shaun Mannagh.

One to consider.

6 goals, 28 disposals for Werribee. He is 26 but given we're in the window, we need now talent. Bolsters our forward line. Ready made. Ready to be a superstar.
Played great but he's slow by VFL standards and it isn't any slower the next level up. His lack of pace means it's a no, not a hard no but a no none the less.

Begg won't be an AFL ruckman. Goldy comes in, works with Steene, teaches him ruck craft. He probably challenges Cameron. Maybe is part of that premiership he deserves. Doubt it would happen at Essendon.

I don’t give a rats cracker what Goldstein deserves. It’s what Collingwood needs is my concern and next year with a 29 year old and 33 year old ruck combo, the last thing we need is a 36 year old.

If he wants to come and join us as a vfl listed assistant coach, maybe.

If we need to turn over Begg then we find another young prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back