List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would we consider trading our future 1st for another pick this year?
Depending on what hand we go in on draft night, I’d consider doing a live trade if there was a slider that suits us.

if that means we end up with 3 or 4 first round picks in this draft that locks in 2-3 KPP’s and either a speedy and creative mid/clearance mid then I think that might be a good outcome.
Could be dreaming though

F/A and the recycling bin is probably the way to build a list. Like Lipinski was cheap for his services. He's a regular now. Kreuger would have been, too.

So 2x more of them and we'll have a much better list.

F/A and the recycling bin is probably the way to build a list. Like Lipinski was cheap for his services. He's a regular now. Kreuger would have been, too.

I don’t mind the idea of the recycling bin. But as a collective we’ve got to temper our expectations on the kind of players we are getting. Most of them will probably be fringe best 22 players still.

For example Paddy Dow would be a decent upgrade on several of our midfield rotations ie Brown Brothers. But he’d still be in our bottom 8 players.

Which is fine, as long as they are the right age demographic, and not stifling the development of our draftees.

I don’t mind the idea of the recycling bin. But as a collective we’ve got to temper our expectations on the kind of players we are getting. Most of them will probably be fringe best 22 players still.

For example Paddy Dow would be a decent upgrade on several of our midfield rotations ie Brown Brothers. But he’d still be in our bottom 8 players.

Which is fine, as long as they are the right age demographic, and not stifling the development of our draftees.
No way Paddy Dow would be better than that. He doesn't work at Carlton. But we need him. And actually, Paddy Dow saves a list spot. So it's a good get.

It’s an effective way to improve a list, but you need the acquisitions to be relatively cheap, and they must address a current need (rather than trading assets for mere depth), and the player needs to be put in a position which highlights their strengths and hides their weaknesses.

Lipinski has been successful for us because;
a) he can find the ball on the inside
b) he is an excellent user
c) he has terrific endurance
d) as an inside mid his lack of speed is less of an issue

At the Bulldogs he was not in their best few inside mids, and he didn’t have the speed to be effective spreading on the outside. We aren’t asking him to do that. He can only play inside mid or wing with his skillset, but that’s ok because we needed that.

It’s an effective way to improve a list, but you need the acquisitions to be relatively cheap, and they must address a current need (rather than trading assets for mere depth), and the player needs to be put in a position which highlights their strengths and hides their weaknesses.

Lipinski has been successful for us because;
a) he can find the ball on the inside
b) he is an excellent user
c) he has terrific endurance
d) as an inside mid his lack of speed is less of an issue

At the Bulldogs he was not in their best few inside mids, and he didn’t have the speed to be effective spreading on the outside. We aren’t asking him to do that. He can only play inside mid or wing with his skillset, but that’s ok because we needed that.
Hopefully, we can use ANZAC Day and Big Freeze at the G as bait.

Spot on. Aim the fringe players not getting a game. Dont pay overs for a best 18-22 player

In general though, you’re not going to be able to replace key positions this way. I’d like to think Kreuger was an exception but we don’t know yet and may never know if his shoulder issues linger. Peter Wright was another opportunity due to poor cap management by the Suns, unfortunately as we also mismanaged the cap we couldn’t take advantage.

2nd and 3rd tall defender are probably the areas of greatest importance for us which can perhaps be addressed by this method. I would have said forward pocket until recently, but Ginni and McCreery have this covered for now. Another clearance mid would be great, but unless it’s through the draft now you’re likely to get someone very slow or with very iffy disposal.

Upgrade on Madge, a decent backup ruck perhaps, but after that you’re going to have to expend more assets.

I'd prefer it if he was taller than 193cn. But yeah he'd be handy

Emerson Jeka would be nice. OOC this year.

I don't think it matters. We need a key back and third tall. Highmore can be used in both roles and in a variety of defensive match-ups.

McAsey and Fogarty are both hopeless.

I’ll be really disappointed if we go for very underwhelming players from similarly placed teams.

I’ve been really disappointed with Fogarty and most definitely wouldn’t chase.

I remember seeing McAsey play a couple of games early and look ok but has disappeared completely now so maybe you are right.

I’m bullish on where we are heading for the most part except for key position. I think we need to attack this area, and maybe a clearance mid, aggressively in mid season, trade period and the draft.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we should look to nab a player off Gold Coast like Freo did.

Sam Flanders - Pick 11 from the 2019 Draft.

Sam Flanders had 36 disposals on the weekend. His statsfor the season:

Screenshot_20220509-153811_VFL.jpg

I wonder what happened vs Sydney? Looks like managed minutes or an injury.

Sam Flanders had 36 disposals on the weekend. His statsfor the season:

View attachment 1396264

I wonder what happened vs Sydney? Looks like managed minutes or an injury.
I think he was coming off an injury early in the season, and prob managed minutes.

Would rather get two top ten picks and grab two KPFs in the draft. Let's take the required time to lay the foundations for sustained future success rather than going for the quick fix.

Without knowing too much about next year’s draft I’d be more than happy to trade the future first next year into this year’s first round if we have the capacity to and it doesn’t cost us too much ie we’re giving a pick back or it’s a late first. If we could get something in the top 12 that would be of interest.

Same goes with the third rounders. I’d be keen to use them to get back up the order.

We’ve started the rebuild now with the five earlier picks in 2020 and Daicos this year. Let’s supercharge it if we can get two firsts this year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think we should look to nab a player off Gold Coast like Freo did.

Sam Flanders - Pick 11 from the 2019 Draft.

yeah personally don't know much about Flanders.. but agree with the principle. A couple of Brisbane players I would like to at least look at Deven Robertson and Blake Coleman. They could be on the lookout for more opportunities if they don't force their way into the best 22 at the Lions this season.

yeah personally don't know much about Flanders.. but agree with the principle. A couple of Brisbane players I would like to at least look at Deven Robertson and Blake Coleman. They could be on the lookout for more opportunities if they don't force their way into the best 22 at the Lions this season.
Is Blake the one we bid on during the 2020 draft?

Is Blake the one we bid on during the 2020 draft?

yeah that's him. The younger brother of Keidean and looks a real talent. The Lions have a pretty stacked squad at the moment, so they are one team to target as they must have a bulging salary cap. Against that they seem to have a real unity about them and should be in the flag mix for the next few years, so there is a big incentive to stay. Not to mention Blake's brother is at the club.

From watching him in the VFL when he was with us… you could see he was going to become a mountain of a man and a dominant ruck

But alas, with Grundy locked in for so long… and Cameron a capable understudy

young rucks like moyle would only leave us for more opportunity elsewhere

But he’ll never get a go under Witts either so he should end up back in Melbourne eventually

Can you imagine the melts if we’d selected Ned Moyle ahead of Johnson in the MSD?

Blake Coleman would be a better pick up than Bobby Hill. Obviously it would be tough to pry him from the side his brother plays for, but Cameron, Bailey, McCarthy and Rayner plus the three tall forwards (once Hipwood returns) will make it very, very tough for him to get a regular gig.

Paddy Dow is a potato, but I thought Ben Keays was a potato once too. Could a fresh start be what he needs to reinvigorate his career? He's not getting back into that Carlton midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back