List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

When was the request put in?

Maybe Chris Davies was wearing his Collingwood hat when talking about depth lol - Based on what I saw in the finals, Richards will walk straight into that team. Their forward line was trash.

If you had asked me 12 months ago, I would not have cared. In fact I would have been surprised.

But kudos for Richards for putting himself in a position that he is desired by other clubs. Good luck to the kid. Now Leppa get us something good in return.
He just said this weekend, obviously after the BNF but yeah I dunno, it's strange.

He has speed and bit of class but, drifts to far out of games.

Didn't he also say he wanted to play for a big club? Or did I imagine that? Hard to keep up with what's fact or fiction on here.

But that would also rule North out.

That was Petracca, allegedly.

Houston is thought to want to play for a team in flag contention I believe. Which means Carlton are out?

May as well start the welcome thread now.

He just said this weekend, obviously after the BNF but yeah I dunno, it's strange.

He has speed and bit of class but, drifts to far out of games.

So the negotiations are on -

Fly says look forward to watching you for years to come and here is best first year award (whatever it's called).

On the Flipside Davies says Richards will be a depth player (but here a good contract).

The truth is maybe somewhere in the middle?

Why does he want out?
3 year offer by Pies / stay in Vic

Does it come down to he believes he will get much more opportunity at Power?
Could be opportunity, could be $, or a combination of the two.

I'm choosing to believe that the Pies have said "all the best son" as the Houston deal is going to get done.

Fly says look forward to watching you for years to come and here is best first year award (whatever it's called).

On the Flipside Davies says Richards will be a depth player (but here a good contract).

Davies didn't say he would be a depth player - he said something along the lines of we're looking to add to our depth in the position - which he'd say if they were chasing Charlie Cameron.

Bringing in Parker, Perryman and Houston? What if Smit was rated top 20 on our draft board for end of year?

I don’t think it’s hard to imagine a scenario where Parker is highly rated internally based on playing senior footy within 8 weeks of commencing in our program. Houston and Perryman will both be on 5+ year contracts starting 2025 if they join us. Smit is of course speculative, but his early showings far exceed any 18yo tall we’ve drafted in an open draft since Grundy, IMO. That mix of athleticism and competitiveness is exciting.

The guts of my point is that the club has done plenty to deserve faith from us and none of the moves we appear to be making are short term.

If we learnt anything from 2024 it’s that players ranked 26ish to 38ish aren’t great.

We can carry a few handy role players on our list (Frampton, Markov), but when we also need to rely on players like Bytel, Sullivan, Long, and Krueger - we pass a critical mass.

And we’re likely going to need to rely on those lower ranked players going forward given our age profile.

Just got a message from a friend close to Richards.. The trade request has been put in.

Chris Davies speaking on Radio the other day, pretty much labeled him as depth.. with SPP coming back too.. I don't think it's smart by Richards, but enjoy Joey.
Felt like it was coming when we got this close to trade period and he hasnt signed.
And after the bnf, beau shared a pic of richards and his partner on his insta story, which I felt was weird.

Not sure if enough attention on here has been drawn to the fact that we can afford Houston contractually. Not to say we get him but... what a contrast to a few years ago.
Positives:

Big increase to the cap.
Losing Noble 400k.
Murphy 450K
Adams last year 500k
Alot of our older players have signed 1 year contracts for less. Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Howe, Cox and Mitchell (1 left).
We will free up the Treloar money after this year (Would help with rear-ending contracts)

Negatives

850 added for Perryman.
A similar amount for Houston.
Still paying treloar 2025 and Grundy to 2027.

Davies didn't say he would be a depth player - he said something along the lines of we're looking to add to our depth in the position - which he'd say if they were chasing Charlie Cameron.

Ah ok that makes more sense. And I agree with him they do need more depth in that position.

How do port get draft currency for both Lukocious and Richards, unless lukosius is purely a salary dump. Even then, do we take pick 39 for Richards? Much prefer to keep him. Maybe another player involved - I have no idea about lord, no idea what he even looks like. Only what I have read on Bigfooty. His stats look awful, but stats can be misleading.

Positives:

Big increase to the cap.
Losing Noble 400k.
Murphy 450K
Adams last year 500k
Alot of our older players have signed 1 year contracts for less. Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Howe, Cox and Mitchell (1 left).
We will free up the Treloar money after this year (Would help with rear-ending contracts)

Negatives

850 added for Perryman.
Rear-ending contracts? Sounds painful.
😥
It hurts less if they were back-ended 😊

If we learnt anything from 2024 it’s that players ranked 26ish to 38ish aren’t great.

We can carry a few handy role players on our list (Frampton, Markov), but when we also need to rely on players like Bytel, Sullivan, Long, and Krueger - we pass a critical mass.

And we’re likely going to need to rely on those lower ranked players going forward given our age profile.
The recruitment of Perryman and Houston offsets the loss of Noble so we’re deeper in 2025 before we factor in fitness and an extended break. The beauty of those zero cost players is that we can cut them all right now and go again next year to find better options. Your view is nothing new on here and the club continues to evolve in defiance of the system so my question for you is why is now any different?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positives:

Big increase to the cap.
Losing Noble 400k.
Murphy 450K
Adams last year 500k

Negatives

850 added for Perryman.
Positives:
For the next two years we pay Perryman 850 minus Noble’s 400k.

Not sure what Davies exact words were but you don’t offer a 3-4 year contract to any player you regard as depth, so at best that’s a bluff from him.

The whole Richmond example and premise is wrong. Richmond didn't plummet because they traded for Hopper and Tarranto. They'd most likely be a worse team currently if they had have taken those picks to the draft and didn't have those players on their list.

He's also wrong because we're replacing them quicker than we're losing them. And if we do get Houston, we're not just replacing them, we're upgrading them. And frankly Houston, Schultz and Perryman are much more likely to keep us from plummeting than our first round picks - Allan and HDM.

Let’s see.

Richmond went from Premiers in 2020 to Wooden Spooners in 2024.

We won the Premiership in 2023, so let’s see where we’re at in the 2027 season.

How do port get draft currency for both Lukocious and Richards, unless lukosius is purely a salary dump. Even then, do we take pick 39 for Richards? Much prefer to keep him. Maybe another player involved - I have no idea about lord, no idea what he even looks like. Only what I have read on Bigfooty. His stats look awful, but stats can be misleading.
There is talk maybe a future pick for Luko especially given suns will need points. but we'll see.
Lets say, F2 for Luko, they possibly hand that to us for points next year.

Just got a message from a friend close to Richards.. The trade request has been put in.

Chris Davies speaking on Radio the other day, pretty much labeled him as depth.. with SPP coming back too.. I don't think it's smart by Richards, but enjoy Joey.

Whilst somewhat disappointing, if this is a small element that helps unlock a trade for Houston, then go well Joey!

Are you talking about Loquatious?

Do we know what we will need for McGuane?
Changes coming for F/S picks. Not sure when, but I don’t think the points system will be retained in its entirety.
Changes for 2025 have been announced. Reduced discount, 20% down to 10%. Reduced points for draft picks and the number of picks that have points attached.

Yep, so if a bid on McGuane came at pick 10, for example, then we'd need the equivalent of say picks 23 & 28.

Pick 10 = 1,276 points, less 10% = 1,149 points

Pick 23 & 28 = 653 + 505 points = 1,158 points

Note that under the current system picks 23 and 48 would be enough to match a bid at pick 10, so it's quite a big shift.

Some points for those concerned by our list management (this includes me, but there is always something to worry about):
  • We had the same concerns before 2023 - the oracle Kane was vocal about it then too. Why would we bring in Mitchell at 30+? Or dud Frampton? Over pay for McStay? Did we give up too much for Hill?
  • The moves we have made, and are trying to make, are medium term not short. Schultz was 24-25, Perryman is 25-26, Houston is 27
  • These players will help bridge our list refresh, immediately replacing much of our retiring runners, increasing the chance of us staying competitive
  • Houston is a star player and would make a real difference
  • 2024 however disappointing was a "nearly" year. We were not far away. It's realistic to think adding quality players ready to impact could result in a 2025 flag
  • We have so far given up one first and propose to give up one more if Houston becomes a reality. Hardly a swathe of firsts
  • McGuane is on the way and possibly Condon (Parker already here). The club would have an idea of the prospects of these "alternative" signings and whether they ameliorate some of our pick losses
  • For those really against it, we don't have Houston yet. We may end up with draft picks instead!
This is not to prevent anyone from voicing concerns. I have posted them myself. I'd just ask everyone to also think about how different approaches can also work. Our current approach, making medium term moves to immediately replace retirees and compete for a flag now, is valid. We will also need to add young players and do have some coming in or already in place.

Unlike Kane we don't have perfect foresight and can only read the tea leaves as best we can. Whether I see the future as positive or negative I'm always prepared to be wrong and to consider how it could work out differently. Confidently predicting uncertain outcomes with partial information is best left to the paid pundits, at least they get something for it.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back