List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think that is true of every player. Ie Howe, Crisp etc

But I would agree as a team the uber defensive plan sucked the life out of everyone team included. It did lay the foundations for the Fly Reno though so...
We had most of the layers down. Fly added the last few and got us to a Flag last year 👍

If Houston wants to play for the filth then we should just pull the pin and go to the draft.
Yesterday he wanted to play for the Pies, today it’s the Blues. No one knows, but of course he’d enjoy playing for the club he grew up supporting. Thats no shock.

He’s happy to go to either club as long as Port get the best outcome. We have everything it takes for the deal to get done so unless Carlton decide to give up pick 12 then I think he’s just about a lock to us.

Err, what laid the foundation for Fly was Nick Daicos, something Buckley never had access to.

Do you believe Buckley was set to release the offensive side fly brang out?

If you listen to Bucks comments in the media he is often at pains to state that our offensive play was off the back of our defensive structures.
I think losing 2018 where there was some loose defensive efforts changed the way he viewed it.

But agree that Nick changed the team dynamics.

If we make the trade with GCS, using pick 13 in the draft is highly unlikely to result in a significant shift to us having the best sub 21 team. Using that pick to get Houston adds a weapon to a list that was unbeaten this year in games against the: Lions, Power, Cartlol and ran the Swans to a kick.

It's too hard to build a squad that is in contention, let's not be overly distracted by strategic list objectives (I suspect that's the logic behind Fly's players not picks philosophy) - the time to focus on strategic list management is when we're no longer in contention, for now, let's utilize the legends on the list (Pendles, Steel) to most effectively pass on the baton to our younger players whilst doing our best to achieve Flag #17 - how nice would it be for Houston to kick the goal that seals the 2025 flag and puts us in the outright lead in the Premiership Race and all because the Baggers were focussing on the hole, and not the doughnut.

Yeah I'm not against getting Houston.

I'm against the train of thought of trading out of drafts on the regular.
People are speaking as if you can trade your way into an elite list without ever building a core group through the draft.

If we make the trade with GCS, using pick 13 in the draft is highly unlikely to result in a significant shift to us having the best sub 21 team. Using that pick to get Houston adds a weapon to a list that was unbeaten this year in games against the: Lions, Power, Cartlol and ran the Swans to a kick.

It's too hard to build a squad that is in contention, let's not be overly distracted by strategic list objectives (I suspect that's the logic behind Fly's players not picks philosophy) - the time to focus on strategic list management is when we're no longer in contention, for now, let's utilize the legends on the list (Pendles, Steel) to most effectively pass on the baton to our younger players whilst doing our best to achieve Flag #17 - how nice would it be for Houston to kick the goal that seals the 2025 flag and puts us in the outright lead in the Premiership Race and all because the Baggers were focussing on the hole, and not the doughnut.
Get next two flags with Houston then trade him to blues for 2 first rounders. Everyone happy

Hey, I won't stand for this disrespect of the great Sav Rocca!

But yes, the team wasn't great back then.

That was the issue. We had Bucks, Willo and Sav.
Not enough support for them.
Loved big Sav, was shatterd when MM gave him to north, for sweet fa might i add.

That's like having N.Daicos ? ? In 2029.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you believe Buckley was set to release the offensive side fly brang out?

If you listen to Bucks comments in the media he is often at pains to state that our offensive play was off the back of our defensive structures.
I think losing 2018 where there was some loose defensive efforts changed the way he viewed it.

But agree that Nick changed the team dynamics.

The change Fly brought about was needed, but I suspect it was a personality thing as much as anything else. He also brought in Leppa and Bolton which helped rejuvenate the place.

As for Daicos, I don't think you could have played him any way else given his physique in his first year. He was an offensive halfback and would been the same under Buckley.

Speaking of the old days … do we remember which pick we drafted Bucks, Anth, Clement and Licca at?

Or Scott Burns for that matter?

The change Fly brought about was needed, but I suspect it was a personality thing as much as anything else. He also brought in Leppa and Bolton which helped rejuvenate the place.

As for Daicos, I don't think you could have played him any way else given his physique in his first year. He was an offensive halfback and would been the same under Buckley.

Buckley would of had to change our mode off HB though as we were not a run and gun handball overlap team in his last seasons as coach.

We were looking to retain the ball by kicking often sideways and backwards to "safe" targets. At least that's how it played out, wether that was to instruction I guess is debatable but given it went on for near on 2 seasons I'd argue it was.

I don't think that is true of every player. Ie Howe, Crisp etc

But I would agree as a team the uber defensive plan sucked the life out of everyone team included. It did lay the foundations for the Fly Reno though so...
I view setting a defensive system as the easy part of coaching as players have anchor points. It's the dangerous running patterns and transition that is tough, which we only did well in 2018.

I do think both Perryman and Houston are immediate best 22 for the next 5 years which is great, something we really need. But there is a lets not pretend we aren't sacrificing our future to stay in the window by getting Houston but also something that is a major part of the conversation is that we also did it with Schultz.

Schultz for pick 11 + 34 the latter was then traded to West Coast for Clay Hall but also pick 32 in this years draft

Noble + F1 and maybe also pick 36 (so gc can match) for picks 13 + 23

Houston for pick 13, 23 + Richards

We could by the end of this trad period + last year draft picks 11, F1 (2025), 13, 23, 34 (2023), 36 + Noble + Richards for two players in Houston and Schultz

Twomey has Tobie Travaglia and Bo Allan at pick 11/12 in his phantom form guide and pick 13 we could use on any one of Luke Trainor, Jobe Shanahan, Jack Whitlock. + pick 23, 32.

Otherwise we are taking at best, picks 36, 51, 54 in this draft.
Not a fan of Houston?

Look the draft is a lottery - no guarantee if we hung onto those picks we get for Noble that they would be any good. The club clearly feels it's in the Premiership window now.

I think your comments are fair to point out there is risk in our strategy, and that we have overpaid in some people's eyes. But Houston will take us close to a flag in 2025. As for 2026 and beyond we will have to figure it out.

We want another flag next year - they are hard to win and we have a list that has taken us their once. Can we do it again?

What we don't want is no Houston and no Richards, To me this has to be avoided at all cost. IMO if we don't get Houston, we play hard ball on Richards.

I'd even go further and say what we don't want is no Richards, no Houston and no Noble

Highly unlikely.

He doesn't challenge the ball in the air as he cannot jump or is not explosive/athletic.

Then he is very slow to defend leaner and quicker forwards.

Then you cannot put him on big strong forwards either because he is not strong enough.

His only positive trait is that he's taller than 6'3.

Everything else, including awareness, is VFL level at best.

The Pies literally lost games because Dean was dominated by his man that it led to direct goals or indirect goals when his team mate had to help him leaving another player free.

Sorry, but Dean is not good enough for what the Pies need in their structure. If he is best 22, then Pies aren't gonna do well against the top 8 teams.
You're entitled to your own opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back