List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Given we planned on taking Ryan with our 1st pick before Ed popped up, it came no surprise we took Ryan with our 2nd.
Dekka loves his under-agers which is probably in Ryan's favour. Well, it would have been when first recruited but he'll need to get a move on next year to show some level of competitiveness

Last edited:
Our list is pretty fkd, let’s be honest.

Still relying on veterans next year to help us win games.

One of the worst list of kids in the league. Nick Daicos and then daylight…

No one to replace Darcy Moore in coming years. No up and coming key forwards. And no first round round draft picks this year, or assets to trade..

The club have sold the farm to try and pinch more flags, and it has backfired. But have also been hampered by poor draft pick hands, player trade dumps and poor drafting. No finals this year and finishing below hawthorn.

Salary cap room the only weapon we have, so the club will need to pull multiple rabbits out of the hat to improve.

And I don’t buy the “too many injuries disrupted us, so we’ll have to be better next year” bs.

All of the following prime moving players will likely be worse next year:

Crisp
Mihocek
WHE
Elliott
Pendles
Sidey
Howe
Mitchell

Mitchell will be worse than his handful of games this year?

Why will Crisp be worse? Checkers?

This seems like just an ageist thing to do with no real evidence to back it up. WHE seems to be getting better with age. Sidey found a new crucial position and Howe played fantastic all year.

I am worried about Pendles, but then I heard he was injured late in the year, so maybe even he can bounce back.

We don't need to worry about 2026 because 2025 is still to play out and with a few nice pieces like Davies and Keane, I think we will be better. It's such an even comp, just a full year from JDG this year may have pushed us into the top 4.

Dekka loves his under-agers which is probably in Ryan's favour. Well, it would have been when first recruited but he'll need to get a move on to show some level of competitiveness
Looked good in his first pre-season, really made an impression and had a good first season. Then with injuries contributing to his down on form, he teetered off until the end of the year. But needs a big pre-season and continue to improve.
I remember in his first pre-season. he had an impressive yoyo test v IQ, came 2nd. So has a really good endurance base.

No. But he was a teenager, key position and only got to show what he could do on the initial 2 yr contract. Not saying we made the wrong decision, but the club has flicked players early on their careers without giving them time.
Poulter is another example - not a superstar, but has turned into a serviceable player.

Thats right
Losing to saints in rd 24
beat eagles in rd 23
lost to hawks bt 74 in rd 22
lost to us in rd 21
lost to port in rd 20
beat norf by 19 in rd 19
lost to dogs in rd 18
lost to GWS in rd 17
beat richmond by 61 in rd 16

'so 3 wins since June.
Lets hope it stays that way!

Poulter is another example - not a superstar, but has turned into a serviceable player.
Good example of a player who can contribute at AFL level.
When he was with us, I remember watching him in the VFL thinking this guy is really going to be something.

Turns out I was wrong. Yeah, he’ll do OK, but there are plenty of those types out there.

That why guys like Mitchell are so underrated. He is true quality, and we missed him this year.

Mitchell will be worse than his handful of games this year?

Why will Crisp be worse? Checkers?

This seems like just an ageist thing to do with no real evidence to back it up. WHE seems to be getting better with age. Sidey found a new crucial position and Howe played fantastic all year.

I am worried about Pendles, but then I heard he was injured late in the year, so maybe even he can bounce back.

We don't need to worry about 2026 because 2025 is still to play out and with a few nice pieces like Davies and Keane, I think we will be better. It's such an even comp, just a full year from JDG this year may have pushed us into the top 4.

Well said. From his list, the bolded will have better seasons if they can avoid serious injury - as will JDG and most likely Moore. The others should be pretty similar to this year. Sidey might be better as late in the season he found a role that seemed ideal for this stage of his Career. Pendles struggled with his arm for the second half of the season - might have a better year next year.

Of the list:
Crisp
Mihocek
WHE
Elliott
Pendles
Sidey
Howe
Mitchell

wasn't there some talk we were keen on Josh Weddle before Swans traded their pick for Hawks to gazump us? or would we have taken Allan anyway even if weddle was still there?
Not totally sure if he was linked to us or not. Maybe we had Ed higher. I remember on the night, there was talk when Hawks were trading up, it was for Ed, but it wasn't. To the surprise of some given his fathers link to the club

I recall wanting Lewis Hayes as a key defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well said. From his list, the bolded will have better seasons if they can avoid serious injury - as will JDG and most likely Moore. The others should be pretty similar to this year. Sidey might be better as late in the season he found a role that seemed ideal for this stage of his Career. Pendles struggled with his arm for the second half of the season - might have a better year next year.

Of the list:
Crisp
Mihocek
WHE
Elliott
Pendles
Sidey
Howe
Mitchell
correct ..but depends on whether you think 32+ yo's are more susceptible to injury.

Miho (hamstrings) and both Mitchell (foot / plantar) & Elliott (foot /vascular) likely related to over-use

disagree. 188 cm 82+ kgs. 7 games last year, 16 games this year and firmly entrenched on half-back flank.

hard at it, strong in contest and super competitive 1v1, quick & mobile.

doesn't make mistakes, good raking kick, decent skills

will eventually play wing or further up the ground

he's everything we "hope" Ryan may turn into but i'm very very skeptical he'll make it. looks very uncompetitive even at vfl and skirts the packs way too often. plays very uncontested chippy chippy brand of footy without any overlap run.

still has time but needs to show something next season. looked massively over-awed and out of his depth in his only 1 senior appearance.

Ryan taken pick 28, Cowan pick 30 in the same draft and, for mine, was a head scratcher as Hiney read out his name
You would have been scratching your head even more if we'd taken him with our first round pick that year, as Dekka was apparently considering until Ed Allan fell into our laps.

You would have been scratching your head even more if we'd taken him with our first round pick that year, as Dekka was apparently considering until Ed Allan fell into our laps.
apoplectic.

Weddle was the one we missed with hawks trading up.

Yeah he was, Anzac, but he also wasn’t ready physically imo

2025 is where we find out
He is starting to develop a really solid body shape and starting to find the ball more regularly
I hope Jen is right and he plays up the ground, maybe even in the middle

He might not make it but I won’t use 23 or 24 as my guide
I’m not potting Ryan per se and I’m happy to cut him some slack given what transpired in his first game.
It’s plain to see Cowan is a better footballer right now though.

I’m not potting Ryan per se and I’m happy to cut him some slack given what transpired in his first game.
It’s plain to see Cowan is a better footballer right now though.
Yeah, though tbf, given hawks cleaned out most of their older players and are a young team, Weddle has gotten more opportunity. He may have ended up in the same boat as ryan if on our list. Working through the vfl waiting for opportunity.

Yeah, I remember wanting Cowan instead of Ryan from before that draft (when it looked like both would get through to our 2nd). It's a shame.

correct ..but depends on whether you think 32+ yo's are more susceptible to injury.

Miho (hamstrings) and both Mitchell (foot / plantar) & Elliott (foot /vascular) likely related to over-use

Which really makes the question: Are we likely to be more or less impacted by injury next year?

I'd say less impacted is likely, but fingers are crossed on that front - as always.

I posted a couple days ago that Fly had lunch with Stringer and manager early in the week.

I have no idea how the lunch went.

This board has gone with Welcome to Collingwood Jake Stringer type areas 😂
Doesn't the fact that Fly actually met with them imply that he doesn't see Stringer quite as bad as the enlightened in this place do?

COLLINGWOOD

The big news out of Collingwood last week was John Noble requesting a trade to Gold Coast, with the Pies reportedly wanting Pick 20 back in a deal (which feels slightly high). Developing forward Joe Richards’ future is also up in the air as he weighs a longer deal elsewhere, with Port Adelaide reportedly circling the Wangaratta FC product. It seems every trade period there is a plethora of names linked to Collingwood — with this year no different — despite the Pies not owning their first-round pick this year. Reports have stated they have interest in the likes of Adelaide’s Mark Keane, GWS’ James Peatling, Essendon’s Ben Hobbs and Gold Coast’s Alex Davies but are no longer a suitor for Suns utility Jack Lukosius. The Pies are expected to target a defensive reinforcement following Nathan Murphy’s retirement and with Jeremy Howe in his twilight years — making Keane an obvious target even, despite being contracted at Adelaide for a further season. Otherwise, expect Collingwood to go again with largely the same list after officially re-signing Howe, Scott Pendlebury and Steele Sidebottom to one-year extensions. Nathan Kreuger seems to have been pushed out of the best 23 mix and is out of contract; whether he gets another year or goes elsewhere is to be determined.

I'd be inclined to wait out Keane's contract, unless the Crows are going to be very reasonable. This draft is too deep to give up good picks..
With Bergman committed to staying at Port, it'd want to be a pretty good pick or player to tempt trading out Richards. He can play more than one role in our F50, including the extra mid coming up to the contest.
Do we get Davies as part of the Nobes' deal, or is there a tall we could target?
Sounds like Peatling's keen to stay, & he is from Sydney too.
Rather not deal with Essendon for Hobbs - doubt it's a value deal.

I'd be inclined to wait out Keane's contract, unless the Crows are going to be very reasonable. This draft is too deep to give up good picks..
With Bergman committed to staying at Port, it'd want to be a pretty good pick or player to tempt trading out Richards. He can play more than one role in our F50, including the extra mid coming up to the contest.
Do we get Davies as part of the Nobes' deal, or is there a tall we could target?
Sounds like Peatling's keen to stay, & he is from Sydney too.
Rather not deal with Essendon for Hobbs - doubt it's a value deal.
I'd be happy for us to do stuff all and just hit the draft with whatever we get for Noble - I'd also be looking to trade our future first into this draft if we can. Hoping Richards stays.

Doesn't the fact that Fly actually met with them imply that he doesn't see Stringer quite as bad as the enlightened in this place do?

He might have just been getting Stringer's expert opinion for a burger themed party he's looking to throw.

I thought that was fair enough. This was the line in the article that made me go WTF?

They delisted Josh Schache but he’s keen to play on at AFL level, and could be a bargain depth pick-up elsewhere.
He was a bargain depth pick up when the Dees got him, there’s no way anyone is going to waste a list spot on him if he couldn’t even get a gig in Melbournes forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back