List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

I get where fly and the Collingwood senior leadership are coming from with regards to not bottoming out , but you only have to look at what brisbane have done to make it into the grand final. They had 5 acls , 5 for crying out loud. Somehow it has been their young talent that they were forced to bring in that really fueld their resurgence. Their future looks really bright now that they have found the next generation to carry them forward.
So Collingwood should really reconsider the philosophy of trading draft picks to not bottom out . Unless of course the senior management aren't sold on the drafting department to nail the picks in the coming drafts given their recent track record.
Fly was only speaking on his behalf. Not the leadership group. Or the list manager. Or the recruitment manager.

There’s no way on earth they’re offering pick 24 for a depth ruck in a strong draft, that would be mental.
Maybe
But tbf, Port recruited him with a F2 and some other picks.

This was the trade from richmond to port last year

The Tigers have received picks 41 and 49, a future second-round pick tied to Fremantle as well as Port's future fourth-round pick in exchange for Soldo, with the Power also getting Richmond's pick 50 in return.

So freo's F2 this year is pick 27
So Port paid pick 27, 41, 49 and 72

I get where fly and the Collingwood senior leadership are coming from with regards to not bottoming out , but you only have to look at what brisbane have done to make it into the grand final. They had 5 acls , 5 for crying out loud. Somehow it has been their young talent that they were forced to bring in that really fuelled their resurgence. Their future looks really bright now that they have found the next generation to carry them forward.
So Collingwood should really reconsider the philosophy of trading draft picks to not bottom out . Unless of course the senior management aren't sold on the drafting department to nail the picks in the coming drafts given their recent track record.
Bro, between F&S"s and their academies, we will never be able to replicate that.

Fly was only speaking on his behalf. Not the leadership group. Or the list manager. Or the recruitment manager.
Correct me If I am wrong , but I am pretty sure the president echoed similar sentiments. Would be hard pressed to think they are the only two members of the senior management who share this sentiment.

That’s completely at odds with his podcast from a month ago when he discussed his injuries and referenced his future. I can’t remember the exact comments, but he certainly wasn’t indicating 2025 was any chance to be his last.
I would think Mitchell, Crisp, WHE, Elliott and Mihocek should be a chance to play on in 2026 - as rest will be moved on.

Not according to Cal Towmey . Depends who you prefer.
Cal’s guessing, he made that very clear when he prefaced that statement with “my belief is it could be”.

Bro, between F&S"s and their academies, we will never be able to replicate that.

This article is perfect. Look at Brisbane's draft picks in recent drafts . Aside from two f/s( we of all clubs shouldn't be complaining about f/s) barely any academy picks in their starting lineup.

The question is how well will they play in 2 years time I suppose.
Yeah, injuries and 2 years older, you can never know how vets will perform or even how their bodies will hold up.
Wouldn't be surprised if next year is Jamie's last too. There will be a few I reckon, just a matter of who and how many at once.

I'd say that would be standard amongst coaches. Their job is to prep for the coming year. But you'd hope they get outvoted by the recruiters and list manager when we should be making a longer term decision.
Agree. He is responsible for coaching the senior team, not the junior development co-ordinator.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m also supportive of trading our picks but only when we know the value of the pick and who is likely available at that pick.

Trading future firsts just don’t work for us.
Poor managers spend future capital (run down capital) to make themselves look good. Whether it be leasing flash cars, using future picks or back ending contracts.

Agree. He is responsible for coaching the senior team, not the junior development co-ordinator.
As Chris Scott said in his surly way when being questioned by a journo about a future list management decision. "I don't know yet, I'm just one vote."

I wouldn't be surprised if Collingwood are looking at options to replace hine. Think it is time to employ a different drafting and scouting philosophy .

Given coaches jobs are reliant upon wins and losses and getting better now. Most coaches would be focused on that rather than future players given there is no guarantee the said coach would even be at the club to coach these players.
This is probably why most coaches tend to say out of list management, drafting and the like and leave that to that specific department whose job it is to look after the long term prospects of the club. The coach is focused on winning week by week.

You would rarely see Bucks at the draft.

Thats right

Coaches coach.
List managers and recruiters build your list.
That’s what I got from Fly’s comment too. I reckon if you polled the current head coaches all of them (or at least a distinct majority) would have the same belief. Because their goals are more short term.

But a list manager needs to balance short term goals with long term goals which is why you need the list manager to be different to the coach.

Interesting comments by Fly on SEN saying "I don't want picks, l want players"...Even if we get a pick 12, would we trade it out?
As one of the posters just alluded to it before, should that situation arise I wouldn't be surprised if the drafting department overrules the wishes of the senior coach.

Forget worrying about what Port might be able to get for Soldo or what machinations they could possibly use to land pick 24.

We wouldn't be getting that for Richards anyway.

More likely the Saints offer up pick 43 and potentially a swap of future selections.

We'll push for Ports current pick 36 or a future 2nd.

Given he's out of contract we might yet have to settle for less than people desire.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back