List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Around the Boards 3/9/2024:
Adelaide (up to Page 377):
  • Mark Keane: Some say our Future 1st with junk picks back, others high 2nd pick.
  • Sam Berry: has re-signed so cross him of the list
  • Nathan Kreuger: Minor media speculation he could head home to SA.
  • Ash Johnson: Minor media speculation he could head home to SA.
Brisbane (Pg: 123):
  • Quiet on links between us
Carlton (Pg: 107):
  • "Owies plays similar to Elliot of collingwood" Hahahahaha!
Essendon (Pg: 182)
  • Peter Wright: Should be moved on (Melb/Coll). Pick in 20's. Swap for Joe Richards/Isaac Quaynor.
  • Dylan Sheil: "Shiel to Collingwood for #50"
  • Jake Stringer: "Stringer to Collingwood" (Noble pick swap / pick 32)
  • Ben Hobbs: "pick 20 (Noble > GoldCoast trade)"
  • Darcy Parish: Salary dump to us.
Fremantle (Pg 684):
  • Joe Richards: "Richard’s for a third"
Geelong (Pg 124):
Gold Coast (Pg 93):
  • Alex Davies: Media link. [Geel linked]
  • Jack Lukosius: Media.. Only if salary dump.
  • John Noble: Media link.
GWS (Pg 34):
  • James Peatling: Media link. and "I’m hearing JP is heading to the VFL" "Peatling goes for a late second round pick" [Melb, StK & WC linked]
Hawthorn (Pg 509):
Melbourne (Pg 269):
  • Christian Petracca: 2025 watch list.
  • Adam Tomlinson: Media speculation.
Kangaroos (Pg 78):
Port (Pg 139):
  • Joe Richards: Media link.
Richmond (Pg 229):
  • Tom Lynch: Media speculation
StKilda Pg 134):
Sydney (Pg 153):
  • Draft: Have heard rumours of our Future 1st for Sydney's picks 19 and 20 this year.
West Coast (Pg 35):
Western Bulldogs (Pg 805):
  • Bailey Smith: Most likely going to Geelong but rumours link us to him
  • Buku Khamis: OOC, we were linked last year
Draft:
  • Jobe Shanahan: 194cm KPF: Pick around 20
  • Matt Whitlock: 199cm KPD/F: Pick around 15
  • Jack Whitlock: 200cm CPF: Pick around 20
  • Alixzander Tauru: 191cm 3rd Defender: Pick around 30
Thank you for posting this summary : )

I'd jump all over that
I like Shiel, I think he'd improve our midfield and our flanks by pushing Crisp back to a flank.

And if the draft is as deep as everyone is saying that future first deal would be a ripper. Even if you didn't want to use them both, someone like Cats would have a hard on for someone left in the draft and live trade their future first (which you'd value about the same as ours) for it.

Both those deals are too good to be true to me.

The two on there I'd go with are Shiels for pick 50 and future first with Sydney for 19 and 20.
No idea whether i like the F1 for 2 mid 20's picks.....seen this movie before.

Think with the current player environment, feel next years first will be more useful next year than this year.

2 picks in the 20's doesn't enthuse me.

Playing devils advocate it has been quite a while since we had a “live” pick who exhibited star power. Of that group Henry looks more than handy and Allan could get there, but the rest are role players.

My guess though is that a lot of it is hand wringing over stuff like Stephenson over Naughton or something partly out of Hine’s control like the pick 2 trade. It’s such minuscule margins though because if you nail those two we’re top 4 this year.

I would suggest though that Hawthorn’s recruitment between 2019 and 2022 was exceptional. Day at 13, Newcombe in the MSD, MacDonald at 26 and Weddle at 18 is picking the eyes out of those good, but not high end picks. It’s scary to think just how good they can be if the likes of Ward, McKenzie and Watson really come on. Again though that’s how quick the wheel can turn because no one is suggesting that 6 months ago.

On topic has anyone monitored Hustwaite at VFL level? He’s another in that mid draft range who I was on the fence with him in his draft year as the alternative to Ryan (I was never and still am not on the Cowan train), but now might be the time to have a crack while he’s still young enough where being kept out by Pendles and Mitchell isn’t the worst thing.
Hard when we don't really had any Top 10 Picks since Nick Daicos and not many even after that with Stephenson/Moore/De Goey we had taken in Top 10

Hard when we don't really had any Top 10 Picks since Nick Daicos and not many even after that with Stephenson/Moore/De Goey we had taken in Top 10
I’m not the one with the issue. It’s cityslick that has a problem with our drafting.

No idea whether i like the F1 for 2 mid 20's picks.....seen this movie before.

Think with the current player environment, feel next years first will be more useful next year than this year.

2 picks in the 20's doesn't enthuse me.

Different kettle of fish - the first movie was in the most speculative draft ever in a year we were virtually certain to fall due to the off season fiasco. It was an absolute shocker. This would be in a draft that they're touting as ridiculously deep. Both those picks might be as valuable as our future first by themselves - thus it won't happen unless the deep draft story is bollocks.

I like Shiel, I think he'd improve our midfield and our flanks by pushing Crisp back to a flank.

And if the draft is as deep as everyone is saying that future first deal would be a ripper. Even if you didn't want to use them both, someone like Cats would have a hard on for someone left in the draft and live trade their future first (which you'd value about the same as ours) for it.

Both those deals are too good to be true to me.
That is just too good to be true but I hope it is

Different kettle of fish - the first movie was in the most speculative draft ever in a year we were virtually certain to fall due to the off season fiasco. It was an absolute shocker. This would be in a draft that they're touting as ridiculously deep. Both those picks might be as valuable as our future first by themselves - thus it won't happen unless the deep draft story is bollocks.
The problem being that Sydney are in no way locked in with 18. There’s as much chance that winds up at 14 as 18 with their finals draw. If they make a deep run it might be on, but I agree on the relative value. I also like the Shiel move although I’d have that in the unlikely column.

because the sequel is always better than the original :)
Sorry couldn't help myself.

Normally i'd 100% agree with you and be all over this.
Especially in a 'stronger' draft.

But i don't recall there been as much player uncertainty as this year.
So if we feel there are options for us next year, then i'd probably hang onto it.
Plus we need to to understand the strength of next years draft (e.g. GC having another 4 academy players etc etc)

IF...and this is a massive IF......we can turn Noble into 13, then i'd do the deal.
Which sounds counter-intuitive.

It would allow us to use 13 & 18 and then sell off the "first pick of night 2" for a F1.
That would really set us up nicely and retain future capital to remain flexible next year.

because the sequel is always better than the original :)
Sorry couldn't help myself.

Normally i'd 100% agree with you and be all over this.
Especially in a 'stronger' draft.

But i don't recall there been as much player uncertainty as this year.
So if we feel there are options for us next year, then i'd probably hang onto it.
Plus we need to to understand the strength of next years draft (e.g. GC having another 4 academy players etc etc)

IF...and this is a massive IF......we can turn Noble into 13, then i'd do the deal.
Which sounds counter-intuitive.

It would allow us to use 13 & 18 and then sell off the "first pick of night 2" for a F1.
That would really set us up nicely and retain future capital to remain flexible next year.
Is it a night 2 pick? If so I don’t think there’s any chance at all that we secure the deal. An inordinate amount of weight is put on that pick, IMO, and I don’t think Sydney would be inclined to give it up like that because I agree it probably lands a future 1st if you want to move it ahead of night 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it a night 2 pick? If so I don’t think there’s any chance at all that we secure the deal. An inordinate amount of weight is put on that pick, IMO, and I don’t think Sydney would be inclined to give it up like that because I agree it probably lands a future 1st if you want to move it ahead of night 2.
Yeah 19 will be the first pick of night 2.
No matter where it ends up.

Also just realized that the Battle FA comp will probably come in before it anyway (assuming the talk is real)...which IMO makes it not as attractive to us.
So even if Swans win it and end up with 18/19....it will probably be 18/20.

But agree.
Ironically the latest pick is worth way more than the pick immediately before it.

For me it’s the bolded that illustrates why he’d be a better fit at Collingwood. We have McStay to sit under the high ball 20 from goal and also have a better mix at ground level to mitigate that issue below his knees. I think at Collingwood he’d have different starting points and probably get more looks 40-60 from goal which obviously suits his ability to convert.

The only reason I’m not inclined to agree with you on Essendon keeping him is the Bryan situation. He’s reached a point where you’re either resigned to losing him post 2025 if Wright bounces back or Wright becomes a depth player with the Bryan/ Draper combo dominating. I think Draper’s aggression and mobility will trump Wright’s ability to hit up and convert.
Converts at more than 60% too. He’s always been a nice kick for goal.

Collingwood have joined Carlton and St Kilda in an effort to convince All-Australian defender Dan Houston to leave Port Adelaide at season’s end despite the likelihood of a trade remaining small.

The suspended Houston told South Australian radio last Friday he would be at Port Adelaide next year after speaking to the Magpies and the Blues while in Melbourne for the AFL awards night last week.

Two industry sources, who preferred to remain anonymous because they were not authorised to speak, confirmed discussions had occurred as part of a due diligence process, although Houston is aware that he is most likely to be retained by Port Adelaide, where he is happy.
“I love the place. I love the football club and the football club has been good to me, so I am committed to Port Adelaide,” Houston said last week.

Port Adelaide were after two first-round selections for the dual All-Australian, which looked possible when Melbourne were interested, however Houston cooled on that plan as the Demons endured the turmoil relating to Christian Petracca’s strong stance that the club needed to address ongoing issues.
Port Adelaide don’t want to lose Houston but saw the chance to get into a deep draft and fill his position with unrestricted free agent Harry Perryman if Houston was determined to return to Victoria.
The Magpies traded out their 2024 first-round selection for Lachie Schultz last year but will negotiate with Gold Coast after defender John Noble requested a trade, making it difficult for them to come up with a package suitable for Port Adelaide.

Carlton have also been adamant they will use a first-round selection in the strong national draft, however Houston’s links with coach Michael Voss keep the Blues in the conversation.

St Kilda remain in the hunt having lost Josh Battle to Hawthorn, but it’s unclear what compensation they will receive from the AFL for the defender.

The club holds pick seven in this year’s draft and might be able to convince Port Adelaide to trade him if they gain an extra pick within the first round. They had earlier contacted Houston as part of their due diligence when it became clear the Demons were no longer in the race.

Houston still has four years remaining on his contract with the Power and although suspended for the rest of the season after his bump on Adelaide’s Izak Rankine, wants to remain focused on assisting Port’s premiership campaign.

Port Adelaide remain hopeful of landing Perryman from the Giants, with the 25-year-old yet to decide on his future while the Giants are in finals.

It's one of North's assistance package end of round 1 picks. So who knows when the AFL would have it chosen.

Cornes suggested Houston would be elsewhere next year & wasn't convinced with his statement about staying.

I can picture him in a Blues jumper. He has a bit of a Blues head about him.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back