List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

No, he's not. Keane is a bigger man and more capable of matching the bigger bodied players Dean struggles against.
Keane is 1cm shorter and only 3kg heavier. They’re virtually the same size and Keane was absolutely destroyed by a bigger body in Armatey this year.

You’re posting nonsense.

I wouldn't be opposed to getting Day in for nothing?

Basically same age as Checkers but much taller and I don't think has an injury history?

Worst case he's depth at least because we clearly don't see a spot for Kreuger
1725520831780.jpeg

This thread is excruciating at the momemt.
Our players are shit.
Every suggested player is shit.
Thank **** there's football tonight!
Bring it on. I'm having serious footy withdrawals.

Edit : a lot of spuds as potential trades have been mentioned, mostly via journo's thought bubbles 🥴

Last edited:
IMO one of the major keys to our success is to free up Degoey. JDG is arguably our best forward and our second best midfielder. Problem is that right now he gets thrown around between the two positions favouring whichever is struggling.

This is why I can get on board with Stringer, who can competently play the role JDG plays up forward, which in turn boosts our midfield stocks. I think that this trade period there's more chance of us getting Stringer doing the "Degoey forward" role than there is of us finding a player who can do the "Degoey mid" role on the cheap.

IMO one of the major keys to our success is to free up Degoey. JDG is arguably our best forward and our second best midfielder. Problem is that right now he gets thrown around between the two positions favouring whichever is struggling.

This is why I can get on board with Stringer, who can competently play the role JDG plays up forward, which in turn boosts our midfield stocks. I think that this trade period there's more chance of us getting Stringer doing the "Degoey forward" role than there is of us finding a player who can do the "Degoey mid" role on the cheap.
You mean the role de goey only had been playing up forward in a couple games when he was having groin issues and checkers was injured?

If all fit.
Checkers. Mcstay. Beau. Hill. Schultz. Jamie. One of the rucks. Then at times you may have one of the mids rotating forward
Not sure we'll play 8 forwards.

Of all our needs, I think he would be lower on the list.

This thread is excruciating at the momemt.
Our players are shit.
Every suggested player is shit.
Thank **** there's football tonight!
In fairness that’s a pretty reasonable assessment of the names being thrown around currently.

You could probably add Lucosious - not that we were really into him.

Honestly with some of the names being thrown up on this board of late (Francis; Hind, Owies, Stringer etc) I'm really looking forward to the footy tonight. I need to cleanse my mind of the thought of some of these players being mentioned in the same sentence as Collingwood.
Yeah need some mental Draino

You mean the role de goey only had been playing up forward in a couple games when he was having groin issues and checkers was injured?

If all fit.
Checkers. Mcstay. Beau. Hill. Schultz. Jamie. One of the rucks. Then at times you may have one of the mids rotating forward
Not sure we'll play 8 forwards.

Of all our needs, I think he would be lower on the list.
As you said "one of the mids rotating forward". That's Degoey. Then you have Stringer who can rotate with Degoey into the midfield. There's also generally at least one of those named forwards on the bench at any given time and I don't think that we have ever had a situation where all of our forwards have been fit at the same time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We lost a Prelim by 1pt in 22, we won our flag last season on the back of some incredibly close September wins and missed finals this season because of 2 draws and a narrow defeat or two.

I'm not sure I want to turn my nose up at the prospect of Stringer so quick.

Kicked more goals than any Collingwood player in 24 and his overall output for this season matches closely with our top 3 goal kickers.

Given our list management is clearly focused on the now and another crack at the flag next year I'm not against his possible recruitment even if he's a meathead.

There would have to be an existing system of metrics.
Leppa is likely to add or subtract criteria, so I’m not not sure it’s that hard.
For example a player fluent on both sides ( all other criteria being equal) would rate higher than a one sided player. Similarly speed.
And the list would go on.

If you simplify something enough it indeed becomes simple, but not particularly useful.

The reality is you're not comparing players that are the same in everything except one attribute. Even if there's just two variables,which player are you taking the dual sided player or the one that is a better kick on their preferred foot.

Assumedly it's come down to how much better on their preferred foot, which we can't actually measure and thus go on vibe. And even if we could measure it, how much better before dual sided loses to better kick. The reality is it'd depend on other variables - do they have a lot of tricks or evasiveness to get back onto their preferred foot - can they do Nick Daicos kicks which make the left foot pretty unnecessary. Now add in all the other variables, physical and skill then include recruiting price, age and salary.

Hine has spoken about his process with draftees. He scores them against criteria and then adds up their score. Sounds simple and good. But the thing is if you weight the criteria incorrectly or get the important combinations of attributes incorrectly you're drafting Reef McInness before Scott Pendlebury.

Last edited:
We lost a Prelim by 1pt in 22, we won our flag last season on the back of some incredibly close September wins and missed finals this season because of 2 draws and a narrow defeat or two.

I'm not sure I want to turn my nose up at the prospect of Stringer so quick.

Kicked more goals than any Collingwood player in 24 and his overall output for this season matches closely with our top 3 goal kickers.

Given our list management is clearly focused on the now and another crack at the flag next year I'm not against his possible recruitment even if he's a meathead.

The knock isn't on Stringer's ability to score. It's whether he could play in our system that requires high defensive pressure from all of the forwards. If he slacks, teams will play off him and the whole forward structure falls down. Pretty sure this is why AJ fell so far out of favour.

If you simplify something enough it indeed becomes simple, but not particularly useful.

The reality is you're not comparing players that are the same in everything except one attribute. Even if there's just two variables,which player are you taking the dual sided player or the one that is a better kick on their preferred foot.

Assumedly it's come down to how much better on their preferred foot, which we can't actually measure and thus go on vibe. And even if we could measure it, how much better before dual sided loses to better kick. The reality is it'd depend on other variables - do they have a lot of tricks or evasiveness to get back onto their preferred foot - can they do Nick Daicos kicks which make the left foot pretty unnecessary. Now add in all the other variables, including recruiting price, age and salary.

Hine has spoken about his process with draftees. He scores them against criteria and then adds up their score. Sounds simple and good. But the thing is if you weight the criteria incorrectly or get the important combinations of attributes incorrectly you're drafting Reef McInness before Scott Pendlebury.
Lots of professions involve decisions that have varying degrees of ‘science’ and ‘art’. Management 201 - forecasting is not an exact science.

Assumedly it's come down to how much better on their preferred foot, which we can't actually measure and thus go on vibe. And even if we could measure it, how much better before dual sided loses to better kick. The reality is it'd depend on other variables - do they have a lot of tricks or evasiveness to get back onto their preferred foot - can they do Nick Daicos kicks which make the left foot pretty unnecessary. Now add in all the other variables, including recruiting price, age and salary.

How many of us have played with or against an AFL footballer? The guys that go outside the top 10-15 when it becomes about vibe are like gods compared to us mere mortals. Given how insanely talented the vast majority of these guys are it largely doesn’t matter what your rating system looks like. It all boils down to coachability and opportunity.

At best we could hope for marginal gains if an area for improvement is identified.

That was a one off night and he continued to kick them out of his arse after Keane was moved. The full back in the team of the century had 12 goals kicked on him at Moorabbin one afternoon. The Blues should have delisted him!
Will not be the last player to struggle on Darcy that bloke is going to be an absolute superstar

How many of us have played with or against an AFL footballer? The guys that go outside the top 10-15 when it becomes about vibe are like gods compared to us mere mortals. Given how insanely talented the vast majority of these guys are it largely doesn’t matter what your rating system looks like. It all boils down to coachability and opportunity.

At best we could hope for marginal gains if an area for improvement is identified.

I got dropped from Old Xavs 2s so the younger brother of one of our best players could be given a game. And he hadn’t even trained.

F U James McDonald.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Agree. Blokes that played 3 seasons AFL Reserves can play 30 games for a country club and make their team of the century. Probably the most talented footballer that club ever put on the paddock.

Agree. Blokes that played 3 seasons AFL Reserves can play two seasons for a country club and make their team of the century. Probably the most talented footballer that club ever put on the paddock

The knock isn't on Stringer's ability to score. It's whether he could play in our system that requires high defensive pressure from all of the forwards. If he slacks, teams will play off him and the whole forward structure falls down. Pretty sure this is why AJ fell so far out of favour.

Stringer is far more capable a player than Johnson so good luck if the opposition don't want to pay him any respect.

If he came to the club his best is likely to be seen in his first year when he's motivated by the fresh environment and desire to stick it up the Bombers.

The reality is players like T. Mitchell and O'Meara were still best 22 players for Hawthorn when S. Mitchell decided to trade them and open opportunity for others.

That worked out well for us with Mitchell becoming a Premiership player but it's fair to say that by retaining all of our veterans we are all in for next season and that's fine if we bounce back hard. If we don't however then no doubt we will be denying greater opportunity for the next wave along the way and that'll be the worst possible outcome. Mid table of death here we come.

My point is retaining all of our veterans only works if we once again become a red hot Premiership chance in 25 and if we're going to go all in do we have the gonads to take that next level and take on someone like Stringer who has boom or bust written all over him.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back