List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Very curious to see which defender/defenders we have in our sights. They must be confident that they have a reasonable shot at getting them, otherwise they wouldn't have left dean without a contract. Considering he is our only genuine backup defender.

My view is that you don't draft for the first two years. You might get lucky with a Daicos or Ashcroft at the pointy end of the draft, but really you're drafting for years 3+. You go into the 2023 draft picking for someone you're hoping will do well and contribute between 2026 and 2036. Age 21-31. I wouldn't factor in any of the blokes you mentioned. We only have about 5 senior players who will play a lot of their career as contemporaries with last year's draft crop. Everything is a need for the period 2026+. With an old team, best available all the way.
It’s a view I share and in which case you’ve got two guys that were at the time list relevant until around 2030 (both of whom offer more athletically). If we’re rolling the clock back I’m going to suggest midfield with scope to play flank was the greater need than undersized KPF because at that point we had the Daicais as established mids with positional scope that would hit that band for any serious length of time. That’s it.

I don’t think we’ve seen anywhere near enough to mount a case for or against Morris with the pick we used on HDM, but I’m pretty strong that if we were reaching with a need in that draft it wasn’t on a KPF.

HH maybe, but he hasn’t solidified a role yet

Parker… should have stuck to cricket
I'm no expert in talent identification but your comment about Parker seems a bit strange.
From the little that we did see of him, he seemed like a gifted footballer to me.

I believe he will become a regular in our best 22.

I'm no expert in talent identification but your comment about Parker seems a bit strange.
From the little that we did see of him, he seemed like a gifted footballer to me.

I believe he will become a regular in our best 22.
He certainly showed plenty of poise & promise.

Very curious to see which defender/defenders we have in our sights. They must be confident that they have a reasonable shot at getting them, otherwise they wouldn't have left dean without a contract. Considering he is our only genuine backup defender.
Or, they told Dean they would sort him out afterwards.

However, I've seen plenty of ugly parents and coaches, who want their kids to become highly paid professional sports people so they can live off the proceeds.
To be fair, I don’t think the money comes into it at that point. I think it’s a combination of being able to bignote themselves as having a real “talent” for a child/player in conversations with other parents, and living vicariously through the child. The non-toxic parents just want the kids to be happy and active, and to a certain extent being at least competitive in playing sport correlates with being happy playing sport.

I'm particularly confused by 10+5=17

I mean, it appears at first glance to be correct, because you’d think he couldn’t possibly get that part wrong…

Maybe he manages the cap at Carltank?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean, it appears at first glance to be correct, because you’d think he couldn’t possibly get that part wrong…
I like it too. It makes everything an omen for a Pies flag

Sausages are $11.99 a kg.

11.99=17

Go Pies!

11.99=17

Go Pies!

11.99 equalled 16 last year, at least I’m pretty sure that’s what our goal kicking accuracy yielded.

11.99=17

Go Pies!
I’d like some of whatever your smoking, with those figures.

FMD, I love your commitment to what we do NS, but imagine questioning any of our staffing or processes in trading and drafting if it makes us better

The point isn’t about the player, it’s about the process

Your statement needs context, he was never going to go top 10 so these clubs didn’t “pass” on him
Further, I couldn’t give a ____ what other clubs do.

We had an interest in him, and he may turn out to do nothing in following seasons, but it doesn’t justify how we go about it.

You seem to think I don’t like players, or the club, I love them all.
I hate what our processes have been since winning the flag. I feel like we rocked up straight from mad Monday.

I hope Haz becomes a legend
I hope Schultz kicks 5 in a gf
(But his 2 goals against Lions didn’t emphatically justify the trade as you claimed after the match nor that he won the game for us - Nick had 42 / Q a game-saving tackle / Beau a brilliant roving goal to put us up)

We’re all on the same team here so surely we can discuss civilly what’s going right and wrong in all points of our club (regardless of whether we’ve just won a flag or at the bottom)
Not sure why you’re being so aggressive. I made the simple observation that many other clubs passed on him. So to point the finger exclusively on our recruiters is disingenuous.
Hence these “what ifs” don’t add anything to improving us.
The draft is a lottery, you take your pick and HOPE they become longterm players.
To further emphasize my point on LM - I don’t recall howls of protests on draft night that we missed him.
Everyone’s an expert in hindsight.

Not sure why you’re being so aggressive. I made the simple observation that many other clubs passed on him. So to point the finger exclusively on our recruiters is disingenuous.
Hence these “what ifs” don’t add anything to improving us.
The draft is a lottery, you take your pick and HOPE they become longterm players.
To further emphasize my point on LM - I don’t recall howls of protests on draft night that we missed him.
Everyone’s an expert in hindsight.
Apologies, NS, it wasn’t meant to be aggressive.

If we knew at draft time AJ, would have a poor season, and that Brodie and McStay would miss with injury, while Kreuger was not up to it, we may have gone a different way.
I doubt it. Anyone drafting an 18 year old second round kpf to impact in year 1 should get out of the recruiting game.

I doubt it. Anyone drafting an 18 year old second round kpf to impact in year 1 should get out of the recruiting game.
Yeah, I can’t believe how quickly he’s developed this year

I would have drafted him to be the roaming KPP / pseudo-Checkers replacement in 3 years

Yeah, I can’t believe how quickly he’s developed this year

I would have drafted him to be the roaming KPP / pseudo-Checkers replacement in 3 years
He's made a great start, but I'm not as worried as I'm not convinced he improves much from here. I see Checkers without the recovery and thus second efforts and ground level game.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back