List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Cox battled through injury this year so I’m expecting an improved performance from him in 2025. That allows Smit and Steen further time to develop.
Steene himself had an injury prone season and Smit has never had a preseason. We don’t want list cloggers coming in and blocking their progression.

If we recruit a key forward it needs to be because they are much better forwards than we have already, not because they can chop out in the ruck.

Cox battled through injury this year so I’m expecting an improved performance from him in 2025. That allows Smit and Steen further time to develop.
he’s 34, even last year his form was up and down seeing him dropped late in the season. I’m not potting him, but he’s showing signs that the end is near. And we just haven’t seen enough of smit or steene to pass judgement. I still think we’d be better off having another option to cox going into next season.

he’s 34, even last year his form was up and down seeing him dropped late in the season. I’m not potting him, but he’s showing signs that the end is near. And we just haven’t seen enough of smit or steene to pass judgement. I still think we’d be better off having another option to cox going into next season.
Like Kreuger . Or Frampton. Or Smit. Or Steene. or McStay. plus our almost AA Cameron.

We will cope fine with ruck depth.

Cox is a bit of a concern considering it was actually a knee injury, which is the first he’s had of this type, ( in the past it’s been unusual injuries like spleen and eyes that don’t necessary have a risk of repeating) . But he’s pretty durable and I expect him to bounce back pretty well.

Edit…. This time a year ago many on this board were fiercely advocating we draft Naismith. That was a disaster for Richmond.

Last edited:
Taking the comment out of context my friend. It is about selling the farm to acquire players when premiership chances may have gone by.
I get your point, but Mitchell wasn’t exactly selling the farm. He was pick 14(?) and ended up being their best player and winning a Brownlow etc.

Now if you’d used JOM as an example….

I literally cannot fathom how someone has watched Derek Hine and the list management team operate in the past two decades and still thinks that they'll go get a key forward simply for the reason that we desperately need one.

We'll do nothing and be told that there's no good key forwards in existence.
To be fair, he operated under Buckley’s tenure, who didn’t really rate genuine key forwards a great deal. Given Fly has publicly said he wants one, I’d imagine that priorities in drafting might shift a little.

I can't believe you think lord is a better option than Wright and Membrey.
Crazy how much weight people are putting on one good game.

Well not offered a contract at his exit interview. And not given any indication one was in the offing. But like all fringe types they will wait until end of trade period before any official decision
We have quite a few in same situation

When did Cox get dropped? I can only remember him missing games through injury, even though he doesn't seem to do much we seem to have a much higher winning % when Cox plays, I think his spot is pretty safe for now.

When did Cox get dropped? I can only remember him missing games through injury, even though he doesn't seem to do much we seem to have a much higher winning % when Cox plays, I think his spot is pretty safe for now.
late last year not this year. Played 2 games in the vfl and did well, then when Cameron jarred his back at training got recalled. To his credit he turned his form around and was pretty good through the finals.

He didn’t. And yes even when he’s running on three cylinders as he did in the second half of the year we are a better side with cox in the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought the same 12 months ago… but young Smit is a future AFL ruckman 👌

Showed a lot in his handful of games. Had 55 hit outs in one of his VFL games

Give the kid 18 months to fill out and develop his craft and he’ll be ready for senior football in 2026 imo

In the meantime if they bring in another KPD then frampton can be ruck if cox or Cameron are injured

Yes he did get dropped last year, I was only thinking this year because it's now last season.
Pretty irrelevant that cox was dropped in 2023 in our premiership season when he was in our top five most influential players in the last quarter of the GF which we wouldn’t have won without them.

I’d rather take 13 to the draft

Well many reasons for me.

1. Houston is a very good player but he doesnt address a need. Sure he is a gun, but we already have very good half back flankers

2. Having said that, Id happily take him if he was a free agent, but he is not - He will be expensive, will cost multiple early picks.

3. Because he is expensive it means we wont be able to address the areas on the list that are a need: Key position players and midfielders

4. Trading away multiple early picks is a perfectly good strategy for a team genuinely in the premiership window. We just finished ninth with an ageing list. Key players in our flag year like Pendles Sidey and Crisp had pretty mediocre years by their high standards. The team spluttered and had an inability to play 4 quarters. Sure their were some great quarters, but few great games. it’s possible we bounce back, I hope we bounce back, but with a surplus of veterans who are likely to get worse and a lack of quality kids, it’s very unlikely in my view. We really run the risk of being like Hawthorn trading for JOM and Mitchell or Richmond trading for Hopper and Taranto, selling the future for the mirage of one last crack…

He didn’t. And yes even when he’s running on three cylinders as he did in the second half of the year we are a better side with cox in the side.
He's important structurally, because he draws opposition defenders who are worried about his height.
If he's holding his marks he's dangerous and a decent set shot.

I don’t consider Houston or Perryman as pure half back flankers. They are both versatile enough to join the midfield rotations. Players of their ilk will allow us enormous seamless flexibility to rotate players like crisp DeGoey and naicos wherever they are needed, and will also allow the coaches to gradually reduce minutes for Mitchell Pendlebury and Sidebottom as their aging legs slow down toward retirement.

So I totally disagree that Houston is not a need because he’s only a defender which we don’t need. If he frees up Josh back to the wing that’s a benefit for a start.

To be fair, he operated under Buckley’s tenure, who didn’t really rate genuine key forwards a great deal. Given Fly has publicly said he wants one, I’d imagine that priorities in drafting might shift a little.
Think too much has been made of McRae's comment. He did say we'd want a key forward, but then went on to mention most other positions as well. Didn't really indicate which were the priority.

Well many reasons for me.

1. Houston is a very good player but he doesnt address a need. Sure he is a gun, but we already have very good half back flankers

2. Having said that, Id happily take him if he was a free agent, but he is not - He will be expensive, will cost multiple early picks.

3. Because he is expensive it means we wont be able to address the areas on the list that are a need: Key position players and midfielders

4. Trading away multiple early picks is a perfectly good strategy for a team genuinely in the premiership window. We just finished ninth with an ageing list. Key players in our flag year like Pendles Sidey and Crisp had pretty mediocre years by their high standards. The team spluttered and had an inability to play 4 quarters. Sure their were some great quarters, but few great games. it’s possible we bounce back, I hope we bounce back, but with a surplus of veterans who are likely to get worse and a lack of quality kids, it’s very unlikely in my view. We really run the risk of being like Hawthorn trading for JOM and Mitchell or Richmond trading for Hopper and Taranto, selling the future for the mirage of one last crack…

I would 1000% agree with all of this if we didn’t have some genuine gun under 24 year olds, a shit tonne of cap space coming up over the next two seasons and another young gun father son coming at the end of next year

Having said that, we still obviously need to be smart with an eye to the near future

I don’t consider Houston or Perryman as pure half back flankers. They are both versatile enough to join the midfield rotations. Players of their ilk will allow us enormous seamless flexibility to rotate players like crisp DeGoey and naicos wherever they are needed, and will also allow the coaches to gradually reduce minutes for Mitchell Pendlebury and Sidebottom as their aging legs slow down toward retirement.

So I totally disagree that Houston is not a need because he’s only a defender which we don’t need. If he frees up Josh back to the wing that’s a benefit for a start.
Totally agree, plus Houston has a great field kick on him. You can never have enough good kickers.

Think too much has been made of McRae's comment. He did say we'd want a key forward, but then went on to mention most other positions as well. Didn't really indicate which were the priority.
People heard and focused on what they wanted to hear. Those what want a kpf focussed on that. I think we needed to add runners, so I heard 2 wingman.

And Fly loves player position versatility.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back