List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't believe you think lord is a better option than Wright and Membrey.
If we had a 20 year old forward (at the time) put up four goals in a final, he'd be the 2nd highest rated kid on this board by orders of magnitude. He's a stocky young prospect whose shown the ability to chop out ruck which is vital to our set-up. Short-term, he is competition for Cox and a likely successor, and long-term he may develop into being a McStay replacement as a proper forward. Cost wise, he won't cost the world and we're shortcutting through the development stage that comes with taking a young forward.

Membrey is also a good target, but the cost is we don't play Cox which might sound alright but we lose height and a chop-out ruck. Requires a lot of change in structure, the end result being unknown.

Wright trade rumours have been shut down.

I didn't hear that part of his speech, so don't know how it could be interpreted.

Did he mention any other of the players with question marks over them like Reef, Noble, Bytel, Sullivan, Long, etc?
🤷‍♂️ didn’t hear it myself

Realistically do we have a genuine chance at landing Houston? Or is this more of a hope and dream and would love to piss Carlton off thing?
I believe we are in with a chance. Very clear that the club will have a crack at it.

If we had a 20 year old forward (at the time) put up four goals in a final, he'd be the 2nd highest rated kid on this board by orders of magnitude. He's a stocky young prospect whose shown the ability to chop out ruck which is vital to our set-up. Short-term, he is competition for Cox and a likely successor, and long-term he may develop into being a McStay replacement as a proper forward. Cost wise, he won't cost the world and we're shortcutting through the development stage that comes with taking a young forward.

Membrey is also a good target, but the cost is we don't play Cox which might sound alright but we lose height and a chop-out ruck. Requires a lot of change in structure, the end result being unknown.

Wright trade rumours have been shut down.
It's the only decent game he had in 4 years. I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more than that snippet. Anyone can have a game out of the blue. I kicked 11 goals and probably had 40 disposals from the midfield in under 16s combined state championships, never replicated that ever again.

A key forward is not a desperate need for this year. One for the future is. A player like Murphy is needed more, but he was quite exceptional, being able to play above his height because of class and a manic attack on the ball. We will have to settle for a more conventional tall, solid back like battle. I don't know why he was not a target. Nobody on offer really seems to fit the bill, so I think we will be managing with what we have this year. Since we have seen virtually nothing of Eyre, and Dean has not played much, we don't really know what our current stocks will produce.

Realistically do we have a genuine chance at landing Houston? Or is this more of a hope and dream and would love to piss Carlton off thing?
From what I am hearing, port are pretty pissed off with how Carlton have handled these trade negotiations. Whether that can be repaired remains to be seen. North are offering their future 1st but apparently port want a first this year. So if we can get that 13 pick off Gold Coast, we are in with a shot.

At the very least it will force Carlton to pay more if they want him.
I really hope Carlton don’t get him. His elite kicking would feed their forwards nicely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well many reasons for me.

1. Houston is a very good player but he doesnt address a need. Sure he is a gun, but we already have very good half back flankers

2. Having said that, Id happily take him if he was a free agent, but he is not - He will be expensive, will cost multiple early picks.

3. Because he is expensive it means we wont be able to address the areas on the list that are a need: Key position players and midfielders

4. Trading away multiple early picks is a perfectly good strategy for a team genuinely in the premiership window. We just finished ninth with an ageing list. Key players in our flag year like Pendles Sidey and Crisp had pretty mediocre years by their high standards. The team spluttered and had an inability to play 4 quarters. Sure their were some great quarters, but few great games. it’s possible we bounce back, I hope we bounce back, but with a surplus of veterans who are likely to get worse and a lack of quality kids, it’s very unlikely in my view. We really run the risk of being like Hawthorn trading for JOM and Mitchell or Richmond trading for Hopper and Taranto, selling the future for the mirage of one last crack…
We’re losing our main rebounding half back, our AA wingman had to move to defence this year to provide better attacking rebound, and you think a dual AA half back who hits attacking targets more regularly than just about any player in the comp isn’t a need?

Really..?

If we get pick 13 we’re in a win/win situation. We either successfully trade for Houston, which pisses Carlton off, or Carlton panics and offers up two first rounders to get him, and we have an early pick to take to the draft, which also pisses Carlton off.

There’s nothing about this situation that’s not to like.

Hypothetically Port get Pick 26 for Soldo (might need another swap in St Kilda's favour)...

Who says no?

Port get: Richards, Lukosius, 13
Port give: Houston, 26

GCS get: Noble, Coll F2, 26
GCS give: Lukosius, 13

Pies get: Houston
Pies give: Richards, Noble, F2

Call me Adam Cooney?
Sounds y

Well many reasons for me.

1. Houston is a very good player but he doesnt address a need. Sure he is a gun, but we already have very good half back flankers

2. Having said that, Id happily take him if he was a free agent, but he is not - He will be expensive, will cost multiple early picks.

3. Because he is expensive it means we wont be able to address the areas on the list that are a need: Key position players and midfielders

4. Trading away multiple early picks is a perfectly good strategy for a team genuinely in the premiership window. We just finished ninth with an ageing list. Key players in our flag year like Pendles Sidey and Crisp had pretty mediocre years by their high standards. The team spluttered and had an inability to play 4 quarters. Sure their were some great quarters, but few great games. it’s possible we bounce back, I hope we bounce back, but with a surplus of veterans who are likely to get worse and a lack of quality kids, it’s very unlikely in my view. We really run the risk of being like Hawthorn trading for JOM and Mitchell or Richmond trading for Hopper and Taranto, selling the future for the mirage of one last crack…
Ok, this is the second time in as many days that someone has referenced Hawthorn bringing in Mitchell as a misstep. They used pick 14 on a 23 YEAR OLD who couldn't get a slot in front of prime Kennedy, Parker and Hannebury.

In his first 2 years he won 2 B&F's, a Brownlow and one of those years they finished top 4. He then missed an entire season with a horrifically broken leg, came back and won another B&F!

Trading pick 14 for Tom Mitchell was not only a good decision by the Hawks, it's one of the best trades of all time.

Hypothetically Port get Pick 26 for Soldo (might need another swap in St Kilda's favour)...

Who says no?

Port get: Richards, Lukosius, 13
Port give: Houston, 26

GCS get: Noble, Coll F2, 26
GCS give: Lukosius, 13

Pies get: Houston
Pies give: Richards, Noble, F2

Call me Adam Cooney?
GCS.

It's the only decent game he had in 4 years. I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more than that snippet. Anyone can have a game out of the blue. I kicked 11 goals and probably had 40 disposals from the midfield in under 16s combined state championships, never replicated that ever again.
Nominate for the draft, ya never know your luck

Nominate for the draft, ya never know your luck
Old Man Technology GIF by The Mole Agent

If we get pick 13 we’re in a win/win situation. We either successfully trade for Houston, which pisses Carlton off, or Carlton panics and offers up two first rounders to get him, and we have an early pick to take to the draft, which also pisses Carlton off.

There’s nothing about this situation that’s not to like.
So basically all we need to do is land pick 13 and then we good! Well hopefully we get a deal done with GC!

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back