List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

I can’t pretend to say I know enough of lord to judge either way except to say slow burners are often the best recruits. Like Darcy Cameron. Or Bobby Hill
its a nice sentiment, and the path for rucks is different, but slow burners are rarely the best recruits although there will be some exceptions. If you look over the whole field however transitioning to a top line player correlates strongly with doing well early. It apples especially to mids and mediums down but is still pretty strong with KP types.

Also Bobby wasn't a slow burn. Personally I was very excited when we picked him up because he was following a pathway most of the gooduns do. Season 1 and 2 made his debut, played a bit and showed some special traits, Season 3 was locked into GWS best 22 until he went home from the bubble to be with his pregnant wife. Likewise season 4 was a lock for 1st 11 rounds til had his cancer treatment. Season 5 and 6 lock at Collingwood, N Smith, premiership player.

Surely they'll include pick 12 and their opening stance is just bravado.
Of course they will. They have already put it on the table now as shat themselves with our aggression on him.

Vossy knows he is in the window and can’t afford to let a quality player like Dan slip through.

its a nice sentiment, and the path for rucks is different, but slow burners are rarely the best recruits although there will be some exceptions. If you look over the whole field however transitioning to a top line player correlates strongly with doing well early. It apples especially to mids and mediums down but is still pretty strong with KP types.

Also Bobby wasn't a slow burn. Personally I was very excited when we picked him up because he was following a pathway most of the gooduns do. Season 1 and 2 made his debut, played a bit and showed some special traits, Season 3 was locked into GWS best 22 until he went home from the bubble to be with his pregnant wife. Likewise season 4 was a lock for 1st 11 rounds til had his cancer treatment. Season 5 and 6 lock at Collingwood, N Smith, premiership player.
As soon as it was announced that we had acquired him, I knew immediately that Bobby would compliment Fly’s game plan perfectly.
And didn’t he ever.

Ok, this is the second time in as many days that someone has referenced Hawthorn bringing in Mitchell as a misstep. They used pick 14 on a 23 YEAR OLD who couldn't get a slot in front of prime Kennedy, Parker and Hannebury.

In his first 2 years he won 2 B&F's, a Brownlow and one of those years they finished top 4. He then missed an entire season with a horrifically broken leg, came back and won another B&F!

Trading pick 14 for Tom Mitchell was not only a good decision by the Hawks, it's one of the best trades of all time.
You have completely missed the point which was made. The hawks recruited Mitchell as they thought they were still in the window. They weren’t and eventually came to that conclusion, which lead to him coming to the pies. The tigers did the same with tarranto and hopper. The ability of these players was not questioned, just the timing of them being picked up

You have completely missed the point which was made. The hawks recruited Mitchell as they thought they were still in the window. They weren’t and eventually came to that conclusion, which lead to him coming to the pies. The tigers did the same with tarranto and hopper. The ability of these players was not questioned, just the timing of them being picked up
Taranto and Hopper must be spewing now, being stuck at spoonmond for another few years.

If we get pick 13 we’re in a win/win situation. We either successfully trade for Houston, which pisses Carlton off, or Carlton panics and offers up two first rounders to get him, and we have an early pick to take to the draft, which also pisses Carlton off.

There’s nothing about this situation that’s not to like.
Trading Noble and a F1 for 13 then taking it to the draft?

So, what do you think the Hawks should have done with what became pick 16 at the time? Drafted a player 4 years younger, gave them 3 years development and against the odds hope that said player performs half as well as Mitchell did for 6 years? All so that they can say they went the youth route? Again, he was 23 not 30.

Last edited:
Might be in the minority but I'd prefer to try and get a couple of top 20 selections and hit the draft rather than targeting Houston. Something like Noble and future 1st for 13 & 20.
I think we have enough on our list for another crack next year with a clear run, but need to start preparing for life after pendles, sidey, Howe, crisp, Mitchell etc.
I'm also a Reef fan and whilst he hasn't proved anything, think he's got all the attributes to be a very good half back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if they weren’t in the premiership window, they spent pick 14 on a player who gave them 106 games, multiple best and fairests, a Brownlow, and still had more to give when he was pushed out by the new coach.

Getting that return for a mid/late first rounder is amazingly good business by any metric, regardless of whether you’re in the premiership window or not.

Might be in the minority but I'd prefer to try and get a couple of top 20 selections and hit the draft rather than targeting Houston. Something like Noble and future 1st for 13 & 20.
I think we have enough on our list for another crack next year with a clear run, but need to start preparing for life after pendles, sidey, Howe, crisp, Mitchell etc.
I'm also a Reef fan and whilst he hasn't proved anything, think he's got all the attributes to be a very good half back.
Life after those players you mentioned doesn't have to be a speculative 18 year old though. It can be a 27 year old in who is likely to play for at least 5 more years at a high standard.

Houston puts us back in flag contention. The club will do everything possible to get him.

I fear though that Carlton might trump us. They are also likely to get Graham Wright as CEO. Flags tend to follow him.

Trading Noble and a F1 for 13 then taking it to the draft?
I’m not convinced that it will take a F1 + Noble for 13 to happen, at least not without something else coming back our way that could help us upgrade our second rounder.

Even if they weren’t in the premiership window, they spent pick 14 on a player who gave them 106 games, multiple best and fairests, a Brownlow, and still had more to give when he was pushed out by the new coach.

Getting that return for a mid/late first rounder is amazingly good business by any metric, regardless of whether you’re in the premiership window or not.
The craziest part of their argument is that only 4 years ago Collingwood did exactly what they're proposing (Fin Macrae pick 19) and it's not looking good.

Houston puts us back in flag contention. The club will do everything possible to get him.

I fear though that Carlton might trump us. They are also likely to get Graham Wright as CEO. Flags tend to follow him.
How will Carlton trump us? For once, we’re pretty well placed to get deals done more on our trade terms during trade week. Port want Joey, GC want Noble. Carlton do not have that collateral. If GC and PA want to get both players, they’ll have to deal. Richards would rather resign with us than try to get to PA via the PSD if a deal can’t go through. Likewise with Noble, GC have put considerable time into convincing him to join them throughout the year. You don’t get the player to commit if you’re not confident of getting a deal done. How many players have come out and nominated GC as their club of choice three weeks out from trade period prior to now? It’s imperative that they get this deal done from a PR perspective as well. I’m confident that if we really want to land Houston, we can make it happen

Any goss come out of the Copeland last night? There are usually a few snippets that pop up on here after the night in relation to player movement.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Hearing Scott Pendlebury might be considering a trade to get him and his wife as far away from Roaming BT's antics after last night display

Collingwood give: Noble, Richards, F1
Collingwood receive: Houston

GC give: Lukosious, 13
GC receive: Noble, F1 (pies) pick 39 (Port)

Port give: Houston, pick 39
Port receive: Lukosious, Richards, pick 13

Who says no?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back