List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

A 27 year old dual All Australian with deadly disposal who averages over 20 possessions off the half backline could set us up for another tilt at a flag. I’m saying it’s worth the trade.

With our game style I’m imagining the carnage he’d cause as a Pie.

He does actually. Josh Daicos had to be moved to HBF late this year to help our offensive transition because Noble and Markov each had issues. Houston is arguably the best HBF in terms of offensive transition with his run and disposal. Allows Josh to go back to the wing were he managed to snare a Copeland and AA honors in 2023. Houston is also a better 1v1 defender than all of Noble, Markov and Jaicos so you you improve defensive capacity of the back 6.
Houston replaces Nick's role from 2022. The consistent quick release from the backline that we have been missing since he went into the midfield.

He does actually. Josh Daicos had to be moved to HBF late this year to help our offensive transition because Noble and Markov each had issues. Houston is arguably the best HBF in terms of offensive transition with his run and disposal. Allows Josh to go back to the wing were he managed to snare a Copeland and AA honors in 2023. Houston is also a better 1v1 defender than all of Noble, Markov and Jaicos so you you improve defensive capacity of the back 6.
Agreed. With Nick destined to play mid, we definitely need another elite kicker in the back half, to move the ball quickly through the corridor.

If key forward depth is still of concern, Sam Day is still a delisted free agent after genuinely having his best season in years. Not sure why the Suns chopped him for Himmelberg.

He’s arguably a better option for the best 23 than Cox as the third tall/secondary ruck position.

I dunno b too much anout this part if the game, so twll me if im off the track here.

If we want Houston we have to trade gold. Noble is good, a c who plays like a b , Richards is a nice prospect. They don't get us halfway. You can't stack up you 20th and 25th best player and be like "eh that's close to our 10th best".

We want the AA halfback, we need to trade out a high b player minimum to sweeten our picks because our picks are terrible.

There's a bunch who are too old to trade.

Theres Daicos who is too good to trade.

Too damaging to trade the captain.

So it has to be someone like Darcy Cameron or Maynard, an actual quality player. Not sure Quaynor gets it done, or Beau.

I don't want to lose any of those but I feel like to get the deal done we will have to trade out someone really good.
Nah. We're not trading any of those players out. Our ruckman who just came second in the Copeland? Defenders? When we need to hold onto what we have.

Noble has requested a trade. Richards has an offer from Port. They can be part of any trade for Houston.

No need to lose any more of our quality players to get one in.

Otherwise Port can keep Houston or get a deal done with North. As long as he doesn't go to Carlscum.

Nah. We're not trading any of those players out. Our ruckman who just came second in the Copeland? Defenders? When we need to hold onto what we have.

Noble has requested a trade. Richards has an offer from Port. They can be part of any trade for Houston.

No need to lose any more of our quality players to get one in.
I agree, i dont want the current list traded out. My point is, what we have cannot reasonably get Houston in.

Port surely aren't stupid enough to trade the AA HBF to a rival for 2 not best 18 players and some change.

I agree, i dont want the current list traded out. My point is, what we have cannot reasonably get Houston in.

Port surely aren't stupid enough to trade the AA HBF to a rival for 2 not best 18 players and some change.
Port may want picks instead of a player they've shown no interest in, who happens to be more important to us than them.

If picks can be part of a trade involving Noble/Richards/other clubs & players, it can be done that way.

We know Port want Richards. That's a good starting point for us. No need to give them another player off our list. Particularly not wanting to give them one of our best 22 players.

I don't think we're that desperate for Houston that we'd consider trading out any of our own defenders to get him. We'd want him to compliment what we already have. We're likely already losing Noble.

Last edited:
Chill, I didn’t say he was actually injury prone, just that he had some soft tissue injuries this year which could be a concern.
Never said he was a regular on the sidelines, that was someone else.
Nah you just chimed in to back up the guy who said he was “always injured” after I responded that he was wrong. You then incorrectly referred to the pec injury as a “soft tissue injury” as if it’s an old man injury like a hammy or a calf. And you’re still doing it despite having it pointed out to you that in reality it was a freak contact injury

Assuming you’re referring to Richards and Lukosious, what makes you think that Port Adelaide would offer a 3 year (4 with a trigger) and 6 year deal to two players who they don’t regard as being in their best 18?

From my view a 3 way deal for Huston that nets them two best 22 players they were actively chasing in addition to a first rounder is far more palatable than two first round draft picks that may or may not become busts…

Tom Mitchell is the primary reason we won the flag in 2023

Tom Mitchell missing is the primary reason we didn’t make finals in 2024

You think a fit Tom Mitchell is an emergency in 2025?

Mate…

Mate...

TBH was just posting that to show how strong our core squad of 25/26 would be. if Mitchell if fully fit and in form, then yes, I would agree he would be in the side.

But let's not paint some picture that Mitchell is the 'primary' reason for our success and failure over the past 2 years. I agree that we missed him this year and I marvelled at his performance in the grand final last year. But he was on the fringes late in 2023 and was frequently subbed in and out of games (which sure, you can argue may have been injury related). If fully fit and in form, he is a good role player for us, but not the 'primary reason' for our success and failure.

TOP PICKS ON TABLE

NORTH Melbourne's No.2 pick and West Coast's No.3 selection are on the table as trade chips as clubs contemplate moves up the draft board.

The Roos have been open to splitting the pick for another top-10 selection and a future first-round choice, while the Eagles have dangled their top choice in a mix of trade possibilities as they look to boost their draft hand whilst also securing trade target Liam Baker.

Clubs are aware of both options, with the evenness of the 2024 crop meaning those with early selections are looking at ways to add more capital to their draft hands.

North is also among the clubs to have put forward its future first-round pick to try to buy back into this year's top-end, with the selection also on the table as the Roos chase Port Adelaide star Dan Houston.
The Eagles have placed pick three in the trade mix, with a number of clubs eyeing ways to include the selection as part of deals that send players different ways.

With Gold Coast having pick No.6 on the table for Daniel Rioli, and the out-of-contract Baker wanting to join the Eagles, the possibility of pick No.3 being involved in in a mix that would see the Eagles get a pick go back their way and be able to land Baker has also been raised.

But other avenues to split the pick into multiple choices also exist, particularly with the Eagles set on pick 14 from the Hawks coming their way as part of the Tom Barrass deal.
St Kilda looms as a target for clubs looking to slide back or trade up the board after the Saints nabbed pick No.8 for their Josh Battle free agency compensation, giving them picks No.7 and 8.

The Giants will also consider shifting up the order given their hand now – picks 15, 16 and 21 – following the compensation picks for Harry Perryman and Isaac Cumming.

They didn't prioritise it in last year's draft, preferring to take a fairly middling midfielder/flanker at their first pick and then just wait around for all of the key forwards they rated to get selected before their second pick.

From a behind the scenes on draft night for us last year: "If Archer Reid and Logan Morris are still on the board at the Saints’ pick, which sits at 33, Wright says they’d be prepared to hand pick 37 and a future third round selection over to nab one of the talls."

Seems like, if you had an accurate read on how rare and valued tall forwards are, and you were prepared to draft one of them at #33 overall, then you should probably just take them at #25, and assume that you'll still be able to get a flanker in the 30s.

I just want the club to, at some point, overload on talls and be bemoaning the fact that we simply don't have any flankers on our list. I want them to get into that predicament just to see what it feels like.
Where can I see the behind the scenes footage from the draft? I must have missed this.

On SM-F731B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Here is what will happen.

We will give our F1 and Noble to GC for their pick 13 and F3.
We will then give 13 and Richards (and probably R3) to Port for Houston.
We sign Tomlinson.
We then win the 2025 flag.

Quaynor, Tomlinson, Howe
Houston, Moore, Maynard
J Daics, Perryman, Crisp
Schultz, Mihocek, McCreery
Elliott, McStay, Hill
Cameron, De Goey, N Daics
Cox, Pendles, Sidebottom, Mitchell. Sub: WHE.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dunno b too much anout this part if the game, so twll me if im off the track here.

If we want Houston we have to trade gold. Noble is good, a c who plays like a b , Richards is a nice prospect. They don't get us halfway. You can't stack up you 20th and 25th best player and be like "eh that's close to our 10th best".

We want the AA halfback, we need to trade out a high b player minimum to sweeten our picks because our picks are terrible.

There's a bunch who are too old to trade.

Theres Daicos who is too good to trade.

Too damaging to trade the captain.

So it has to be someone like Darcy Cameron or Maynard, an actual quality player. Not sure Quaynor gets it done, or Beau.

I don't want to lose any of those but I feel like to get the deal done we will have to trade out someone really good.
You are off track here 😊

Mate...

TBH was just posting that to show how strong our core squad of 25/26 would be. if Mitchell if fully fit and in form, then yes, I would agree he would be in the side.

But let's not paint some picture that Mitchell is the 'primary' reason for our success and failure over the past 2 years. I agree that we missed him this year and I marvelled at his performance in the grand final last year. But he was on the fringes late in 2023 and was frequently subbed in and out of games (which sure, you can argue may have been injury related). If fully fit and in form, he is a good role player for us, but not the 'primary reason' for our success and failure.
He was

In 2022 we were intentionally a back half side because we planned for losing clearances

Hence we targeted Mitchell to improve our clearance situation

He took us from bottom 3 in clearances to like Top 3 or 5

He is 100% the main reason we won the flag in 2023. Did you also notice how much our midfield got destroyed without him this year?

Just a coincidence?

Mate...

Mitchell was being rested so he was primed for finals as well as resting any niggles he had. He's best 22 if he gets over his planter injury.
As far as your remark on Mitchell being a role player, you just don't see his work rate and how crucial he is, in & under. Deadset!

He was

In 2022 we were intentionally a back half side because we planned for losing clearances

He is 100% the main reason we won the flag in 2023. Did you also notice how much our midfield got destroyed without him this year?

Just a coincidence?

‘The main reason’ is a stretch. Even in your example the main reason goes back to coaching and correctly identifying gaps in list management.

But absolutely there is a massive domino effect from Mitchell playing as a key part of our midfield. Gets to the ball first more often than not, frees up other attacking mids like Nick, significantly slows down the opposition clearance game and often their prime inside mid, allowing our defence to set up. It’s not just him by himself but as part of a system.

Like you, when he went down to injury in short succession to Jordy I pretty much wrote down the season. Pendles and Sidey are too old to do the job except in stints or with extra support, Crisp is often needed elsewhere so our inside midfield was pretty much Nick and no-one else.

I think Mitchell doesn’t do flashy things and because his past involves being the highest of highest accumulators his typical 20-25d games with us are brushed over in comparison, without understanding that they are low possession games by design. Even his GF performance has been hugely underrated (our top clearance player that day and ended up with 13 tackles which is 7 more than the best Lion player who’s a defender!).

That said, next year, assuming a healthy midfield comprising Nick, Jordy, Pendles, Perryman, Sidey and other fill ins, I think we can win the flag without Mitchell should he get injured or deemed too slow at some point in the season.

He was

Just a coincidence?

I agree that Mitchell was a great pick up and played a good role last season, but I won't agree that he is the 'primary' reason we won the flag and the primary reason we didn't make finals. He played a small, but important role in both.

The main reason for our drop-off this season was due a collective injury problem to key players (DeGoey, Elliott, Mihocek, Murphy, McStay, Pendlebury AND Mitchell) through crucial stretches of the season and a significant drop in form to other key players (EG: Moore, Quaynor).

The loss & playing through injury of DeGoey (who was our number 1 clearance player in 2023) alone for example was far more impactful on our side this season than the loss of Mitchell if you are going to isolate a single player as a 'primary reason'.

I am not saying Mitchell is not a valuable player, but he is not the 'primary reason' for our success last and failure this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back