List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives:

Big increase to the cap.
Losing Noble 400k.
Murphy 450K
Adams last year 500k
Alot of our older players have signed 1 year contracts for less. Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Howe, Cox and Mitchell (1 left).
We will free up the Treloar money after this year (Would help with rear-ending contracts)

Negatives

850 added for Perryman.
A similar amount for Houston.
Still paying treloar 2025 and Grundy to 2027.
I thought Treloar was done. He just signed a new contract didn't he?
I would be shocked if Adams was only on $500k. In fact, I think it was reported as being significantly more than that.

If we can get Houston at $850k pa, that would be a bargain for a guy who is AA.

It’s a combination of who’s being added past present and future.

We’ve got a large number of players who are due to leave us prior to 2027 - both those who are currently 31+ as well as those who are currently fringe and unlikely to be with us long term.

How are we going to replace them all?

Perryman is one replacement.
Let’s assume McGuane is another
Let’s assume for the purpose of the exercise Houston is another
Let’s also assume HDM, TJ, Allan, Smidt and Parker develop and become solid citizens.
Let’s also assume Harrison makes a good recovery from his ACL.
Let’s also assume we don’t have any more major injuries.

So even under very optimistic assumptions that’s still not nearly enough.

We don’t have much in the way of draft capital this year to pick up much.

We won’t have much in the way of draft capital next year to pick much up either (we would have spent that getting Houston and points for McGuane)

And unless we get our hands on another Nick Daicos, whoever we pick up in the 2026 draft isn’t going to contribute much to 2027.

I’m curious to see how we make it work.
If we could win a flag in 2025 we may have to be courageous afterwards and trade out some senior talent to create the opportunity to bring in some younger talent.

A lot of finger wagging from Sam Edmund towards us on how things unfolded with Noble.
It’s a strange narrative the media is pushing really. It’s like they decided to tack “he’s still upset about missing the grand final” on to the reasons he’s leaving despite the man himself saying he has no hard feelings and is happy to stay at the pies if a suitable trade can’t be made.

Positives:

Big increase to the cap.
Losing Noble 400k.
Murphy 450K
Adams last year 500k
Alot of our older players have signed 1 year contracts for less. Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Howe, Cox and Mitchell (1 left).
We will free up the Treloar money after this year (Would help with rear-ending contracts)

Negatives

850 added for Perryman.
A similar amount for Houston.
Still paying treloar 2025 and Grundy to 2027.
Need to add Cap up by 25% is imminent.

I doubt he will be depth at Port.
I'd expect him to be in their starting 22, and that is what they would have sold him on.

Davies is just trying to talk his value down.
Nah, was clarified later in the thread. Davies didn’t label him as depth, he said they needed depth in the position Joe plays, which he’d be saying even if they were targeting the best small forward in the league. They have Rioli and then almost nothing in regards to that type of player.

We’ve got a large number of players who are due to leave us prior to 2027 - both those who are currently 31+ as well as those who are currently fringe and unlikely to be with us long term.

Let’s also assume HDM, TJ, Allan, Smidt and Parker develop and become solid citizens.

We won’t have much in the way of draft capital next year to pick much up either (we would have spent that getting Houston and points for McGuane)

And unless we get our hands on another Nick Daicos, whoever we pick up in the 2026 draft isn’t going to contribute much to 2027.

Really well put 76. I’m not a huge Cornes fan but I think this is his point. We would be trading away for the now (in a super draft with compromised drafts to come); which is bold but probably necessary for us in the window. Our under 23 list isn’t that great outside of Nick.

I’m all for going for it and trying to deal with future years when we need to.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think you underestimate how quickly you can build a team with free agency, trading, Cat B as well as the draft (including rookie selections).

They don't need to be all stars.

I think the bigger risk is having pick 13 and he amounts to be nothing more than an average player, when you had a chance to pick up a proven 27 yr old AA who is currently at the top of his game.

McGuane seems to be a top 10 (possibly higher) talent that we get to bring in.

Hawthorn have got nothing out of their top 6 picks, apart from Watson in the last draft.
Granger-Barass, Ward, Mackenzie were all top 6 picks and very underwhelming.

It is a mid-season draft player, later picks, free agents, and trading in last year of guys like Chol and D'ambrosia and a system which has seen them improve this season.

It's never as bad as it seems. 12 months is a long time in football.

As for the tigers, the last time they had so many 1st round draft picks they ended up with:

1. Deldio
4. Tambling
12. Meyer
16. Pattison
20. Polo

Max King signs an 8 yr deal at the Saints.
Anyone checking in on Cornes?

Heard we aren’t getting Houston

As a biased Collingwood supporter, I'm go to go with my confirmation bias and remain hopeful that we're getting him based on Anzacday's guy who told him we're getting Tom Mitchell, now telling him we're getting Houston

Soz

Collingwood, Port and Gold Coast are not talking in the one room about a three-way deal yet, but that is the net effect of negotiations on the eve of a busy trade period, with the Magpies presently favourites to secure Port’s half-back flanker Dan Houston.

The incentive for Gold Coast to bring in John Noble and ease the path for Port to trade for Jack Lukosius from the Suns moved the Magpies into favoured trader status for the Suns highly prized selection 13, a pick that, were the Magpies to secure it, they would seek to pass on to Port in a deal for Houston.

A long line of clubs are offering deals for pick 13 as one of the few early draft picks available for trade in a strong draft.

Richmond has also already said they want an extraordinary deal for them to be agree to Daniel Rioli’s request to be traded to the Gold Coast and has asked for the Suns’ picks six and 13.

What happens with pick 13 is thus becoming critical to what will unfold in the 10 days of the trade period, which opens on Monday at AFL house.

In preliminary talks the Magpies have offered Noble and their future first round pick to the Suns for picks 13, 20 and 26, a volume of picks that is unlikely to be successful given the competition in bidding for pick 13.

The Magpies would look to pass on 13 and 20 and most likely forward pocket Joe Richards to the Power for Houston.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The group of players likely to leave us prior to 2027 is as below, as far as I can see:
  • Pendlebury
  • Sidebottom
  • Howe
  • Cox
  • Elliott
  • Mitchell
  • Mihocek
  • Hoskin-Elliott
Houston is currently better than any of those on that list. Perryman probably will be by next year.

I don't know why the idea is that if we're not adding lots through the draft, we won't improve nor add to the list at all. Our '23 premiership team included:
  • 9 players traded in from other clubs
  • 3 Father-Son selections
  • 1 Academy selection
  • 1 Texan
  • 8 players over 30 (including 2 of our first round picks)
  • 1 Rookie pick
  • 2 players taken from picks 30-39
  • 1 player taken in the 3rd round
We have done pretty well with non-draft pathways, particularly outside the first round.

Collingwood, Port and Gold Coast are not talking in the one room about a three-way deal yet, but that is the net effect of negotiations on the eve of a busy trade period, with the Magpies presently favourites to secure Port’s half-back flanker Dan Houston.

The incentive for Gold Coast to bring in John Noble and ease the path for Port to trade for Jack Lukosius from the Suns moved the Magpies into favoured trader status for the Suns highly prized selection 13, a pick that, were the Magpies to secure it, they would seek to pass on to Port in a deal for Houston.

A long line of clubs are offering deals for pick 13 as one of the few early draft picks available for trade in a strong draft.

Richmond has also already said they want an extraordinary deal for them to be agree to Daniel Rioli’s request to be traded to the Gold Coast and has asked for the Suns’ picks six and 13.

What happens with pick 13 is thus becoming critical to what will unfold in the 10 days of the trade period, which opens on Monday at AFL house.

In preliminary talks the Magpies have offered Noble and their future first round pick to the Suns for picks 13, 20 and 26, a volume of picks that is unlikely to be successful given the competition in bidding for pick 13.

The Magpies would look to pass on 13 and 20 and most likely forward pocket Joe Richards to the Power for Houston.
mr burns GIF

Where’s this article from PS?

Interesting that port somehow has an incentive to make the supposed Luko salary dump easier eh sr36 ?

Why wouldn't you post the link or provide some sentences to capture the jist of what Sam Edmund is saying?
He trapped Lucas into suggesting we overpaid on Perryman and then insinuated Noble’s omission in the 2023 finals was the main driver behind him leaving.

I felt the Perryman stuff was a masterclass in asking the right questions in the right order by first asking how keen he was to stay at the Giants then suggesting/ asking if he’d have stayed (given the love of club) had GWS offered something similar to Collingwood. It trapped Lucas into either backpedaling on the comments he just made or acknowledging the GWS offer was nowhere near ours. Lucas tried to fob it off, but his answer pretty much acknowledged we blew GWS out of the water.

The Noble stuff was basically Edmund baiting Lucas into suggesting the 2023 omission was the main factor in his departure and Lucas fell into it. It was a pretty blatant attempt to suggest Collingwood didn’t value Noble which is why he’s leaving, IMO. The unsaid suggestion of the Noble discussion was that he’s not worth the price we’ve got on his head…

There won’t be a link to it and I think it’s fair to assume that a lot of posters listen to Trade Radio so the information would have come out through osmosis without your direct question. PS was right with the comment, but mad respect to Edmund for the way he set the interview up.

Edit: in regards to the bold. It looks like trade radio has a catch up podcast type thing going on and football god shares the link in the next few pages if you’d like to listen to the interview in full 👍

Last edited:

That's actually not horrible if it were to eventuate?

We even manage to upgrade our pick 30 something in that scenario

Over the previous 2 trade periods we added 6 mature players.

Including this one, there's 3 more trade periods to come before 2027. We'll continue to add mature players.

We're quite simply not going to be able to replace the retirees in time with draftees

The group of players likely to leave us prior to 2027 is as below, as far as I can see:
  • Pendlebury
  • Sidebottom
  • Howe
  • Cox
  • Elliott
  • Mitchell
  • Mihocek
  • Hoskin-Elliott
Houston is currently better than any of those on that list. Perryman probably will be by next year.

I don't know why the idea is that if we're not adding lots through the draft, we won't improve nor add to the list at all. Our '23 premiership team included:
  • 9 players traded in from other clubs
  • 3 Father-Son selections
  • 1 Academy selection
  • 1 Texan
  • 8 players over 30 (including 2 of our first round picks)
  • 1 Rookie pick
  • 2 players taken from picks 30-39
  • 1 player taken in the 3rd round
We have done pretty well with non-draft pathways, particularly outside the first round.

I think what's being forgotten by many (mostly in the meeja) in all this is how well we seem to be timing it.

Yes, we have a shit tonne of over 30s that are most likely going to retire at the end of 2026.

But not only are we bringing in a genuine young talent in McGuane at the end of next year, we'll be freeing up a shit tonne of cap space with all the retirements at the same time that there's going to be a shit tonne of high quality restrcited free agents for us to throw that money at.

So we're likely planning to replace roughly half those 30 year old retirees with 2-3 gun 25-26 year olds and a gun 19 year old

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back