List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you underestimate how quickly you can build a team with free agency, trading, Cat B as well as the draft (including rookie selections).

Cat B? - how many solid Cat B contributors have we ever had? I count one.

Free Agency? - Free Agents take a lot of money out of the salary cap, so that effectively limits the number that can be taken. And the selection pool is very small.

Trading? - the challenge there is that you need currency to trade with. Sure, we could try to trade players like Maynard to get good value back. The problem with that is it would mean we no longer have players like Maynard on our list.

Draft? - Sure, you could pick up diamonds in the rough with our late picks, but that takes time and a lot of luck.

And then you hope they want to stay (unlike Henry, Ginnivan and likely Richards)

Really well put 76. Iā€™m not a huge Cornes fan but I think this is his point. We would be trading away for the now (in a super draft with compromised drafts to come); which is bold but probably necessary for us in the window. Our under 23 list isnā€™t that great outside of Nick.

Iā€™m all for going for it and trying to deal with future years when we need to.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We need to wake up to ourselves here. A Dan Houston isn't going to deliver us a premiership. Drafting high delivers you a premiership. Look at Brisbane. The difference between last year and this year was Ashcroft and Lohman. Those sorts of players deliver you premierships. While Dan Houston would be handy, the price we pay is far too high for someone who isn't a match winning mid. Perryman will be handy. He will play as a defensive mid mainly off the half back line. That will solve the Murphy issue. Shultz really is just a replacement for Elliot. We should never have given away a first round draft pick for him. We have brazenly given away too many high draft picks and those we used mostly have been poor choices. That's why we're precariously positioned over the edge of a cliff and about to fall over, like Richmond have, unless we find replacements in the midfield for Pendlebury, Sidebottom and Mitchell.

Really well put 76. Iā€™m not a huge Cornes fan but I think this is his point. We would be trading away for the now (in a super draft with compromised drafts to come); which is bold but probably necessary for us in the window. Our under 23 list isnā€™t that great outside of Nick.

Iā€™m all for going for it and trying to deal with future years when we need to.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I think 76 is making some reasonable points and missing the mark on others and I love what Cornes brings to the media landscape, but his latest tirade against us has skewed too far toward hate on the basis of Collingwood gazumping Port (first with Perryman and then Houston).

76ā€™s analysis which you quoted completely ignored any player drafted between 2024 and 2026 going on to be a ā€œhitā€ (aside from McGuane) and any player acquired through trade or FA. There will be guys that bob up out of nowhere and others that fall off a cliff and if, as has been speculated, this is the draft of all drafts then whatā€™s stopping us from winding up with 3-4 picks in the 30-50 range? We currently have one and a second that will be in there post FS and Academy bids. Our draft hand wonā€™t be strong, but the beauty of a strong draft is you can find hits anywhere.

In regards to Cornes a lot of his angst is revolving around the Perryman contract. He ****ing hates it and whilst Iā€™m not a fan itā€™s not the issue he seems to be making of it. IMO, a number of posters arenā€™t ready for the Stephen A Smith style of sports commentary Cornes is aspiring to and heā€™s admitted he added mayo in the past (his Moore comments specifically). The guts of his latest take, for me at least, is he doesnā€™t want see Houston at Collingwood.

I'm sure it has already been reported that Noble considered requesting a trade at the end of last year.

It probably doesn't matter if it was due to potentially being disgruntled (unconfirmed), for family reasons or otherwise... because he obviously decided to stick around with hopes we'd go back to back and this time he'd be involved.

If you're truly disgruntled you don't stick around. You pack your bags and request a trade straight away.

We need to wake up to ourselves here. A Dan Houston isn't going to deliver us a premiership. Drafting high delivers you a premiership. Look at Brisbane. The difference between last year and this year was Ashcroft and Lohman. Those sorts of players deliver you premierships. While Dan Houston would be handy, the price we pay is far too high for someone who isn't a match winning mid. Perryman will be handy. He will play as a defensive mid mainly off the half back line. That will solve the Murphy issue. Shultz really is just a replacement for Elliot. We should never have given away a first round draft pick for him. We have brazenly given away too many high draft picks and those we used mostly have been poor choices. That's why we're precariously positioned over the edge of a cliff and about to fall over, like Richmond have, unless we find replacements in the midfield for Pendlebury, Sidebottom and Mitchell.

I'd argue Daniher, Neale, Ah Chee and Dunkley were just as important as Lohnmann and Ashcroft lol...

He trapped Lucas into suggesting we overpaid on Perryman and then insinuated Nobleā€™s omission in the 2023 finals was the main driver behind him leaving.

I felt the Perryman stuff was a masterclass in asking the right questions in the right order by first asking how keen he was to stay at the Giants then suggesting/ asking if heā€™d have stayed (given the love of club) had GWS offered something similar to Collingwood. It trapped Lucas into either backpedaling on the comments he just made or acknowledging the GWS offer was nowhere near ours. Lucas tried to fob it off, but his answer pretty much acknowledged we blew GWS out of the water.

The Noble stuff was basically Edmund baiting Lucas into suggesting the 2023 omission was the main factor in his departure and Lucas fell into it. It was a pretty blatant attempt to suggest Collingwood didnā€™t value Noble which is why heā€™s leaving, IMO. The unsaid suggestion of the Noble discussion was that heā€™s not worth the price weā€™ve got on his headā€¦

There wonā€™t be a link to it and I think itā€™s fair to assume that a lot of posters listen to Trade Radio so the information would have come out through osmosis without your direct question. PS was right with the comment, but mad respect to Edmund for the way he set the interview up.

Free Agency? - Free Agents take a lot of money out of the salary cap, so that effectively limits the number that can be taken. And the selection pool is very small.

Trading? - the challenge there is that you need currency to trade with. Sure, we could try to trade players like Maynard to get good value back. The problem with that is it would mean we no longer have players like Maynard on our list.

Draft? - Sure, you could pick up diamonds in the rough with our late picks, but that takes time and a lot of luck.

And then you hope they want to stay (unlike Henry, Ginnivan and likely Richards)
I don't think anyone is relying on Cat B as a serious source of reliable talent.

We are going to have some significant cap space, so worrying about the impacts of free agent signings seems bizarre. Especially when your (apparent) primary concern is talent acquisition.

There are so many examples of not having to send out much to get major returns in trading. Crisp, Cameron, Mitchell, Hill, Lipinski, and so on, all for very little.

We have a good record of making strong selections in the lower portions of the draft.

I thought Treloar was done. He just signed a new contract didn't he?
I would be shocked if Adams was only on $500k. In fact, I think it was reported as being significantly more than that.

If we can get Houston at $850k pa, that would be a bargain for a guy who is AA.
We owed Treloar 5 years of payments. 2021-2025. That doesn't mean we haven't already payed it off but if I was a beating man I would say we still owe him one more payment of about 250k.
Houston is currently being underpayed at Port. Signed a deal before getting AA and mostly wants to get back to Victoria. I think he will get a nice bump and he is worth a lot but I feel his main priority is just getting home. Hence my guess of 850K.

I'm sure it has already been reported that Noble considered requesting a trade at the end of last year.

It probably doesn't matter if it was due to potentially being disgruntled (unconfirmed), for family reasons or otherwise... because he obviously decided to stick around with hopes we'd go back to back and this time he'd be involved.

If you're truly disgruntled you don't stick around. You pack your bags and request a trade straight away.
So I guess he is just gruntled?

Who won our Norm Smith medal last year? Did we draft that bloke? What about the guy who shut down Neale? Drafted? Our ruck? Our vice-captain? The most durable player in our history?

Seems very silly to claim that drafting high is what wins flags. I am pretty sure it is well assembled teams that win flags actually.

Richmond are the new Essendon not even Dodo would ask for 6 and 13 for Rioli. FMD I wouldnā€™t give up pick 6 for him let alone anything on top of that
If Rioli is worth pick 6 (and 13?), then where does that place Huston's value?

Youā€™re right, weā€™re ****ed and shouldnā€™t try anything!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who won our Norm Smith medal last year? Did we draft that bloke? What about the guy who shut down Neale? Drafted? Our ruck? Our vice-captain? The most durable player in our history?

Seems very silly to claim that drafting high is what wins flags. I am pretty sure it is well assembled teams that win flags actually.
Referring to Ashcroft is a bit rich given heā€™s a f/s and normally only accessible to the bottom 2 clubs. Lohman at pick 20 again just proves the lottery of the draft outside the top 10

The group of players likely to leave us prior to 2027 is as below, as far as I can see:
  • Pendlebury
  • Sidebottom
  • Howe
  • Cox
  • Elliott
  • Mitchell
  • Mihocek
  • Hoskin-Elliott

Thatā€™s not even half of them.

• Krueger
  • Frampton
  • Macrae
  • Ryan
  • Bytel
  • Sullivan
  • Eyre
  • Markov
  • Johnson
  • Dean
  • Long
  • One or two out of Steene, Smidt, Allan, Harrison, Parker, DeMattia, and TJ

Sure, theyā€™re not best 23 today, but with an aging list we rely on the 23 to 40 group and for us to improve theyā€™ll all need to be replaced somehow.

The difference was a pick 20 and a high end father son? Cool weā€™ve got that covered.

I think you are completely wrong!

Brions didnt draft Lache Neale, Dunkley, Daniher, Charlie Cameron either šŸ˜¬

I think 9 of our premiership 23 were first round picks or their equivalent. Means 14 were not drafted particularly high.

We beat Brisbane round 23, we are very close to the mark.

Thatā€™s not even half of them.

• Krueger
  • Frampton
  • Macrae
  • Ryan
  • Bytel
  • Sullivan
  • Eyre
  • Markov
  • Johnson
  • Dean
  • Long
  • One or two out of Steene, Smidt, Allan, Harrison, Parker, DeMattia, and TJ

Sure, theyā€™re not best 23 today, but with an aging list we rely on the 23 to 40 group and for us to improve theyā€™ll all need to be replaced somehow.
I was pretty clearly referring to the players who are any good. Who cares about losing easily replaceable ones?

The panic merchants really come out the woodwork this time of year. I hoped we would have grown out of the days when we shit ourselves and cost us flags by panicking over taking blokes like Lockett and Quinlan. This is 2024 and things are completely different these days. Back the club in when it comes to our list, we have a good bunch of people, who know what their doing. Let them do what they do best

The reality is, without Nick Daicos we wouldnā€™t have won last yearā€™s premiership. Thatā€™s drafting high. You can fluke it once in a while, like we did with Dane Swan, but otherwise itā€™s those draft picks between one and 10 that deliver you a premiership.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back