List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't see us getting pick 13.
Houston correct me if I am wrong still has a contract with Port.
Port won't let him go unless they get overs, or part of the Lukosious deal which is there primary target.
At worst let's get draft picks in the bank, and try and get as much as we can for Noble and Richards.
Not bloody compromise our draft for next year.

Who won our Norm Smith medal last year? Did we draft that bloke? What about the guy who shut down Neale? Drafted? Our ruck? Our vice-captain? The most durable player in our history?

Seems very silly to claim that drafting high is what wins flags. I am pretty sure it is well assembled teams that win flags actually.
Itā€™s a well balanced combination, sometimes you just play with the cards your dealt. Draft, trade, free agency, the delisted, Father Sons and academy are all part of the strategy. If we keep finishing high the draft has a lesser impact, if we finish bottom then a number 1 has a very high chance of a successful outcome.

Not one strategy is the right one for all Clubs at any given moment in time.

Little miffed with Richards.

We upped our offer to 3 years off the back of 9 games.

Nobody gets offers like that with such a small sample size of footy played at senior level that weren't an elite junior.

Clearly was in our plans and didn't want to repay the club that drafted him.

Unless the $$$ Port were offering was insanely more, really disappointed.

(1) I want to understand it.

If somebody said ā€œHey ā€˜76, thereā€™s a secret AFL Commission plan where theyā€™re changing the game to 12 a side, and will cut list sizes down to 30ā€ ā€¦

ā€¦ it would then all make sense and Iā€™d be all good.

(2) I like to manage expectations.

2022 was the most enjoyable AFL season - by far. We had finished 17th the previous season. New coach. Expectations were zero.

And then we go and win the 2023 Premiership and we now start expecting a dynasty from a Dadā€™a army of 30+ players?

Look at how Carlton got to where they are today - expecting they can win a Premiership every season by taking short cuts. Essendon are even more tragic - expecting they can make finals every season by taking short cuts.
Not sure thereā€™s any relevance to comparing us to Carl or Ess given unlike both, weā€™ve successfully been making finals Top4, PFā€™s, GFā€™s and winning flags.

Cat B? - how many solid Cat B contributors have we ever had? I count one.
2. Cox and Clark. But I like the look of the current 2 we have on the list.
Free Agency? - Free Agents take a lot of money out of the salary cap, so that effectively limits the number that can be taken. And the selection pool is very small.
True about the money, but I think the key is that you time them with freeing up cap space. I think we Free up a lot of cap space over the next 1-3 years.

Trading? - the challenge there is that you need currency to trade with. Sure, we could try to trade players like Maynard to get good value back. The problem with that is it would mean we no longer have players like Maynard on our list.
It depends. Mitchell, Hill, Frampton, Markov cost minimum chips and were perfect for us. Jolly and Ball cost more for the time but also worked. I think the key is targeting the right players. It certainly can backfire like Beams 2.0.

Draft? - Sure, you could pick up diamonds in the rough with our late picks, but that takes time and a lot of luck.

And then you hope they want to stay (unlike Henry, Ginnivan and likely Richards)
The draft is always a lottery but we do okay with our late picks: Maxwell, Toovey, Mihocek, Ginnivan are all rookie or former rookie listed premiership players. Noble was unlucky.

Little miffed with Richards.

We upped our offer to 3 years off the back of 9 games.

Nobody gets offers like that with such a small sample size of footy played at senior level that weren't an elite junior.

Clearly was in our plans and didn't want to repay the club that drafted him.

Unless the $$$ Port were offering was insanely more, really disappointed.
We only upped our offer once HH went down for a long period. Bizarre that players are held to standards of 'loyalty' that the club isn't

I was pretty clearly referring to the players who are any good. Who cares about losing easily replaceable ones?

The reason we didnā€™t play finals in 2024 has nothing to do with players 1 ā€¦ 23.

And weā€™ll likely need to rely heavily on our 23+ players over the next few seasons as we transition away from our aging player base.

When we lose player like Mihocek to injury (as happens), and a fit Johnson canā€™t justify selection (or a fit McInnis or Krueger canā€™t justify a contract extension) weā€™re in trouble.

Ditto Mitchell getting injured and we replace him with a player who canā€™t justify a contract extension (yet)

Ditto losing Murphy to concussion and not really having any satisfactory backup options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Noble excuse for leaving has totally flipped to what we were sold few weeks ago.
The old my family is up there excuse has now become about security in the side and it shifts all the way back to last years GF.
Itā€™s a sad situation as the bitterness over last year has not subsided and I think Noble only hung around due to the fact he thought we may snare another one this year.
It becomes quite difficult to ascertain the real truth, The club would be giving feedback to Noble about where he sits, he would know that the whole time, the issue seems to be he doesnā€™t believe or trust hat the club is saying.
Itā€™s probably a matter of the trust is gone and nobody is really at fault.

The reason we didnā€™t play finals in 2024 has nothing to do with players 1 ā€¦ 23.

And weā€™ll likely need to rely heavily on our 23+ players over the next few seasons as we transition away from our aging player base.

When we lose player like Mihocek to injury (as happens), and a fit Johnson canā€™t justify selection (or a fit McInnis or Krueger canā€™t justify a contract extension) weā€™re in trouble.

Ditto Mitchell getting injured and we replace him with a player who canā€™t justify a contract extension (yet)

Ditto losing Murphy to concussion and not really having any satisfactory backup options.
What list would have weathered the injuries we suffered this year? Does it exist?

What is your point? It seems confused. Do you want us to have more draft selections, more depth, or a strong 23? What do you want us to do?

So with Joe officially requesting a trade, the first piece of the Houston puzzle is put in place

It's genuinely sad to lose Richards (I personally prefer him over Schultz), but if it means getting Houston then it's ultimately for the best
Schultz is leagues better than Joe and I really like Joe.

We only upped our offer once HH went down for a long period. Bizarre that players are held to standards of 'loyalty' that the club isn't
THIS!
Been saying that every trade period.
My little miss 13 is all over the trade period, she's always amazed how the media hold players to loyalty standards but not the clubs. I've told her, it's buisness, that's it.
Then she makes fun of Kochy saying business. Hilarious stuff/

You
So with Joe officially requesting a trade, the first piece of the Houston puzzle is put in place

It's genuinely sad to lose Richards (I personally prefer him over Schultz), but if it means getting Houston then it's ultimately for the best
You prefer Richards over Schultz? Blimey!
Joe was gone on Friday night; it was the perfect occasion to commit; what more appropriate occasion could there be for him? When he failed to make an announcement it seemed certain he was gone. If it assists us in landing a top tier player, then good luck to him.

I think most of us expected it.
He'll get more opportunities there, and at almost 25yrs, he has to think where he gets more senior games.

If I'm Joey's manager and I'm trying to do the best thing by my client, I'm virtually begging him to accept Port's offer. Yes we supposedly upped our offer to 3 years (assuming on less money) but we're currently stacked for small forwards. He's competing with Hill, Elliott, Schultz, Mccreery for a forward spot.

Not to mention he's 25 and running out of opportunities to have a decent earning period.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back