List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Leppa was just on Trade Radio

Loved it

He was holding the cards relatively close but was also fairly honest with our intent to get Houston

LFG!!!!!

The Noble excuse for leaving has totally flipped to what we were sold few weeks ago.
The old my family is up there excuse has now become about security in the side and it shifts all the way back to last years GF.
It’s a sad situation as the bitterness over last year has not subsided and I think Noble only hung around due to the fact he thought we may snare another one this year.
It becomes quite difficult to ascertain the real truth, The club would be giving feedback to Noble about where he sits, he would know that the whole time, the issue seems to be he doesn’t believe or trust hat the club is saying.
It’s probably a matter of the trust is gone and nobody is really at fault.
You’re getting confused with media narrative vs the explanation from the Noble camp.

Don’t get sucked in by it.

The reason we didn’t play finals in 2024 has nothing to do with players 1 … 23.

And we’ll likely need to rely heavily on our 23+ players over the next few seasons as we transition away from our aging player base.

When we lose player like Mihocek to injury (as happens), and a fit Johnson can’t justify selection (or a fit McInnis or Krueger can’t justify a contract extension) we’re in trouble.

Ditto Mitchell getting injured and we replace him with a player who can’t justify a contract extension (yet)

Ditto losing Murphy to concussion and not really having any satisfactory backup options.

Actually it had everything to do with that cohort. The injuries to players within the group specifically

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cat B? - how many solid Cat B contributors have we ever had? I count one.

Free Agency? - Free Agents take a lot of money out of the salary cap, so that effectively limits the number that can be taken. And the selection pool is very small.

Trading? - the challenge there is that you need currency to trade with. Sure, we could try to trade players like Maynard to get good value back. The problem with that is it would mean we no longer have players like Maynard on our list.

Draft? - Sure, you could pick up diamonds in the rough with our late picks, but that takes time and a lot of luck.

And then you hope they want to stay (unlike Henry, Ginnivan and likely Richards)
I still don't know what you're proposing.

Free agency too expensive.
Trading you need currency for which you really are not preprared to offer anything of value.
Draft you seem to think if you don't have a strong draft hand it's too difficult.

Geelong have been successful without high draft picks. In fact, the only top 10 pick they have had in recent years seems to be struggling. You know that kid (pick 7), that was supposed to be the next Selwood? But, you'll probably argue they are the exception, because everyone wants to live there.

The Hawks have traded for need and paid for free agents, which they will do again this year. As I said, apart from Watson, their other top 3 draft picks are struggling to get regular games.

There are plenty of quality AFL players who weren't 1st round picks. Plenty of Brownlow medallists.

We won a premiership in 2023 with Nick Daicos being the only top 10 pick we have had for some time.
Brisbane has just won it as well trading for Nelae, Daniher and Dunkley and picking up father-son's. They didn't have 1st round picks. They also picked up some handy players with 2nd and 3rd round draft picks.

So, it seems like the past 3 premiers relied on trading and shrewd drafting.

I'd be happy to go to the draft with pick 13 and 20. But also see the value in an current AA who is only 27 years of age and will make us instantly a better team.

Why is Joey better than Schultz?

I just said I personally prefer him

For me, even in his very limited opportunities he showed more and made less grievous errors.

Best part of the proposed Noble Houston deal !?
Stuffing up Carlton’s plans ?
Pissing off Ralphy?
Putting Kane into meltdown
Impacting the Rioli deal?

A tasty boxed trifecta
I'll take that and enjoy trade period even better.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back