List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

I literally said in that post that he is a VFL player at best, based on his performance and comparison to players he defended in the AFL. He could grab 30 marks against anyone in the VFL for all I care. He can't do it in the AFL against AFL level competition. And there's several games and evidence of that.

And my definition of challenge the ball in the air is about preventing his direct man from getting marks or touching the ball first while ball is in the the air. So marking uncontested doesn't count.

Look at Howe, Murphy and Moore.

Those 3 repeatedly contest ball in the air well. Howe and Murphy elite in the league.

With that said, many good defenders don't have to contest marks to be good. They will need to be good at reading the plays and intercept inside 50 entries or tackle players. Dean has failed to show enough in this categories also.

He's bad.

And it would need a 180 degree turn around for him to be good enough to help Pies in a finals setting. He is a liability.
These are the same doubts people had about Murphy and some even wanted him delisted, before he proved himself.
I suggest you go and watch Deans last VFL game. The opposition was very good, so please don’t deride the performance as “only” VFL.
How does he get promoted without excelling in the VFL?

I don't know why lots on here don't rate him, should put on more size over summer, think he has all the attributes to replace Howe once he retires.
Because he’s just not that good. The only reason he’s rated on here is because he plays for Collingwood. If he were on Geelong’s list there isn’t a single poster on here who would be putting his name up as a trade target.

The fact that he remains uncontracted and we’re talking about bringing in Tomlinson should tell anyone that does rate him where he actually sits in the pecking order internally. He’s definitely not the slow burn Murphy turned out to be!

We just need to make sure we fleece Suns of their picks.

If we can get 13, 20 and another pick in the 20s for F1, Noble and a 3rd round pick we're in a win/win situation with Houston.

Obviously would be nice to have him running off half back but I would also be extremely happy taking 3 picks inside 30 into this draft.

So funny. Is bringing in 25 year old Schulz and 25 year old Perryman not moves for the future
Trading for known good players with many years of high level football left is apparently torching your future. Instead, focus should be on accumulating speculative draft picks that are widely acknowledged to be a lottery

Highly unlikely.

He doesn't challenge the ball in the air as he cannot jump or is not explosive/athletic.

Then he is very slow to defend leaner and quicker forwards.

Then you cannot put him on big strong forwards either because he is not strong enough.

His only positive trait is that he's taller than 6'3.

Everything else, including awareness, is VFL level at best.

The Pies literally lost games because Dean was dominated by his man that it led to direct goals or indirect goals when his team mate had to help him leaving another player free.

Sorry, but Dean is not good enough for what the Pies need in their structure. If he is best 22, then Pies aren't gonna do well against the top 8 teams.
Tomlinson isn’t much better either

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it is heart-warming to see the concern Kane has for Collingwood. He is so invested in what the our club's list will look like in years to come, worried that we are sacrificing the future just for the possibility of winning another Grand Final .

His words of wisdom need to be noted - we should be concentrating on building a list that is perpetually competitive and not chasing that elusive dream. We need to be like his own beloved Port , sacrificing players to get into the draft and not wasting picks on established All Australians walking out of it.

We should be thankful that someone in the Media is there to guide us and point out that we have a bunch of short sighted imbeciles running Collingwood. People who obviously have no idea, have not thought through their strategy and have no consideration for the future of our club. Hopefully they are listening to his advise and hopefully he keeps repeating it until the trade period is over and beyond.

Three cheers for Kane - who's with me -- Hip , Hip ,........

All the Dean fans here can defend him all you want.

But he has been shocking in the AFL.

Pies would get smashed by good teams with multiple good goal kickers if he was to field a finals game. He gets beaten so bad, he literally breaks the entire defensive structure for Pies as other players have to try to make up for his horribleness.

Again, a miracle is required for him to be a key player for Pies as a premiership contender.

Coaches back me since they removed Dean after the first 3 weeks, which were embarrassing for him.... Pies looked good when he was off the game. Coaches agree.

I personally wasn't defending him.

I was just saying I'm happy to give him one more season to establish himself.

He started with us in 2022 and was injured for all of 2022 and 2023. Played a few VFL games in 2023.

Then was thrown in the deep end at the start of 2024 and played in our first three games of the season where he got NO support in a rudderless defence (thanks to Murphy being gone) that was being battered thanks to a pathetic midfield effort as part of a team that had lost the hunger after experiencing a Premiership.

Reckon you're being a tad harsh on him.

Which again, is why I'm more than happy to give him one more year now that he is over his injury issues

Because he’s just not that good. The only reason he’s rated on here is because he plays for Collingwood. If he were on Geelong’s list there isn’t a single poster on here who would be putting his name up as a trade target.

The fact that he remains uncontracted and we’re talking about bringing in Tomlinson should tell anyone that does rate him where he actually sits in the pecking order internally. He’s definitely not the slow burn Murphy turned out to be!
He needs to stop falling over

That’s a killer at this level

TBH I didn’t really mind cornes that muchbut wow in the last month he is really stepping it up a notch and showing his true colours

This is why I hate the media
Meant to be non bias and yet it’s the most bias thing going around
(Not just football talk)

I think Ed Richards as a free agent is more likely than LDU
Does he leave the Dogs? I don’t think so. He’ll be a part of their future mid rotation as we’ve seen this year. Libba and Ads are nearing the end so he’ll be replacing them.

Don’t get me wrong I’d love him at the Pies. Great player

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back