List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

If we're going to carry a developing tall from the 2020 draft like Dean/Eyre or even Reef, I'd rather give the opportunity to a player that was a pick 6 and hopefully has more upside and talent. Would happily delist Eyre and Reef and pick up DGB to develop and Tomlinson for immediate depth
Agreed. IMO, they’re all long shots aside from Tomlinson whose main issue is being the wrong side of 30. I don’t hold out hope for either of Eyre or Dean so I’d cop turning them over if the club chooses that path.

Every time we have traded a future first we have done worse the following year than expected.

No way when we got Treloar in did we expect to miss finals again. We finished 12th then 12th

Beams we went from 2nd to 3rd.

2020 we went from 6th to 17th after trading our future first.

2023 we went from 1st to 9th

I love a good conspiracy theory as much as anyone but I honestly reckon that’s just a whole bunch of coincidences more so than a pattern defined by trading the first round pick.

Trading our first pick for Schultz wasn’t the reason Mitchell, McStay, Elliott, De Goey, Pendlebury and Cox missed massive chunks of the season

Trading our first pick wasn’t the reason the umpires repeatedly screwed us over late in games to cost us wins

Trading our first pick wasn’t the reason Fly inexplicably decided to bring Richards on with 47 seconds left in the Sydney game

Trading our first pick wasn’t the reason we were sluggish off the shortest pre-season in history and hungover from a Premiership

There's no way that's just a coincidence. I reckon the players love future firsts and stop trying if we trade them. That 2nd to 3rd was a particularly dire example of a plummet.

Exactly, that’s what all the players play for. To see the next 17-18 year old kid enter the club. Pendles would gladly trade his premierships if it meant he got to see more teenagers at the club before he retired.

Honest I bet a bunch of the draft crowd can’t even spell HDM’s full name.

The pile on for posters not advocating the Houston trade is a laugh. It's a different train of thought and either way is a risk. Risk drafting a player that doesnt come on or development time wastes our preimership window? Risk getting Dan at the expense of a future star or Dan's form / injury is a bust?

Exactly, that’s what all the players play for. To see the next 17-18 year old kid enter the club. Pendles would gladly trade his premierships if it meant he got to see more teenagers at the club before he retired.

Honest I bet a bunch of the draft crowd can’t even spell HDM’s full name.
Heritier De Man?

I love a good conspiracy theory as much as anyone but I honestly reckon that’s just a whole bunch of coincidences more so than a pattern defined by trading the first round pick.

Trading our first pick for Schultz wasn’t the reason Mitchell, McStay, Elliott, De Goey, Pendlebury and Cox missed massive chunks of the season

Trading our first pick wasn’t the reason the umpires repeatedly screwed us over late in games to cost us wins

Trading our first pick wasn’t the reason Fly inexplicably decided to bring Richards on with 47 seconds left in the Sydney game

Trading our first pick wasn’t the reason we were sluggish off the shortest pre-season in history and hungover from a Premiership
It’s not a conspiracy it is what has happened every time we have traded out our future first. It’s why we should be cautious

No it's actually smarter than that - its self protection. If we don't have a future first, your spot in the team is safe as we're drafting duds, so you don't have to try, but if we've got a future first you try so that the draft pick gets worse and the incoming player is shitter. They've hacked the system.

Every time we have traded a future first we have done worse the following year than expected.

No way when we got Treloar in did we expect to miss finals again. We finished 12th then 12th

Beams we went from 2nd to 3rd.

2020 we went from 6th to 17th after trading our future first.

2023 we went from 1st to 9th
The last 4 times I tossed a coin I got tails. Conclusion: it's impossible to get heads. I will never toss a coin again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s not a conspiracy it is what has happened every time we have traded out our future first. It’s why we should be cautious
Trading future firsts isn't the problem if its for stars. Trading future firsts for average return is bad.

Treloar = Great. Houston = Elite.
Schultz = Average, 2x 2nd rounders = Bad, Beams = Disaster

There's no way that's just a coincidence. I reckon the players love future firsts and stop trying if we trade them. That 2nd to 3rd was a particularly dire example of a plummet.
It shows that you have to be careful. We have had our share of bad luck.

Henry walking out, Fin and Reef not coming on like expected and the Beams mess.

Never did I say trading our future first was the cause of a worse than expected return. Yet we sell the asset at a reduced cost as we don’t expect it to be worth as much.

The pile on for posters not advocating the Houston trade is a laugh. It's a different train of thought and either way is a risk. Risk drafting a player that doesnt come on or development time wastes our preimership window? Risk getting Dan at the expense of a future star or Dan's form / injury is a bust?

It helps Dan is already a star in a position of need. Other than Naicos who is better than him? The injury risk also applies to the unknown draftee and we’ve already suffered on that front multiple times.

Collingwood: Need players all over.

“They need players in all different parts of the ground. They have an ageing list and there is some discussion around that the might fall off the cliff. I think they need some young, quality players.”

Wouldn't pay much attention to this bloke. Says Carlton needs more midfielders, when their defence nearly cost them a finals berth this year.

It’s like a problem gambler saying this time I’ll win
Given the absolute lottery nature of the draft versus trading for a known commodity, this comment is legitimately hilarious.

While your point is generally valid, how much of a risk is Houston really?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back