List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

So was like watch the grass grow be same as Todays Trade Period
Going to get a few days like that, I'm just hoping something happens somewhere soon. 😜

Why'd he go pick 6 then? Clearly he was best in the draft and masterful recruitment by pies.

Before the draft there were already leaks about teams ahead of us who ruled him out, and a big part was his medical condition with a view he'd struggle to gain lean mass and potential side effects (he had seperate medical to alleviate the health side of it).

Also since when do we recruit players for a single season especially their first?

Many on here have stated you don't draft players for what they can do in year 1. Hanging your hat on his 2018 and then claiming him a success for our team of which he is gone from for dicking Beakers cup and on top of that had drastically fell away on field shows limited improvement in most areas and went backwards on the score board.
Then over 6 years remains largely the same player says he is a poor selection at pick 6 for Collingwood fc.
To argue otherwise is taking the piss.
It's Essendon after 2001. BTW their most dominant season in history was 2000...

2001 was the start of the reign of the Lions 4 GFs tripple premiership team.

Essendon then proceeded to try top upand lived mediocre before dropping off a cliff and staying there by and large for 20 years.

what I am trying to "spruik" is the theory that pies can avoid an eventual bottom out after the exodus of 30 plus crew by trading and not bringing in more elite youth to help ND long term.
Seems to be a perception the Geelong way is the right way with ignoring the fact of the stars Geelong traded in. Danger Cameron Touhey et el

Tldr is Both ess and Carlton also didn't think what was coming could happen to them they were so good at contending back then

So on one hand you’re pointing out the perils of the draft and how even top 10 picks can be duds, yet on the other you want us to focus on the draft instead of trading for proven players…

All good points. But if you look at the league leaderboard for goal average, you'll see Sam Day at 13, who played 5 games at similar game time to Reef. Day has been delisted despite averaging 2.0 goals per game. I'm just not sure goals per game average is a good metric for players that only play a handful of games in a season

Day was a very good footballer whose career was largely derailed by injury. Has limited him to 18-20 games in the last 4 years. He’d have played a lot more footy over that period if not for the injuries. At 32 the time is right. Reef is at the other end of the spectrum, trying to find his place in the senior side. Sam Day is also a genuine KPP playing (averaged 66%tog) as a KPP, Reef is more a flanker playing as a KPP due to team needs.

The merit of stat subsets is always a curious one, Schultz according to some didn’t have a good year because he didn’t kick enough goals even though he did everything else, Reef didn’t have a great year and doesn’t have a future because all he did was kick goals. I’m happy with my opinion.

Just crunched the numbers and it was 1.44 goals in an average of 54.3%tog
It was surprising that Reef wasn't given more opportunity throughout the year.

He was very unlucky to get that concussion against Adelaide. He already had 2 goals by the third quarter, and I reckon he would have strung together a few games before the bye.

Still not ready to get excited over Houston until a deal's done, I don't wanna be left disappointed, so hurry up and have a deal! Lol.

Now judging by that report from the Age that it seems the wheels are in motion and that Houston has agreed to terms with us, I think things will progress quickly. Doubt this will drag on into next week with any of the teams hoping the others will blink first as that will then waste time trying to get other deals done.

My gut feel is this will be announced Friday and then next week the media can focus on the lesser deals like Bailey Smith and Rioli.

Not disagreeing with the thrust of your point, just highlighting that it’s not as dire as some project. I like the kid, just can’t work out what he needs to make it at the next level. Gut feel is it’s still a tank and a between the ears issue.
Probably just needs something as simple as consistent minutes in the seniors. Instead of wasting them on the likes of Bytel, Long and Sullivan who all look like they're getting delisted.

How about this:

Port Give: Houston, and their Future 1st.
Port Get: Pick 13, Richards and Lukosius and Pick 36

Suns Give: Pick 13, Pick 23 and Lukosius
Suns Get: Noble, Pies Future 1st and Port's Future 1st

Pies Give: Noble, Richards, Pick 36 and our Future 1st
Pies Get: Houston and Pick 23

Two big potential problems that I see.

1. GC will be after our future 1st and pick 36 for 13. It's basically the equivalent of the Carlton offer. If it ends up being one or both of our 3rd round selections we would have done well. We'd need to strongly argue 23 is giving them Noble for unders for this to be viable. Who blinks first?
2. Port will demand 13 and 23 for Houston as they should. I don't see a way a deal for Houston is done without us parting with 23.

I think we'll be doing well if Port are satisfied with 13 and 23 for Houston and trade 39 for Richards. I expect they'll still push for a discount on him also whatever that looks like.
By extension if we had to give up 39 to GC as part of the deal for 13 and retain 36 for ourselves this would be another small win (assuming we couldn't use 3rd round selections).

If Port were able to force something like pick 41 out of GC alongside Lukosious for their future 1st, then potentially when the paperwork is lodged in a 3 way trade, pick 41 never leads the hands of GC but it does pay for Richards for Port and by retaining pick 41 it's the 2nd round pick GC wanted in order to hand over 13 to us.

Assuming we couldn't get the deal done with our 3rd round selection/s there's only 90pts difference between 36 and 41.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably just needs something as simple as consistent minutes in the seniors. Instead of wasting them on the likes of Bytel, Long and Sullivan who all look like they're getting delisted.

He wasn’t getting their midfield minutes this year, likely in the future either. I see him as a forward who can take an occasional midfield rotation although his dash from defence was eye catching in the last couple of VFL matches.

You have to offset that with what it would cost us

- Promising young small forward in a team that isn’t doing too badly for small forwards (hopefully Elliott stays healthy until Harrison gets back)

- Established player at the fringe of best 23. Noble was playing some decent footy at the end of this year.

- Future first.

- Whatever else we have to give up.
It largely depends on what that draft pick in this draft looks like.

I’d happily trade Houston for a fringe and bottom 6 player. In this draft 23 (pushing to 27ish) is a draft night 1 pick which could be the equivalent of a pick 15 next year with all the likely academy and FS bids.

The trades improve us in the here and now and continues our run of 1st Rd picks dating back to 2020. It’s the sort of sequence of moves the media reflect on in 5 years time as crucial in a premiership run, IMO.

sorry not following the bolded.
Saw your previous post as well.

So what is the Blues deal to land Houston?

If they were prepared to trade this years pick 12 then obviously they deal with Port directly and can bypass GC. As of now they aren't.

Obviously it would take more than that to acquire Houston but in using this years 1st round selection it would provide them with greater flexibility in the use of future selections to seal the deal.

As I've stated before however given we are in a position to land pick 13 and 23 (alongside Richards) for Carlton to offer up something on par for Port they would really need IMO to put 12 and their future 1st up.

Given the strength of this years draft and Carlton likely asking for a 2nd round selection back in any trade for Houston involving two 1st round picks I still feel our potential offer is stronger.

So on one hand you’re pointing out the perils of the draft and how even top 10 picks can be duds, yet on the other you want us to focus on the draft instead of trading for proven players…

Huh? You have taken 2 posts out of context great job.

The draft imo is the best way to build the cake then trade in at the end.
Stephenson was a poor selection but not in a poor draft. I'd rather hine keep majority of his top 10s.

People are kidding themselves if they think we won't eventually fall.

Point of second quote was was both clubs through 90s had a hubris that it was their right to make finals and win flags.
Neither saw a 20/30 plus year cycle in the wilderness after the success they had previously.

Last edited:
If we get Houston it reminds me of Geelong getting Touhy, same age etc Geelong got 7 years out of him
I was thinking more of Tom Lynch.
He ignored us, (the team he and his family supported) for Richmond.
Houston and his family all barrack for the blueballers.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back