List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Never been critical of getting Perryman. Saying we need to get rid of our future first round is a pathetic cop out.

We don’t know how McGuane’s top age year will go. He may slide, we may also slide like we have after every year we have traded a future

we didn’t really get rid of the pick so much as spend it on an absolute gun.

The fact we might have not been able to take it to the draft next year anyway because of McGuane is just an additional reason to use it.

it’s showing why drafts are compromised. Pick 12 is basically pick 15 etc because 3 players have been picked and seen as better than the pick you have. E.g with pick 12 you are getting the 15th best player. Some drafts have more academy/fs etc than others
Yes but that “ compromise “ is a known. All teams go into the draft knowing who is going to be unavailable to them unless they get some luck with a team not matching. If you go into a draft with pick 12 you will still get the 12th best AVAILABLE player. So the slide is just something people like to talk about as if somehow it’s a loss.

Perryman and Houston have both spent time in the midfield. Whether they both start in defence or not, they are options to rotate during games or due to injury. Giving us extra options other than having to play the likes of Long, Bytel or Sullivan.
I'm aware of that, but Houston will be so good off HB in a system predicated during our Premiership year in scoring off defensive transition, his time spent moving into midfield will likely be fairly limited. Those two rotating through isn't likely to make for the lack of reliability of a number of our primary mids, either due to age or injury. We literally need a season where neither Pendles or Sidey's performance drops one bit, and neither of them or JDG miss many games with injuries. And somehow Mitchell returns to his Hawks level of play. Sure it could happen, but it's probably not particularly likely.

He played his best seasons with midfield time. Got crowded out of Giants midfield
Having looked at those seasons, his contested numbers were not remotely grunt like. If that's what we are getting as a primary mid, it's not moving the needle (not saying he was a bad pick up btw, I like it given it cost nothing asset wise, just a statement on the fact our midfield is a real ticking time bomb, and it's not being mitigated much at all by our pickups)

General question …. Does it really matter if a pick slides? For example if you have pick 12 and it slides to 15 because three academy players were bid on…. What difference does it make? Those academy players weren’t available anyway unless by some miracle their team didn’t match . Which never happens early in the draft

So at pick 15 you are still getting access to the 12th best available player in the general pool…

Am I missing something here?
Thank you for asking this. I’ve been pondering this myself.

Never been critical of getting Perryman. Saying we need to get rid of our future first round is a pathetic cop out.

We don’t know how McGuane’s top age year will go. He may slide, we may also slide like we have after every year we have traded a future 1st
I agree I do think Perryman and Houston will make us better in the short to medium term. It is not the Houston acquisition in isolation it is the multiple 1st we keep trading out. Pick 10 which we would have had which could have been used to trade players in or one of Alix Tauru, Bo Allan, Jobe Shanahan. If we kept pick 13 maybe we could have the best available mid and KPP.

Also agree that McGuane could do what the Campo twins have done and go from top 10-15 to borderline rookie draft which is something to consider which may leave us light in the talented youth department come 2026.

Having looked at those seasons, his contested numbers were not remotely grunt like. If that's what we are getting as a primary mid, it's not moving the needle (not saying he was a bad pick up btw, I like it given it cost nothing asset wise, just a statement on the fact our midfield is a real ticking time bomb, and it's not being mitigated much at all by our pickups)
If you just want pure contested inside midfielders, there's cheap top ups available every year. Just like when we got Mitchell, this year there's Parker, Macrae, Kennedy etc. Once Mitchell is done we can just top up with another older proven inside mid every 2-3 years

Not sure if it’s me but I think the Port board (about DH) is quite tame compared to some of the melts I’ve seen here over the years

Eg-

View attachment 2143076
The Houston thread is quite tame compared to the Rory Atkins welcome thread.

They are really unloading there on the bloke!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably, but I think the issue at hand is the midfield needs help, and it needs help now. Father time waits for no one, and expecting 35+ year olds to maintain their performance levels is asking for trouble. Perryman is a decent utility player off HB, but he doesn't particularly move the needle in key areas, unless he out of nowhere has some huge jump in performance from a move into the midfield. We know what he can do off HB and it's not much different from some of the players we already have down there.
Nick, Pendles, JDG, Crisp, Sidey, Mitchell, Perryman, maybe Allan. How many mids do you think we need in our rotation?

Really hope we hang onto Reef and he can have a break out year in 2025.
If the training vid with max viney is anything to go by, good signs for reef, dean and Long. But of course they wouldn't know yet.

Pendles, crisp, sidey and Mitchell all 30+ it will be okay for at least 2025 but we do need to start thinking beyond
I think you're missing how cheaply veterans are going. We don't need to have the next 10 year midfield set up. We've got the star 10 year midfielder and we need to make sure that he's got good players around him.

If the time was right for us, Macrae would have been good. The point is we've got the star mids in Nick and Jordy we need good players to play around them. I think we'll be able to maintain that without too much trouble.

I think you're missing how cheaply veterans are going. We don't need to have the next 10 year midfield set up. We've got the star 10 year midfielder and we need to make sure that he's got good players around him.

If the time was right for us, Macrae would have been good. The point is we've got the star mids in Nick and Jordy we need good players to play around them. I think we'll be able to maintain that without too much trouble.
Exactly. Plus we have McGuane coming in next year

I agree I do think Perryman and Houston will make us better in the short to medium term. It is not the Houston acquisition in isolation it is the multiple 1st we keep trading out. Pick 10 which we would have had which could have been used to trade players in or one of Alix Tauru, Bo Allan, Jobe Shanahan. If we kept pick 13 maybe we could have the best available mid and KPP.

Also agree that McGuane could do what the Campo twins have done and go from top 10-15 to borderline rookie draft which is something to consider which may leave us light in the talented youth department come 2026.
This whole we should’ve kept pick 13 is fantasy, the suns weren’t trading it to us to do us a solid, it was to benefit themselves. Pick 13 came with strings, to be used on Houston so as to open up cap space for port to off load luko’s contract on them.

Will be enjoying trade radio and all the other chaos that will be happening tomorrow. Nice to not be so heavily involved anymore. Hopefully get another player in tomorrow but if not, that’s okay we can just grab a delisted player after.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back