List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

My dog eats the dogfood from Aldi, he eats it but I don’t know if it’s any good, a bit like Zohar, he’s never really set the world in fire and has played in a team that has underperformed but with better players around him you never know unless you give it a go.

It’s still a no for me, I think the art work he brings just isn’t up to the standard we expect.

As some have noted, gobsmacked that Clarry is even in the discussion on here. His best may or may not be behind him, and his fitness and form may or may not return, but the bigger issue is the Ben Cousins vibes he gives off.

Let Melbourne deal with it. Sad for the guy, but his problem is not easily solved by a club with a ‘better’ culture.
It was bad enough with Beams and being a Collingwood premiership player one might (arguably) understand the thinking behind bringing him home, compared to willingly investing in some other clubs problem.

Cousins was a disaster at Richmond

What is Zurhaars elite attribute? From afar and not following him that closely, he seems to be a bit lazy?

For that salary he would need to be an important role in the first team? Is he going to take over from De Goey?

In my mind he is similar to a De Goey / Stringer powerful athlete. Has Zurhaar looked elite when passing through the midfield? Because even Stringer looks powerful with his midfield cameos.

If he played forward, is he blocking the path of McInnes ? Is he taking over Elliott role? Blocking the path of Joe Richards?

Could Zurhaar play on a wing? So it's Zurhaar ahead of Bailey Smith?

Intrigued by this possible acquisition.
There is no such thing as blocking a young players path, if reef and joe are good enough they will break in. Ridiculous to not recruit a (at this stage) much better player so you can gift young players games.
You also just compared his attributes to Degoey/Stringer, two of the most damaging players in the league.

Your follow up posts asks about his bnf finsihes.. my reply is to look up jordy de goeys bnf finishes... pretty poor, does that mean we should off load him?

If we're going after anyone at North, it should be LDU or Larkey and I doubt either of them are gettable
Larkey has just signed a long term extension iirc, but LDU is an RFA next year and has delayed contract talks with Norf. Reports are that clubs believe he’ll be gettable if Norf don’t show significant improvement in the next 12 months.

Last edited:
Larkey has just signed a long term extension iirc, but LDI is an RFA next year and has delayed contract talks with Norf. Reports are that clubs believe he’ll be gettable if Norf don’t show significant improvement in the next 12 months.
Tom morris said he might be gettable this year, but yeah Tom morris.

There is no such thing as blocking a young players path, if reef and joe are good enough they will break in. Ridiculous to not recruit a (at this stage) much better player so you can gift young players games.
You also just compared his attributes to Degoey/Stringer, two of the most damaging players in the league.

Your follow up posts asks about his bnf finsihes.. my reply is to look up jordy de goeys bnf finishes... pretty poor, does that mean we should off load him?

I would say De Goey has been racing against some Group 1 calibre horses. Zurhaar ha been racing in Provincial races. So probably not like for like.

Take your point but IMV its not unreasonable to assess your list for strengths and weaknesses, because resources are finite. We only have a limited amount of cap space; or draft picks and players than we can trade to bring new players. So its wise to be selective.

For example if Stengle and LDU are both available...Im choosing LDU. Not because he is necessarily a better player, (I mean a 53 goal small forward is truly elite and better than what we have), but because our stocks of small forwards are already very good (Elliot, Hill, Schulz, McCreery, Harrison and Richards) vs our stocks of inside mid which are relatively threadbare....

I saw Sam McClure’s suggestion that Taylor Walker would be a good get for us or Melbourne and yeah I know…Sam McClure

But I honestly wouldn’t be opposed to it

He’d cost us nothing in trade
He’d cost us fairly little in TPP (relatively speaking)

At absolute worst he’s handy depth should we have a similar situation like this year where both McStay and Mihocek go down

You’d also assume that going to a club smack bang in the Premiership window would be a decent motivating factor for Tex to get every last drop out of himself for a season

Which as we saw in 2023, isn’t too shabby

I saw Sam McClure’s suggestion that Taylor Walker would be a good get for us or Melbourne and yeah I know…Sam McClure

At absolute worst he’s handy depth should we have a similar situation like this year where both McStay and Mihocek go down

You’d also assume that going to a club smack bang in the Premiership window would be a decent motivating factor for Tex to get every last drop out of himself for a season

Turning circle of the Queen Mary this season and seems slow. Overcooked I reckon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I go there occasionally for a couple of things, would go there more often if SA Aldi sold wine, I'll give it a go.
I go to Aldi in Stirling here in the Hills every couple of weeks. Had never really been before, but salami, cheese, butter, the basic good stuff is all cheap and delicious.

As for Aldi De Goey, aka Zurhaar, i'd have him in a heartbeat. Strikes me as a confidence player, and it would be hard to have any playing for North over the past 5 years. I remember a story about him getting a border collie a few years back. He'd been in a bit of a rut, got a dog, and his form went through the roof. As a 2 x Border Collie owner myself, this really stuck with me. I like him, the guy can play, imagine playing for a side that not only won games, but had the support, culture and belief that we have? He'd tear it up

Yeah. I was half on board at the end of 22 when it got whispered about and he killed it last year but I think by the start of next year he’ll be well past it. On top of that I just can’t see him playing anywhere else
ever since he went to 1 year contracts, around this time of the year there’s a tex might be moving story. It’s just his management trying to encourage the crows to sit down and pen another extension.

Take your point but IMV its not unreasonable to assess your list for strengths and weaknesses, because resources are finite. We only have a limited amount of cap space; or draft picks and players than we can trade to bring new players. So its wise to be selective.

For example if Stengle and LDU are both available...Im choosing LDU. Not because he is necessarily a better player, (I mean a 53 goal small forward is truly elite and better than what we have), but because our stocks of small forwards are already very good (Elliot, Hill, Schulz, McCreery, Harrison and Richards) vs our stocks of inside mid which are relatively threadbare....
Spot on!!!!

After all we've done as a club with our Do Better Report, why would we go backwards and bring someone like Tex into the club? It would be a slap in the face to all our Indigenous players past & present to recruit someone with his history into Collingwood.

BAILEY SMITH​

Western Bulldogs​

He is keen for a fresh start, the Dogs know it. Here is the problem. They will ask the world for a former top-10 pick with A-grade potential. Rivals will come hard, but then low-ball the Dogs citing the fact he’s had one truly exceptional year – kicking 17.13 as he amassed 613 possessions including a great 2021 finals series that included three and four-goal finals. Let the haggling begin.

LIAM BAKER​

Richmond​

The word from the Baker camp is that he hasn’t officially made up his mind as he works through interest from the Eagles and Dockers. The Eagles haven’t officially lodged an offer. But if new Eagles list boss Matt Clark, who recruited Baker as the Tigers recruiting boss, hasn’t made a direct pitch to Baker then he isn’t trying. Baker met the Eagles this weekend. If he asks for a trade the Eagles are white-hot favourites compared to the Dockers.

RORY LOBB​

Western Bulldogs​

As revealed by the Herald Sun, Lobb wants a fresh start so he can play every week. But if you were the Dogs, why in god’s name would you let him go? He’s contracted for the next two years on about $550,000 a year. They don’t have another back-up ruckman – unless they play Sam Darcy in the centre square – so if they let him go they would have to use that pick to go hunting for a replacement. Why not just hold him to his deal?
It’s another reason why the smoke signals have gone up early that he wants a fresh start. It might eventually allow the Dogs to relent given they have time to consider back-up options.

DYLAN SHIEL​

Essendon​

The Dogs aren’t even playing Ben Hobbs, Elijah Tsatas or Will Setterfield in their midfield, with Darcy Parish injured. So Shiel, 31, is a long way back in the pecking order, even fresh from his best VFL game of the year – 26 touches, nine clearances, 100 per cent kicking efficiency, 10 score involvements. In hindsight, hs should have moved to St Kilda last year but was banged-up and battling a meniscus issue after getting injured in an accident playing with his daughter, of all things. At his best he’s explosive and he would come relatively cheap. Time to move on to a third club.

ADAM TOMLINSON​

Melbourne​

He’s too good to have played four games to this stage of the season. He’s an unrestricted free agent. He can run all day, he can play wing at a pinch. With Jake Lever returning against the Lions he will likely lose his spot again. No official suitors have emerged, but time to find someone who plays him every week so the 30-year-old can hit the 200-club milestone.

CAM ZURHAAR​

North Melbourne​

Still think he should have painted a rosier picture of his future at the Roos this year to save himself a year of intense speculation. But at least as he finds some form – three goals against the Pies, four against Melbourne – he now has choices. There isn’t a clear suitor for his services, but play like that for another month and clubs like St Kilda, Collingwood and Melbourne would have to believe he could boost their firepower. A massive nine weeks ahead. If the Roos can scrape three victories and have a handful more fighting victories, they have to believe they are in much better shape than April, when they looked a decade from finals. The Roos have offered five years. They should match if he wants to leave the club, unless the offer hits the first-round compensation trigger.

TYSON STENGLE​

Geelong​

Essendon had one chat with his management, but isn’t in the race. Channel 7 reported on Friday night he had spoken with Ross Lyon. St Kilda has so much cap space and seems to have so few incoming recruits that few fans would begrudge them if they offered Stengle a monster deal. Geelong has some wiggle room in its four-year $2.8 million offer – it can offer incentive clauses, even lift that money. So the Saints should offer five or six years at $900,000, which would hand him up to $2 million extra in guaranteed money. Stengle has proven extremely durable – missing only those games last year with a broken wrist, but playing 58 of a possible 62 games at the Cats. And he’s only 25 – he’s exactly the kind of player the Saints should splash the cash on.

NICK BRYAN​

Essendon​

Maybe he’s not ready and maybe he won’t land at a club that believes he can be a first ruckman. But the Dons have used every excuse not to play him and in comes Nate Caddy as another key tall, which allows Peter Wright to play even more back-up ruck behind Sam Draper. Time for a fresh start. Geelong would be a perfect landing spot even if he has to battle it out with Toby Conway for a starting role.

DANIEL RIOLI​

Richmond​

Gold Coast has huge interest, but isn’t sure if Richmond would relent. He turns 28 next April, he’s a hugely popular and damaging player. But it is a very brief moment in time where the Tigers would get “overs” for a player in a position where they want to play Sam Banks and have Nick Vlastuin, Jayden Short and Tom Brown. And they would get overs, given the Suns have three first-rounders and are desperate for that elite running defender. Richmond should think

NICK HAYNES​

Greater Western Sydney​

He’s only just turned 32 and surely there is a rival out there who believes he is worth a two-year deal. At some stage the Giants will get their full complement of talls back and Haynes will be behind Sam Taylor, Harry Himmelberg, Jack Buckley, Connor Idun and Leek Aleer.
A club like St Kilda should consider him, given uncertainty over Josh Battle and Dougal Howard’s diminishing returns.

JOSH BATTLE​

St Kilda​

The Saints would be nervous. He still hasn’t signed as an unrestricted free agent, Hawthorn is coming hard and it’s now mid-June. He and his partner Casey welcomed their first child in April, so they have had a lot on their plate, which St Kilda says explains the delay. But time for Sam Mitchell to lay on the charm offensive to try to win Battle across. This is another situation where St Kilda should be considering matching a rival

HARRY PERRYMAN​

GWS​

Perryman wants to stay at GWS, but in an ideal world would also play midfield, which he will never do at the Giants. But his partner Jamie-Lee plays Super Netball for the Giants, he’s very entrenched and few Giants leave the club unless they are nudged out for cap reasons (with Jeremy Cameron the obvious exception). Might take a monster offer to get him out and clubs are offering up to $850k a year. Still think there is a good chance he st

BEN AINSWORTH​

Gold Coast​

He’s well-established at the Suns; has been very well-paid across his career as a former top-10 pick – and his management hasn’t been shopping him around hard so far. They are the reasons the Suns believe he wants to stay. He will get $600,000-$700,000 a year to stay and it’s a fair price for a free agent who only has 12 goals from 14 games. He has been linked to Essendon, but do they really want to pay him $800,000 to leave when they have Jade Gresham, Nic Martin and Archie Perkins who can fill a similar role – with Nate Caddy and Matt Guelfi also filling front-six roles.

WILL PHILLIPS​

North Melbourne​

Given how out of favour he was early in the year, surely suitors have been lined up? Then came the fortnight where Phillips found legitimate tagging roles against Nick Daicos and Clayton Oliver. Can he sign a one-year deal so he has his choice of clubs next year as an out-of-contract player if he is denied chances once more? Love to see him fight it out at the Roos, but at least suitors will realise the No.3 overall pick has strings to his bow.

DUSTIN MARTIN​

Richmond​

Can understand the frustration from fans over the continued focus on his future, but when it is such a movable feast it does add to the intrigue.
Gold Coast is interested, but likely only on a one-year deal (with a games-based trigger) at reasonable money. Call it $500,000-$600,000. If he wants a big multi-year deal it’s thanks but no thanks. Would Dusty sacrifice? His manager Ralph Carr says he has suitors. Much depends on his last nine weeks and whether he can show he still has the fire in the belly.

ISAAC CUMMING​

GWS​

The Suns are interested in the rebounding halfback, who is working his way back into form after hamstring and calf issues. Clearly Daniel Rioli would be more of a priority, but watch this space on Cumming if Rioli remains. His form was excellent in 2023 – 23.5 possessions, 75 per cent kicking efficiency, 537m gained. He’s no one’s idea of a high-profile player, but he might fit in perfectly if the Suns can get their man.

LUKE PARKER​

Sydney​

Has one more year on a lucrative deal and would be conflicted: Why leave a club where he might win another flag? But he was continually overlooked at selection before his lengthy suspension and it will only be harder to get into this team as the kids emerge. A club like the Kangaroos might offer a three-year deal at excellent money as a perfect retirement fund that also allows him to mentor the kids. Tough decision ahead. It might be easier if a St Kilda, Melbourne or Adelaide who are a little closer to finals contention come hunting with

TIM ENGLISH​

Western Bulldogs​

The Dogs don’t seem especially concerned by the concussions he has had, but from what we can ascertain have offered five years, but not more. He wants six to seven seasons at a million-dollars plus. To his credit he bounced back with an excellent two-goal, six-clearance game against Fremantle that was his best in many weeks. Finish the season in that style and he will force the Bulldogs hand, but right now West Coast aren’t interested and there isn’t another genuine suitor.

HARRISON PETTY​

Melbourne​

We finally saw signs of life as Petty marked strongly several times against the Roos, but his leverage has fallen and surely Adelaide’s interest has tailed off. It might be best to wait until the end of next year when he will be an unrestricted free agent at only 25 years of age. Then he can cash-in with a massive deal as a full back at a rival club. Maybe by then he will have improved as a forward but 4.9 from 12 games isn’t an awesome audition for rival clubs.

DENVER GRAINGER-BARRAS​

Hawthorn​

Has put together some strong VFL form in the past few weeks as a defender after his early-season toe ligament surgery. He’s the No.6 pick of the 2020 draft, the Hawks would get very little for him in a trade and they genuinely believe he’s improved every year. So they will desperately try to keep him and ward off rivals who might believe he will relish a fresh start. But he’s out of contract and back in the Hawks pecking order.

BRANDAN PARFITT​

Geelong​

He’s keen to stay, he was playing some excellent football, he’s not chasing rival offers. But he’s fallen out of the side again and he’s a free agent who is an excellent pressure and contest player. He’s far from perfect – his kicking is rated poor this year – but he averages 5.4 clearances and 6.9 tackles. Adelaide hasn’t emerged as a suitor but surely they should consider someone of his talents in their midfield

McStay is coming off a knee, Mihocek will be 32 at the start of next season, whilst Elliott is soon to be 32 and coupled with his current injury situation who knows whether he goes around again.

Our interest in Zurhaar is probably understandable.
Only one problem with this post, none of those three play Zuhaar's position so he wouldn't be a replacement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back