List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

See above.

You made a big statement that is clearly wrong.
lol.
Not sure I can argue with someone who legit doesn’t understand the point.

If you’re deciding to debate English (which is my only thought at this point), then that’s even worse that someone would bother…..

Draft will be no where in 5 years.

No one wants to take 18 year olds. Fools gold.
Taking someone at 24-25 that gives 6+ years of play immediately is the future.

Drafting 18 year olds is so bad a strategy I just can’t compute!!
Name me the last time we managed to trade or attract as FA someone at 24-25 that was at the eliteness level of Naicos, Pendles, Sidey, JDG, Moore etc

Even as recent premiers, McCrae as coach and a strong culture and administration the best we've been able to do is Schultz and McStay as our "marquee" signings. Good luck challenging without Naicos and a team full of Schultz and McStay types.

Name me the last time we managed to trade or attract as FA someone at 24-25 that was at the eliteness level of Naicos, Pendles, Sidey, JDG, Moore etc

Even as recent premiers, McCrae as coach and a strong culture and administration the best we've been able to do is Schultz and McStay as our "marquee" signings. Good luck challenging without Naicos and a team full of Schultz and McStay types.
You know the saying - draft for talent, trade for needs. Which is built around your talent.

Don’t need to. Thats the point you’re missing.
All of those are top 10 picks (bar Sidey).
Most top 5.

When did we last have a valid tip 10 pick.

22 players. Are you assuming we need/want 22 superstars?

A superstar drafted is worth 12 years. They are rare.
Build around them.

You are looking at this the wrong way it’s not about the superstars, it’s about the other players!!

So how many of these are not 6+ year best 22?
Howe, lipinski, Shultz, McStay, hill, WHE, Kruger, crisp.

And that’s only from who played on the weekend.

Why do you think clubs have a great “hit rate” from mature age and SSP?
18 year old players have always been flaky. With more options to bring players in….no one is going to be interested in 28 year olds beyond what they are obliged to take.

You watch what happens with SSP this year…..we started it (by having 6 attend) last year…..most clubs this year will forgoe the 18 year old they don’t have to take in Favour of SSP.

You know the saying - draft for talent, trade for needs. Which is built around your talent.
Yea if we were a club like Geelong that can consistently land A-grade FA/trade talent like Dangerfield's/Camerons etc then I can potentially get behind that strategy. Yet we have never managed to land a genuine marquee star via trade/FA and end up overpaying for NQR like Beams/Schultz in trade or Lynch/Mayne/McStay in FA.

Our best trades have been for yet to be established inexperienced players like Hill, Crisp, Cameron etc that generally haven't cost much via trade.

Therefore, we absolutely need to maintain a decent draft hand so we have the opportunity to draft in that elite talent.

Yea if we were a club like Geelong that can consistently land A-grade FA/trade talent like Dangerfield's/Camerons etc then I can potentially get behind that strategy. Yet we have never managed to land a genuine marquee star via trade/FA and end up overpaying for NQR like Beams/Schultz in trade or Lynch/Mayne/McStay in FA.

Our best trades have been for yet to be established inexperienced players like Hill, Crisp, Cameron etc that generally haven't cost much via trade.

Therefore, we absolutely need to maintain a decent draft hand so we have the opportunity to draft in that elite talent.
Who else have the cats traded in? Beyond the stars?

That will tell you that stars a “nice”….but you need more than 1 player.
Stars don’t make the team. They help.

This entire “we need a star” is so outdated and pointless.

Give me our trading strategy over any draft picks over the last 3 years any day!!
24-25 is perfectly acceptable for a sustainable strategy.

We got rolled in the freo trade plain and simple. A mind boggling decision at the time that looks even stupider now
No one realises it but Schultz has been close to our best small forward this year. No one really sees what he does. So many cry about a pick that will be about pick 20.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

murphys departure has completely upended the backline (the flow-on affects have been massive) - addressing it is our most urgent priority imho

unfortunately that will likely see some with currency put up for trade (mccreery for one will be discussed)
So many people crying after we won a premiership. Why not see how the season finishes. Even then... why are you putting up a player for trade? What do you think he is worth? Or are you just upset after a loss?

Last edited:
Without Crisp and Nick Daicos at half back we really look light on for options down there. Runners with footskills out of the back half should be a our top priority after inside mids.
We are missing Nick off half back. As good as he has been in the midfield he gets a lot more attention there and he has issues using his beautiful kicking. Both him and Crisp at half back is a luxury we haven't had this year.

I'm not suggesting he'd necessarily be the difference between winning or losing or increase our obvious lack of intensity...but he'd be the ruck/forward we desperately need which would mean we aren't robbing our defence to play forward each week...which in turn means our defence could have remained somewhat settled & built confidence & connection..which it's clearly been lacking.
I think this year Teakle would have been a better opinion than Bytel for us. But I'm no recruiter so I trust the people who do the job and got us a premiership last year.

Last edited:

No one gets elite talent at that age as a free agent. No one is a free agent at 24-25 unless they have been delisted. You have to trade for those players and if you do you are playing with Beams like picks.
Tim Kelly? Was he that player.
Jordan Dawson? Adelaide threatened to get him in the PSD. Both were about 24-25.

Last edited:
We are missing Nick off half back. As good as he has been in the midfield he gets a lot more attention there and he has issues using his beautiful kicking. Both him and Crisp at half back is a luxury we haven't had this year.
Yep, the stat's show it too.
Our defensive 50 to goal has dropped right away with Nick not being the link out of defence into attack.

As our key smalls Billy, McCreery have been in and out we have lost a bit from this scoring from front half game.

And now Nick is mainly in the midfield we have appeared to shift away from this to a forward of Centre goal scoring game which even .kre relies on our manic forward pressure.

On top of that he is regularly getting tagged and banged up.

Is it a cattle thing, injury thing, or trying to evolve our game plan?

Our best part of the year has been when Crisp got his game back when Jordy was out, we also had Pendles and Josh in with the debutants.

Nicl was getting good cover then and we looked pretty good for longer than we are now with JDG back and a banged up Pendles.

I think Mitchell is a massive out for us with his style of play which compliments Nick and Crisp, Lipinski etc. Who can move through traffic and deliver into F50.

Be good to see what happens in a few weeks when we get a few back.

Sent from my SM-A556E using BigFooty.com mobile app

just hit the ignore button mate. The eeyores never stop talking about the same thing.
These guys live in the “if only”, and “I told you so” land of hindsight and revisionism - where they actually think such complaints and moaning are of salience to the discussion.
It’s tedious.

Last edited:
murphys departure has completely upended the backline (the flow-on affects have been massive) - addressing it is our most urgent priority imho

unfortunately that will likely see some with currency put up for trade (mccreery for one will be discussed)

agree that key back is our most urgent priority
but dont think mccreery is going anywhere

Remove this Banner Ad

Back