List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

I ask every poster who bags Hine to offer me 5 recruiters with a better record at producing competitive lists that regularly contend.
I get crickets.
Now it’s your turn.
The problem most of us have with Hine is, he doesn't seem to want to pick any key talls.
Can count on one hand the talls we have selected via the draft in the past 10 years and failed miserably.

You were lamenting we overpay for them.
Give me a team struggling for years, and I’ll give you a team with the salary cap space to attract a FA.
Yes please give me all the big FAs that perennial strugglers like North, St Kilda and GC have managed to attract.

You've got it completely the wrong way round. FAs leave bottom teams to go to top contending clubs. Bottom teams let their gun players leave in FA because they potentially get a extremely high draft pick compo.

Which reminds me of another one I missed with Hawthorn in their dominant era getting Frawley as FA from a cellar dwelling Melbourne at the time. Again better calibre than anyone we've managed to get in FA. So unless you can come up with some examples, stop with your spin.

Yes please give me all the big FAs that perennial strugglers like North, St Kilda and GC have managed to attract.

You've got it completely the wrong way round. FAs leave bottom teams to go to top contending clubs. Bottom teams let their gun players leave in FA because they potentially get a extremely high draft pick compo.

Which reminds me of another one I missed with Hawthorn in their dominant era getting Frawley as FA from a cellar dwelling Melbourne at the time. Again better calibre than anyone we've managed to get in FA. So unless you can come up with some examples, stop with your spin.

Hawks had the salary cap space for Frawley. From memory, it was Brad Sewell who retired. Goes hand in hand. You either need to lose a player on a significant salary through trade or retirement to create the TPA space for a FA. You can go through most of the FA movement over the years and it’ll be a similar story. Clubs who artificially create that space by backending contracts like we did to accommodate the Beams trade can come to grief.

The fact he said he would have taken Ryan with our first pick if Allan didn’t slide tells me the guy is well and truly past his used by date
There are lots of better options - even Essendon finally cut the cord with Dodoro.
Our club has been asleep at the wheel since the flag. Time for some big decisions
I’ll give you the same challenge - give me 5 recruiters who’ve kept their team contending for as long as Hine.

I read somewhere recently that we aren't in the running, I hope it's not true

He hates Collingwood with a passion as do most of the older Norf players (and the rest of the club really) so he wouldn't come to us, also reportedly looking to get paid in the $750-800k+ bracket over 5-6 years, so we're probably not into him at that price.

The problem most of us have with Hine is, he doesn't seem to want to pick any key talls.
Can count on one hand the talls we have selected via the draft in the past 10 years and failed miserably.
Picking young talls is a lottery, as we saw with McMahon McClarty. Steene, Roos and Begg are still unknowns.
Then we have Kreuger,, AJ McStay.
Defenders in Frampton, Eyre and Dean.

No one would be making a criticism that we lack talls if AJ, Kreuger, McStay, Reef and Cox were firing, they’d be complaining we have too many talls, and should have prioritize other areas.

Last edited:
He hates Collingwood with a passion as do most of the older Norf players (and the rest of the club really) so he wouldn't come to us, also reportedly looking to get paid in the $750-800k+ bracket over 5-6 years, so we're probably not into him at that price.
He's best buddies with Bruz & pretty close to a few other Pies players, so that would be weird if he hates us so much.. 😂

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I’ve made my point - Melb, Rich were bottom dwellers, and when they turned it around they had plenty of cap space to recruit guns.
Meanwhile - Contenders by definition have stars that take up cap space making recruitment of more stars impossible.
Look at all the trouble we got into trying to keep all our stars, and similarly GWS.

I think I’ve made my point - Melb, Rich were bottom dwellers, and when they turned it around they had plenty of cap space to recruit guns.
Meanwhile - Contenders by definition have stars that take up cap space making recruitment of more stars impossible.
Look at all the trouble we got into trying to keep all our stars, and similarly GWS.
Which exactly proves my point that if recruitment of more established stars is impossible then we obviously need to rely on the draft to find the future stars who don't take up much salary space.

And you've just admitted that it has been impossible for us to trade/FA stars which is basically what I've been saying the whole time.

Which exactly proves my point that if recruitment of more established stars is impossible then we obviously need to rely on the draft to find the future stars who don't take up much salary space.

And you've just admitted that it has been impossible for us to trade/FA stars which is basically what I've been saying the whole time.
No - you said we over pay.
I asked you tell us which Clubs regularly recruit elite FA’s at low cost.
You couldn’t do it.
You then diverted the debate.
Sorry I don’t have the energy to go around in circles.

Picking young talls is a lottery, as we saw with McMahon McClarty. Steene, Roos and Begg are still unknowns.
Then we have Kreuger,, AJ McStay.
Defenders in Frampton, Eyre and Dean.

No one would be making a criticism that we lack talls if AJ, Kreuger, McStay, Reef and Cox were firing, they’d be complaining we have too many talls, and should have prioritize other areas.
Don't agree, Hine's prioritised HB flankers types over a number of drafts.
We've missed out on a number of talls over his tenure, Naughton the obvious one.
Purely stating his preferences has been selecting best available and gone for medium to small types in the ND.
McStay, Krueger, Frampton, obviously traded in.

lol Richmond won a flag and a minor premiership before signing Lynch. Hardly a bottom dweller

We've missed out on a number of talls over his tenure, Naughton the obvious one.
Purely stating his preferences has been selecting best available and gone for medium to small types in the ND.
I’d be absolutely shocked if Hine was setting the strategic direction on types of player prioritised year to year…

Might be time to make a Change as head of Drafting

I’d be absolutely shocked if Hine was setting the strategic direction on types of player prioritised year to year…
Seems a bit of disagreement here on the role of recruiter vs list manager and where the coaches sit in all this.

PS - and the difference between recruiting/ drafting and trading

Last edited:
I’ve made the point several times that his record of keeping us contending makes these criticisms hollow.
As I’ve asked others - give me 5 recruiters who’ve done a better job at keeping their clubs contending.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back