List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade Talk 2016 Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff Kennett says Hawthorn’s ‘clinical’ list management separates it from rival clubs
f9b7319f18a3e8a1a9fb2296ad15a999

MICHAEL WARNER, Herald Sun
October 15, 2016 5:45pm
Subscriber only
f9b7319f18a3e8a1a9fb2296ad15a999

HAWTHORN’S “clinical” approach to list management is what separates them from other clubs, former Hawks president Jeff Kennett declared on Friday.

Kennett gave a thumbs up to coach Alastair Clarkson’s treatment of club greats Sam Mitchell and Jordan Lewis.

“It’s what separates Hawthorn, in one sense, from the rest,” Kennett said.

“I’ve always said, in order to be successful in any organisation — and that includes sporting bodies — you’ve got to have very good people from top to bottom and you’ve got to have very good governance — and you can’t take your eye off what is the objective, and in a football club it is winning premierships.

“Over the years we have seen many clubs that have done well, won premierships and then dropped off the radar all together.”

Kennett said the Hawks fell away in 2009 after winning a flag, partly due to injuries, before replenishing the list to add three more premierships in 2013, 2014 and 2015.

“I look at what is happening now and see it as another highly-professional, terribly clinical act of professionalism,” Kennett said.

“When Hawthorn signed those four players earlier in the year — Shaun Burgoyne, Josh Gibson, Sam Mitchell and Luke Hodge — I thought to myself: ‘This is unsustainable, these guys are all very good contributors, but they’re all getting older and they’re all a little slower’.

“You can have one or two of them, but I didn’t think you could have four.

“What the club has done is knowing that, having identified people who will give us speed — and we must all admit that the AFL game as it is played today is faster than I have ever seen in my life — so unless you’ve got speed, particularly down the wings, you are limiting your opportunities.

“In the end, the club and the membership is bigger than any individual — and that is something Hawthorn has been able to demonstrate since about 2005.”

Please Gubby read the bolded part above and make it happen because no one at our Club has since 2010!
Has hawthorn recruited some we don't know about, apparently it's speed they have recruited for not sure tom Mitchell is super quick, vickory, um no! I guess omeara but he could well be on 1 leg next year. No one replacing Hill, possibly hartung going looks like there losing more speed than they are receiving lol

"... and now you may piss on the bride. "

"Should anyone here present know of any reason that this couple should not be joined in holy matrimony, back one out now or forever hold your peace."

I used to think this way. And trust me I can understand the desire to be around family support, especially when you've got young kids like Gibbs et al.

However, listening to Harf on SEN has really changed my mind and given me a hard line stance.

Seriously these guys are getting paid a fortune to play professional sport in a national competition. If you want to get paid this money you have to accept that you are in fact part of a national competition and be willing to ply your trade anywhere.

If you're not that's fine. No one is forcing you to.

Therefore, if you're from WA and you want to be guaranteed to play footy in WA, go play in the WAFL. Same for SA and SANFL etc etc.
It's a disgrace really when you consider how many young men and women we send to places like Afghanistan and Iraq and put in harms way for 6 months of the year, separated from their families for bugger all money really. You can say they signed up for it and 99% of our defence force wouldn't even bat an eye lid and just go and do what they have to. You pay a guy $100k upwards to move interstate and play sport for 6 months of the year and they lose their minds.....My god we need to bring back National Service to put things in perspective.

It's a disgrace really when you consider how many young men and women we send to places like Afghanistan and Iraq and put in harms way for 6 months of the year, separated from their families for bugger all money really. You can say they signed up for it and 99% of our defence force wouldn't even bat an eye lid and just go and do what they have to. You pay a guy $100k upwards to move interstate and play sport for 6 months of the year and they lose their minds.....My god we need to bring back National Service to put things in perspective.

Dumbest thing I have read on here for ages, and that is saying something. This is a football competition, nor war. National service. WTF.

If Darcy Moore goes through this and needs to retire from footy I hope you are just as supportive.
Of course I would be supportive. I don't sit around wringing my hands about the current predicament the club is in. If Moore goes through it and has to stop playing, so be it.
My reply was based on you thinking that the story is bullshit because Marsh won't be able to play footy when suffering from depression. You don't get it. Maintain your line that the club is a shambles and don't bother referring to the player and his issues........unless it's Buckley of course.

Dumbest thing I have read on here for ages, and that is saying something. This is a football competition, nor war. National service. WTF.
And that's the typical attitude these days - you're right, It's just a football competition and that's my whole point!

Has hawthorn recruited some we don't know about, apparently it's speed they have recruited for not sure tom Mitchell is super quick, vickory, um no! I guess omeara but he could well be on 1 leg next year. No one replacing Hill, possibly hartung going looks like there losing more speed than they are receiving lol

Do you think Sam Mitchell is slow or quick?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some believe that conscription provides the discipline and structure that young adults need that is typically void from their parents who cuddle them. In the military you don't get to do what you want to do. You do what you are told and in the process build the resilience you need to survive in this big bad world.
Too many literal people on this board. Just can't draw parallels between concepts for them selves.

The other Mitchell is the same pace. Last time I saw him he wasn't Usain Bolt.

Just trying to grasp his concept of quick........no need to chime in because I have posted something Hawthorn related.

Give me a "Sam Mitchell/Dane Swan" over a "quick" Anderson/Hill everyday of the week..........just saying!

Yeah, nothing like enforced PTSD to teach someone a lesson.

Just trying to grasp his concept of quick........no need to chime in because I have posted something Hawthorn related.

Give me a "Sam Mitchell/Dane Swan" over a "quick" Anderson/Hill everyday of the week..........just saying!
I would say Dane Swan was deceivingly fast, I thought he had explosive pace but not sure over a distance. Sam Mitchell is just plain slow but adapts his game well to compensate for this. He knows it.

He made it up.
Cut him some slack. Rumoured on a few places and where is smoke there is fire. It is not exactly unexpected. So who cares where Nathan goes to. Pity. Was a good clubman but like Cloke saw the writing on the wall.

Yeah, nothing like enforced PTSD to teach someone a lesson.
Yeah well that's another separate issue and something that has plagued this country for years. We've never been good at re-integrating our service men let alone welcoming them home. In fact we don't integrate anyone well in this country. I'm not going to derail, my point is that their are a lot more people making bigger sacrifices than playing football in a state they don't want to be at.

Last edited:

A bit touchy. Btw Swanny had pace when Sam never did. Just saying.

With (potentially) Marsh, Brown and Frost gone, other than Keeffe returning, do we have any other irons in the fire in terms of KPD targets?
In terms of forwards, with Stewart looking likely to head to Essendon, are we looking at others(e.g. NM Black)?

I would say Dane Swan was deceivingly fast, I thought he had explosive pace but not sure over a distance. Sam Mitchell is just plain slow but adapts his game well to compensate for this. He knows it.

Both had/have footy smarts I would take that over the Usain Bolt types anyday.

Peter Daisos says hi.

Yeah well that's another separate issue and something that has plagued this country for years. We've never been good at re-integrating our service man let a lone welcoming them home. In fact we don't integrate anyone well in this country. I'm not going to derail, my point is that their are a lot more people making bigger sacrifices than playing football in a state they don't want to be at.
I beg to differ.

Yeah well that's another separate issue and something that has plagued this country for years. We've never been good at re-integrating our service man let a lone welcoming them home. In fact we don't integrate anyone well in this country. I'm not going to derail, my point is that their are a lot more people making bigger sacrifices than playing football in a state they don't want to be at.
A worthwhile conversation for another time and place perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back