List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade Talk 2016 Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dream trade. With Greenwood linked to Port and a possible cap squeeze on there it is definitely worth an ask. Seems the exact type we need. Tall, athletic key back in mid 20s who can pinch in the Ruck. Vic boy too.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

As much as I love to have Trengrove here it won't happen unless we give up more than Greenwood. Probably someone like Cam O'Shea or Tom Jonas is in the mix here.

hawthorns turnover since the 2012 GF

Lake
Guerra
Franklin
Mitchell
Hale
Bailly
Sewell
Hill
Suckling
X Ellis
Savage
Young
Lewis??

Their turnover 2008 for the five years 6 years was more than ours.
Geelong since2011 also more turnover.

I'd gain angst if it was turning over Grundy, Pendlebury, Adams, Treloar, Grundy, De a Goey etc.

Can't see the angst for the onwards movement of Frost, Lubumba, Dawes, etc prefer retaining Brownmon the cheap but became too expensive (Saints can keep him)
Meh, time was up...

As an aside: As long as we retain elite like Mitchell, Lewis.... errr sorry wrong Club forgot for a moment ;)

So even then, doesn't the above highlight even more what a terrible job we're doing?

If both Geelong and Hawthorn have turned over more of their lists (or the same) and yet still stayed successful/relevant, then surely that highlights our Club's incompetence even further.

I read "Brownmon" and "meh time was up" in a Jamaican accent. It's going to be a good day.
Yeh mon, I have a bit of bob Marley in the back ground on.
He's band the Wailers, kinda makes it perfect mon, for big footy ;)

So even then, doesn't the above highlight even more what a terrible job we're doing?

If both Geelong and Hawthorn have turned over more of their lists (or the same) and yet still stayed successful/relevant, then surely that highlights our Club's incompetence even further.
Not nessecarily ,we are just getting rid of dead wood, and building a team of want to play attitude
Not chew fat at the cost of the club

It's not incompetence as you would list it.
It's just not being good enough, and hence list movement.
All the clubs are roughly doing the same thing, turning over lists to find success.

Only one club each year is truly successful.
Just the game were all in.

Hawthorn win flags they successful, others dont they're not successful.

Maybe when the club realised Howe's capabilities as a defender they were happy to let Brown go?

You'd have to assume that's another 400-odd k spared up.

Is it possible that when offsetting Swan, Cloke, Toovey, Caff and Brown with Wells and Mayne that we'd still have 1 mill sitting there?

I'm no good with salary caps and obviously it's hard when you don't know exactly who earns exactly what, but it is interesting.
When the club realised that Howe was a very good medium/3rd tall intercept marking rebound defender they decided to move on their full back? That doesn't make much sense.

Dees will make finals next year.

Adding Hibberd, Lewis, Melksham and potentially Rockliff.

Replace the bottom 4 players in your 22 with those 4 and you'll pick up an extra 3-4 wins.

And they'll be praised until the cows come home. It will be quickly forgotten how much of a basket case they've been.

Haven't made the finals since what, 2006?

Pick 4 and 9 last year in 2015.
Pick 2 and 3 in 2014.
Pick 9 in 2013.
Pick 2 and 4 in 2012.
Pick 1 and 2 in 2009.
Pick 1 in 2008.

Etc.

It'd be sad if they didn't make the finals. They've been given more than enough help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we definitely out of chasing rockliff to your knowledge UI?

From what i've been told he's very close to agreeing to a deal with Melbourne.

I think the only thing that could derail the deal if another club comes in late and offers to pay his full contract (Lions will pay a portion at this stage)

From what i've been told he's very close to agreeing to a deal with Melbourne.

I think the only thing that could derail the deal if another club comes in late and offers to pay his full contract (Lions will pay a portion at this stage)
That's a little depressing!! Lol

So all the NBB, what would be your thoughts in retaining Frost, Brown, Cloke, Toovey & Marsh? reckon we would make the finals or at least improve with them for 2017. if so explain how. Keep in mind we dont get the cap space to do what we are currently doing...... go.

Thanks.

When the club realised that Howe was a very good medium/3rd tall intercept marking rebound defender they decided to move on their full back? That doesn't make much sense.

I think the way the game is going, you'll put Keeffe on the likes of a Hogan/Buddy/Hawkins and rely on Howe to come across in front and take an intercept mark or bring the ball to ground.

I just think having Howe, Reid and Keeffe is pretty dynamic if you can get some good users on the park around him, i.e. Ramsay, Smith and Scharenberg.

And it would make sense if it's true that we're actively pursuing the likes of Jake Lever... not that we're any chance of getting him, but he'd fit that style better than almost any young up and comers.

I recall people were happy earlier this year when Brown was dropped to the VFL. I don't think it's a concern that we're losing Brown as a player, as he is fairly limited. I for one cringed whenever he was about to switch it across, even to a team mate who's wide open. Similar with Frost.

That said though, it'd be great to get a tall back in our door. One that can run and kick, though. Easier said than done.

Port gotta give something decent for Greenwood. We would have to add to it to get Trengrove but he would be perfect for us as he is a good full back and can play ruck as well.

Rumour is that goldsack is keen to go back to S.A.... he's not worth much trade wise, but can be a part of any deal. Trading Goldsack also frees up 400-450k in salary cap for next year. Some of that then can go towards luring a KPD like Trengrove...

reluctant to reply as I can see 5 pages of replies...for a variety of reasons (players cooked, coaching, player revolt) we were never comparable to hawthorn or geelong before they started rebuilding on the run.

So all the NBB, what would be your thoughts in retaining Frost, Brown, Cloke, Toovey & Marsh? reckon we would make the finals or at least improve with them for 2017. if so explain how. Keep in mind we dont get the cap space to do what we are currently doing...... go.

Thanks.

Those players you mention.

Frost - Played mostly VFL
Brown - Wanted to hang onto him, but he was dropped to VFL last year.
Toovey - Was cooked and played mostly VFL late in the year when we were playing our best footy
Cloke - Contributed to 1 win vs GWS, apart from that was average.
Marsh - Didn't really have a big impact on any games but i still believe he is no where near his ceiling.

None of these players really affect us too much other than depth and possibly Brown for structure.

If we pick up a Key Defender while adding Wells, Mayne and Hoskin-Elliott, with our younger players getting another preseason under their belts.. last half of this year has set the bar for how we start 2017.

I predict 2-3 more wins next year than this season.

Still think we are undervaluing KPDs. Don't think they are easily replaced. Reid, Taz for a season, Presti, Wakes, Brown and Clement as an undersized one are maybe our only good ones since 2002. Don't see any ready replacements for them currently. We have one reliable one currently, Reid. If we don't trade for one in the next few days we are pretty exposed. Even if we get a McKenzie or Brown in we are still exposed.

I just don't rate Brown nor Frost. I'd rather a slightly undersized guy playing KD, who has good footskills and decision making, then a big KD who has crap decision making and disposal. I think what Frost and Brown offer, can be easily replaced by a state league defender. I.e. depth option. Turnovers in the back half, invariably turn into goals. That's what Brown and Frost did.

I'm happy to draft or trade in a KD but they must have good footskills, IMO. Not sure there's many trade options available to have that.

Rumour is that goldsack is keen to go back to S.A.... he's not worth much trade wise, but can be a part of any deal. Trading Goldsack also frees up 400-450k in salary cap for next year. Some of that then can go towards luring a KPD like Trengrove...

Go back to SA. He is from Gippsland. He would be moving to SA. Would be strange considering he would just about walk straight into our best 22 now that 3 defenders have left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back