List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade Talk 2016 Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Improve the list! Net outs v net ins so far has us clearly ahead.
get the list improvement part, but you were not happy about mayne coming in, so have change of mind in that regard? to have us a head
so far.

So you sense there's a cunning plan behind shedding our stocks of team talls? But not next year, because Kelly or something similar will provide temporary relief till 2018? Buckley needs results next year. If the loss of talls is to be compensated, it must happen now.

Everyone is working on the assumption that if we don't make finals Buckley is gone. That is highly likely given past history. However club may have decided that list needs to be purged of low skill players and if that leaves us short on key defenders and we miss the finals so be it. It may flow that Buckley does not get sacked.

Highly unlikely, but if Gubby really doesn't rate the list how can you blame the coach for not making the finals?

Maybe when the club realised Howe's capabilities as a defender they were happy to let Brown go?

You'd have to assume that's another 400-odd k spared up.

Is it possible that when offsetting Swan, Cloke, Toovey, Caff and Brown with Wells and Mayne that we'd still have 1 mill sitting there?

I'm no good with salary caps and obviously it's hard when you don't know exactly who earns exactly what, but it is interesting.

I'm feeling a lot less comfortable about trade week than a few days ago. Bringing in Mayne and staring down the barrel of losing Brown, Frost, Marsh, Witts and Cloke among others. That's an overhaul of key forwards, key defenders and a new ruck that is needed. It's tough enough addressing one of those areas in one off season. We now need to do the lot at once. It's so risky the path have chosen here.

Mate thats understandable but I think with this stuff need to wait until the end of trade period and possibly even the draft before worrying to much. I reckon there are a few different things that could play out. Here are a few;

Frost for a young Lion tall like Close. He is more forward but might let White back.

Eric MacKenzie trade

Young GWS defender like Corr or Finalyson. With Davis, Haynes, Tomlinson pretty set in the back half and Himmelberg and Macreadie in the wings one of those could be shaken loose.

James Stewart might get revisited and look to send Jesse White back.

Tom Lonergan I would think unlikely but Cats might delist him to free up $ but if we wanted him then I suspect we would have been linked by now

Could also look at Tim Mohr who I think has played good footy at GWS and will find it hard to get back in. Be v cheap and wont let you down.

Worth remembering when we went into 2016 I reckon most of us wouldnt have rated the tall defenders at Dogs or Swans v highly. Defence these days is more team based and getting numbers to the contest so playing more guys like Howe, Goldsack, Scharenberg, maynard support that strategy and one or two taller types. Whoever CFC pick I would think it will be a mobile key defender who reads the play well and plays to instruction. Frost and Brown were not those players.

I'm feeling a lot less comfortable about trade week than a few days ago. Bringing in Mayne and staring down the barrel of losing Brown, Frost, Marsh, Witts and Cloke among others. That's an overhaul of key forwards, key defenders and a new ruck that is needed. It's tough enough addressing one of those areas in one off season. We now need to do the lot at once. It's so risky the path have chosen here.

I agree Quicky. I can understand the need to improve the backline. We all know Frosty & Browny had their disposal & decision making issues.
But it doesn't mean we don't need a decent tall defender. Reid can't be relied on with his injury history & Keeffe will get pantsed big time by the likes of Hawkins, Buddy, Kennedy, Walker & the Reiwoldts. I hope we have a plan this trade period to fix this. Because to me it looks like an obvious weakness.
Replacing poor tall defenders with better one's makes a lot of sense. Replacing them with nothing doesn't. Hopefully there is a bit more to play out yet.

Everyone is working on the assumption that if we don't make finals Buckley is gone. That is highly likely given past history. However club may have decided that list needs to be purged of low skill players and if that leaves us short on key defenders and we miss the finals so be it. It may flow that Buckley does not get sacked.

Highly unlikely, but if Gubby really doesn't rate the list how can you blame the coach for not making the finals?
Eddy already came out and refuted Buckley's comments quite quickly do you think the plan was in place to clean out!!! I think Buckley just caved in to media scrutiny!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree Quicky. I can understand the need to improve the backline. We all know Frosty & Browny had their disposal & decision making issues.
But it doesn't mean we don't need a decent tall defender. Reid can't be relied on with his injury history & Keeffe will get pantsed big time by the likes of Hawkins, Buddy, Kennedy, Walker & the Reiwoldts. I hope we have a plan this trade period to fix this. Because to me it looks like an obvious weakness.
Replacing poor tall defenders with better one's makes a lot of sense. Replacing them with nothing doesn't. Hopefully there is a bit more to play out yet.
And inb4 we trade best midfielder available

Is trengrove an actual rumour or just a dream trade scenario?

Dream trade. With Greenwood linked to Port and a possible cap squeeze on there it is definitely worth an ask. Seems the exact type we need. Tall, athletic key back in mid 20s who can pinch in the Ruck. Vic boy too.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

so gubby has culled the ones who cant kick out of the backline one left that's marley. I think we have someone up our sleeve for the back line and I hope its not that spud dunn from Melbourne as the herald sun says

Those are exactly my thoughts as well. I don't think Gubby Allan rates the list and when you look at all the players leaving, they all have weaknesses in their game that have been exposed in recent years. That being the case, you can hardly blame Buckley for not making finals next year, so doesn't it make sense to bite the bullet now and make the changes necessary to improve the list and cop the short term pain, if it puts us where we need to be around 2018/19.

I"m talking the last 5 seasons. Not last 5 days. Hawthorn's turnover since 2010 doesn't really come close to matching ours does it?
Their turnover 2008 for the five years 6 years was more than ours.
Geelong since2011 also more turnover.

I'd gain angst if it was turning over Grundy, Pendlebury, Adams, Treloar, Grundy, De a Goey etc.

Can't see the angst for the onwards movement of Frost, Lubumba, Dawes, etc prefer retaining Brownmon the cheap but became too expensive (Saints can keep him)
Meh, time was up...

As an aside: As long as we retain elite like Mitchell, Lewis.... errr sorry wrong Club forgot for a moment ;)

Their turnover 2008 for the five years 6 years was more than ours.
Geelong since2011 also more turnover.

I'd gain angst if it was turning over Grundy, Pendlebury, Adams, Treloar, Grundy, De a Goey etc.

Can't see the angst for the onwards movement of Frost, Lubumba, Dawes, etc prefer retaining Brownmon the cheap but became too expensive (Saints can keep him)
Meh, time was up...

As an aside: As long as we retain elite like Mitchell, Lewis.... errr sorry wrong Club forgot for a moment ;)
I read "Brownmon" and "meh time was up" in a Jamaican accent. It's going to be a good day.

Those are exactly my thoughts as well. I don't think Gubby Allan rates the list and when you look at all the players leaving, they all have weaknesses in their game that have been exposed in recent years. That being the case, you can hardly blame Buckley for not making finals next year, so doesn't it make sense to bite the bullet now and make the changes necessary to improve the list and cop the short term pain, if it puts us where we need to be around 2018/19.

I agree, although it must be said that Buckley has been a huge driving force behind the direction of our list re-shape...and everything was planned around our list peaking in 2017. Given we are about to enter into 2017 and all of a sudden our football manager "does not rate the list", it means we got the rebuild wrong. Usually heads roll when that happens. Apart from 1 or 2 assistant coaches and Balme, the actual catalysts of the list rebuild still remain. It's unusual really.

I think Buckley should be rightfully feeling the pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back