List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade Talk 2016 Part 4 - The Final Day: Sailing into the abyss ...

Remove this Banner Ad

You're the exact kind of poster who would be saying guys like Williams Witts Brown ect are young guns / good players if they stayed.

Now they leave they're useless spuds but guys like Mayne and Dunn (barely AFL standard recently) are brilliant additions :rolleyes:

Check my posting history about any of these players or any of our players who are poor ball users and decision makers.

The guys we have brought in aren't guns however they are upgrades on everything we lost.
Wells in particular is very good.

He hates Bucks....would never entertain a return to Pies 'IF' we were at all interested in him....but no thanks..

What he thinks of Bucks is irrelevant to whether or not he comes back to Collingwood. When he looks back at his career he will realise that Bucks was right to trade him away. He just isnt and never really has been good enough as his subsequent years at Melbourne proved.

Another premiership player who was in the right spot at the right time and was in a patch of good form for about that season and a bit of the next.

I suppose what we do have available in terms of Tallahassee in the backline are:

Reid
Keefe
Dunne
White

Keefe can effectively replace Frost and Dunne replaces Brown.

Given White spent a bit of time on the backline (and I thought he played some decent games there), we have the added flexibility of throwing him in defence if need be.

In fact, hopefully this year Bucks takes more risks on game day and attempts to change things up if the forward line isn't working. All 4 of those listed can play forward (as well as Howe obviously).

What he thinks of Bucks is irrelevant to whether or not he comes back to Collingwood. When he looks back at his career he will realise that Bucks was right to trade him away. He just isnt and never really has been good enough as his subsequent years at Melbourne proved.

Another premiership player who was in the right spot at the right time and was in a patch of good form for about that season and a bit of the next.
The thing that gets me about Dawes is that his highest goal tally in a game is 4. 4!!!!!

In 2011 we were smashing nearly every team by 10 plus goals and kicking huge tallies yet he couldn't get more than 4. You would have thought that the sun may have shined on his arse one day??

I still don't think we screwed on the WHE deal, but like all trades for all clubs, you are not going to know for at least a year or more whether it was of good value or not.
Saints gave us a future 2nd for freeman last year. Was that fair?
WHE or freeman? Answer: who knows yet, but both of their ceilings could be very high.
Yes on both their ceilings are high.
HoskinElliot can get to the ceiling but poor old Freeman he can't even get on the floor with his two week hammies....

;)

I suppose what we do have available in terms of Tallahassee in the backline are:

Reid
Keefe
Dunne
White

Keefe can effectively replace Frost and Dunne replaces Brown.

Given White spent a bit of time on the backline (and I thought he played some decent games there), we have the added flexibility of throwing him in defence if need be.

In fact, hopefully this year Bucks takes more risks on game day and attempts to change things up if the forward line isn't working. All 4 of those listed can play forward (as well as Howe obviously).

Add Howe Goldsack and hopefully Scharenburg and possibly others as kp options should you choose to play a shorter more mobile defence . Plus we are likely to draft at least one tall...hopefully.

All four of those key defenders you named (plus the three I named!!!) are possiilities to also swing forward. The same cannot be said of Brown and Frost. Perhaps Marsh although his kicking is suspect....

He hates Bucks....would never entertain a return to Pies 'IF' we were at all interested in him....but no thanks..
If any person was offered a couple hundred grand that they couldn't get elsewhere watch the love return....
Instantly!

Add Howe Goldsack and hopefully Scharenburg and possibly others as kp options should you choose to play a shorter more mobile defence . Plus we are likely to draft at least one tall...hopefully.

All four of those key defenders you named (plus the three I named!!!) are possiilities to also swing forward. The same cannot be said of Brown and Frost. Perhaps Marsh although his kicking is suspect....
Yes Goldsack. I thought he was very stiff last year. Should have played more footy

I've worked with a boss I despised, for 2 years, never got in the way of treating each other as professionals should
Fair enough too.

In football, player on scrap heap v being paid say even 150 k to 200 k they will learn to love the coach.
Dawes is a bright fellow apparently, just an average conveyance, but that's ok too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just looking through some team stat's this year all the top teams have multiple players with over 350m gains in there team it seems thats the way the games are getting played with Shaw(518m) at gws and Boyd(478m) at dogs leading the way in there backlines. Our highest is a player that only played 2 games in ramsay(339m). We Definatly need to improve in this area we are poor at transitioning from back to fwd. Brown(115m), Frost (131m)and Williams(258m) were not helping when coupled with there poor disposal, I believe Lyndon Dunn wasn't in the plans a month ago but with the way our backline ended up we needed something. He might be old but he is hardly on the decline just yet he has averaged over 370m for the last 3 years that's more metres than pendlebury. I know it's not a life saver but it certainly softens the blow!
Yes he was VFL but unlike Cloke it wasn't because of form, it was a coach wanting to develop young backs!
Where do you get the stats for metres gained as I find that a very interesting and useful stat.

The difference as to us vs Blues targetting GWS players is we have gone after guys in their best 22. See Treloar and Adams. WHE is borderline.

That is also why we seem to pay more than other clubs for their players for those who are crying in terms of what we give up to secure players from GWS.

SOS would want a couple of these players to kick on. 10 players now on the list from GWS, whereas all of ours to date have been very good performers.

The difference as to us vs Blues targetting GWS players is we have gone after guys in their best 22. See Treloar and Adams. WHE is borderline.

That is also why we seem to pay more than other clubs for their players for those who are crying in terms of what we give up to secure players from GWS.

SOS would want a couple of these players to kick on. 10 players now on the list from GWS, whereas all of ours to date have been very good performers.

And given their best 22 is shit....thats saying something!

Here's a link to current player list numbers and available list spots.
Unfortunately our website hasn't been updated so it's still confusing whether Gault has been delisted or not.
Interestingly, Hawthorn have removed the players they traded out, (yet another thing they do better) and still have to delist 2 more.
https://www.reddit.com/r/AFL/comments/58ke5l/list_situation_211016/

lukem

Sooo, lots of serious talk about our new recruits but on a more jovial note, what nickname are we going to give them?

Or do we use their existing ones? If so, does anyone know what they are?
WHE's nick is Willy.
I don’t think I can survive another round of bad dad jokes. But I am up for the challenge.

Ok heres a secondary question about Gault.

Could be be rerookied even if the club wanted to? I thought the limit on the rookie list was three years. Assume he has to be promoted (which wont happen) or delisted?
It is. I would assume it resets though if the club de-lists him and then re-drafts him. God knows why they would though. Pretty sure Swan Districts has already announced that he's signed with them for 2017.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade Talk 2016 Part 4 - The Final Day: Sailing into the abyss ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back